Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Drinkability Isn't A Word

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #31
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthebuffs View Post
In the top header part of your description you have it as 5.5, I didn't notice in the bottom spec area you have it as 6. That pretty much makes up the difference.

This ones penciled in about 3 brews down the line.
That would explain it, my mistake. Yes, I make this as a 6 gallon batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 05:45 AM   #32
brew502
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im still new to brewing (Irish Stout in secondary, hefe weizen in primary)....but my friends and mainly my dad only drink BMC's im wanting to brew something slightly close to a BMC and this looks like what I need to please their palet for now until I convert them

the only problem tho is that im still doing extract .....is there anyway to convert this to extract for me please

It would be greatly appreicated

Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #33
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew502 View Post
Im still new to brewing (Irish Stout in secondary, hefe weizen in primary)....but my friends and mainly my dad only drink BMC's im wanting to brew something slightly close to a BMC and this looks like what I need to please their palet for now until I convert them

the only problem tho is that im still doing extract .....is there anyway to convert this to extract for me please

It would be greatly appreicated
Hi 502. One of the keys to making good lighter beer from extract is to use a technique called "late extract addition" You add a small amount of your extract at the beginning of the boil, perhaps 1lb but you don't have to measure, approximating is fine. Then add the remainder (i.e. most of the extract) with 10 minutes to go in the boil. The idea is to minimize any carmelization of the malt, which creates both a darker color and deeper flavor. When you do the late extract addition, take the pot off the heat and stir like a mad man - you want to be certain that no extract is burned on the bottom of the pot. Then return the pot to the heat and continue to stir.

One thing I do not know is how/if extract brewers use rice syrup in their light beers. I've never done that. I do know that you can't just steep rice like you would specialty grains in extract brewing (such as crystal malts, or chocolate malt). So, in the extract recipe below, I've not included rice syrup. But if you wanted to add some, you use it to replace some of the extra light malt extract.

I have included some cane sugar, though, making up roughly 10% of the fermentables. This will, oddly enough, dry out the beer - dry and crisp is the goal here.

I have made an extract batch similar to this recipe, it came out light and dry. Its a more flavorful version of a BMC, its similar, not exactly the same, because you are using better ingredients, its an ale instead of lager, and its handmade, not mass produced. Think of it this way - I can bake a really really good loaf of white bread, but it is not exactly like Wonder bread.

On the hops, I use organic hops and grains, so the hops listed here are based on that criteria. What you want to do is use german-ish noble hops like hallertauer and spalt and keep the IBUs below 15. The hop and schedule I use below works, but you don't have to follow it exactly, if you have other hops available.

Here's the extract recipe and info:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.25 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) 89.47 %
0.25 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [7.40 %] (60 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [7.40 %] (20 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.50 oz Spalter [5.20 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 10.53 %
1 Pkgs US-05 (Fermentis) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.035 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.007 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.55 %
Bitterness: 14.2 IBU
Calories: 134 cal/pint
Est Color: 2.5 SRM

Cheers!

Old 07-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #34
marcelo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

I brew this recipe yesterday, and now its fermenting, but its came out in the air lock a strong smell like cider, becouse of the cane sugar i add.
I keep the sugar under 6% to avoid this, its smell more like a sugar cane juice.
Did your smell the same in the first ferm. days?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #35
marcelo
Recipes 

And now, the smell is a lot bad, like sulfur, or amonia, very hard to be in my shop, its smell all over the place.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #36
marcelo
Recipes 

it was the corn smell combined with cane sugar fermentation smell, its in the secondary now, and raw corn taste still there. I cant find AE aroud here, and read about make it from a 1 pound of malt and add it to the ferm. what do you think? did anybody try it?
nee suggestion.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #37
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Hi Marcelo. I've been out of the country and didn't see your posts. I don't appreciate the corn taste either, I prefer to mash without it, but I know many people make lighter beers using corn as an adjunct.

Sulfur and ammonia smell very different - I have made other beers that produced a sulfurish aroma during fermentation, because that is a character or quality of some yeast strains. It eventually went away. With this recipe and US-05 or WLP001, I don't think you should be getting any sulfur odors.

If you brewed on the 6th, and today is the 17th, I would do my best to relax and let things develop. I would wait at least until the 27th (3 weeks from your brew day) before I checked on it again. Just let it sit and see what happens, would be my advice.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #38
marcelo
Recipes 

Bad news, bottle today and it was cloudy and taste like raw corn meal, smell like chlorine or samething like. exactly the same taste and smell with my cream of three crops, now i sure i cant brew corn meal beer again.
but let´s wait and taste how it will age.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #39
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I'm a little confused, Marcelo - my recipe doesn't include corn, unlike cream of three crops. Did you use corn meal?

With light beers, if you have problems with your water, sanitizing, yeast health, fermentation temps, or anything else that might cause off-flavors, there aren't enough other flavors to cover them up. In other words, brewing clean light beers is a challenge.

Sorry your batch isn't living up to your expectations - but you're right to have patience and see how it develops.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #40
marcelo
Recipes 

Yes, I used corn meal, because I'm trying to make a beer like Corona or Miller. Actually I was wrong you did not use corn, but rice, as I already knew the result of using cornmeal on the beer, I wanted advice on the use of AE, but next I will try with rice, I have used and know works. What about my bottled beer yesterday the way is to wait, and if the taste improves or not, I'll drink it all the same.
thanks for your help!

Quick Reply