Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #981
cbdeacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

trust everyone on this one ...I followed the recipe and the procedures to the
letter and it far exceeded my expectations

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #982
jswanson737
Recipes 

Holy goodness. SOLD! This looks fantastic!! Sorry if this is a repost, on a quick break at work and 99 pages is a bit to read through at once. Couple questions though...

1- I'm doing a five gallon batch, but have never used rice hulls before, what would the quantity be?
2- I am going to do a 90 minute boil, does this mean I boil the bittering hops for the full 90 minutes? Or add them at 60 minutes?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #983
cbdeacon
Recipes 

half pound minute rice...that's right...from the grocery store....add bittering hops at 60 min

Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #984
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When you say minute rice, are you really talking about uncle bens minute rice?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #985
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I don't know what I was thinking! This beer is freaking amazing. I let it sit another day, clear my taste buds and had a few. This beer is truely awesome. I went out to get a budweiser just to see the different and this cream of 3 crops rocks!

Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #986
Mudflap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wow! 100 page thread! BM musta done something right. I'm brewing this tomorrow (5.5gal) and had a couple of questions/concerns hopefully you guys can put to rest. And I apologize if this has been asked/answered, I did read through a lot of the thread :

1) This is my first 90min boil, with this smallish grain bill, are you batch sparge guys just sparging to your needed pre-boil volume or are you checking gravity and stopping the sparge at a point then adding water to the kettle to get up to needed preboil? I'm concerned about oversparging this to get 90min boil vol.

2) I read in the earlier parts of the thread that using the op recipe several people thought the amount of corn was a bit much and overpowered the clean,crisp taste of the beer. Lots of folks liked the beer as original, but I noticed a lot of comments like "will definitely make this one again, but next time cut corn in half" or "increase the rice" or both. Whats the consensus from you tweakers who have done multiple batches of this and played around with the adjunct amounts?

Sorry to be so concerned first batch, but I'm making this for my sis's wedding and a bunch of BMC'ers and I usually don't brew this style. I need to get this one right the first time without too much corny-ness! Thanks

Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA

Old 07-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #987
Mudflap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
When you say minute rice, are you really talking about uncle bens minute rice?
As long as it's "Minute" rice, you're good to go. No precook, no milling, straight into the mash...
Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA

Old 07-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #988
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Wow! 100 page thread! BM musta done something right. I'm brewing this tomorrow (5.5gal) and had a couple of questions/concerns hopefully you guys can put to rest. And I apologize if this has been asked/answered, I did read through a lot of the thread :

1) This is my first 90min boil, with this smallish grain bill, are you batch sparge guys just sparging to your needed pre-boil volume or are you checking gravity and stopping the sparge at a point then adding water to the kettle to get up to needed preboil? I'm concerned about oversparging this to get 90min boil vol.
I fly sparge, but I just sparged to collect required pre-boil volume, ignoring the SG of the runnings. I'd plan on a high-efficiency with this grist, I got 90%.

Quote:
2) I read in the earlier parts of the thread that using the op recipe several people thought the amount of corn was a bit much and overpowered the clean,crisp taste of the beer. Lots of folks liked the beer as original, but I noticed a lot of comments like "will definitely make this one again, but next time cut corn in half" or "increase the rice" or both. Whats the consensus from you tweakers who have done multiple batches of this and played around with the adjunct amounts?
I have only brewed it as originally stated: 70% 2-row, 24% corn, 6% rice. My first batch is at the tail end of primary (1.008 and falling, 9 days in primary.) I've tasted they hydro samples I've pulled along the way. There is a definite corn flavor, but I don't think it's off-putting. The style guidelines say "Adjuncts can include up to 20% flaked maize in the mash, and up to 20% glucose or other sugars in the boil." I'd brew it according to the original recipe before tweaking it.

Quote:
Sorry to be so concerned first batch, but I'm making this for my sis's wedding and a bunch of BMC'ers and I usually don't brew this style. I need to get this one right the first time without too much corny-ness! Thanks
I think the corn character is nice, and it sounds like many BMC drinkers love it the way it is based on comments in this thread. Good luck!

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 07-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #989
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Tweaking the recipe...

I had to sub in a few things, a pound of wheat, a little more rice, some different hops. So I can't exactly speak to the original recipe. However, I do think this is a lot of corn and my beer did have a definite corn flavor to it, more than I liked.

Great recipe. But if you think a corn sweetness might be off putting to you, lower the corn a bit and up the rice and maybe even up the 2 row. I think for a second batch of this I'm going to do it this way and cut the wheat. Might throw in some carapils as well.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 07-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #990
Paco
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks a bunch for a great recipe! Here's a good shot at a split batch. That beer was ferment on WY Kolsch (2nd suggestion). The other half was ferment on US-05. The latest being my prefered so far. Also, I finned with gelatin for a good visual. Thanks again for that too BierMuncher!

Cheers!

PS: That's one very popular on my keg-o-rator.

002.jpg  

Quick Reply