Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 05:16 AM   #721
jrt132
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I would like to brew this beer for a family reunion (BMC drinking family), but am unable to brew AG due to space, equip and so on. I have read every post in this thread and searched a few times with no mention of an extract version. I know corn has to be mashed, but is there anyway to brew this using all extract?

I am only 5 brews and 2 EdWort's Apfelwein batches in and I don't think i will ever stop!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #722
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt132 View Post
I would like to brew this beer for a family reunion (BMC drinking family), but am unable to brew AG due to space, equip and so on. I have read every post in this thread and searched a few times with no mention of an extract version. I know corn has to be mashed, but is there anyway to brew this using all extract?

I am only 5 brews and 2 EdWort's Apfelwein batches in and I don't think i will ever stop!
figure 5 lbs grain to 3 lbs dry extract, or 3.3 lbs liquid extract, 2-row = light extract, wheat=wheat, crystal malt= do it partial mash

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee
4: Hoegarden Saison
Fermenting: English Mild

Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #723
lairscah
Recipes 

I was pointed in this direction by my brew buddy for a recipe for my natural light(ewwww) drinking wife. I am fairly new to brewing but have had nothing but success and enjoyment from my APA's. This is a great recipe for the beginner AG brewer and clears up and dries out extremely well. My favorite experience from this batch is the beginning of introducing my wife to an ale. I hate labeling folks as simple BMC drinkers but all that have tried this brew have had nothing but great reviews (and seconds, and thirds...). This is a much "lighter" brew than i typically enjoy, but enjoyable nonetheless. Not only is it a great recipe but a great platform to build hoppier brews to introduce friends and family to the wonders of homebrewing. and oh yeah I replaced the crystal with Mt. hood to up the AA to help my cause. Cheers

Last edited by lairscah; 12-18-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 12-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #724
jrt132
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
figure 5 lbs grain to 3 lbs dry extract, or 3.3 lbs liquid extract, 2-row = light extract, wheat=wheat, crystal malt= do it partial mash
Thanks for the for the information. I don't really have the equipment for a PM either. I might get a few thing for Christmas, but I will have to wait and see.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #725
PapaRib
Recipes 

Damn BierMuncher this sounds like a good brew! I'm actually going to be brewing this in a couple days for my first AG on my own. I just have a couple questions. First off, if I were to use some rice hulls in the mash to help with sparging, would a 90 min mash produce any unwanted flavors from the hulls? Second, I'm inexperienced with starters so I was going to rehydrate yeast before pitching. What kind of yeast would you recommend and how much of it should I be using for an 11 gallon batch? Thanks!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #726
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRib View Post
Damn BierMuncher this sounds like a good brew! I'm actually going to be brewing this in a couple days for my first AG on my own. I just have a couple questions. First off, if I were to use some rice hulls in the mash to help with sparging, would a 90 min mash produce any unwanted flavors from the hulls? Second, I'm inexperienced with starters so I was going to rehydrate yeast before pitching. What kind of yeast would you recommend and how much of it should I be using for an 11 gallon batch? Thanks!
I make this beer on a regular basis and typically use nottingham or us-05 with great results. I love notty for the fact that it can ferment down to 59 degrees which would make this beer pretty much lagerlike.

I would pitch 2 packs of dry yeast. Ive had so so results doing 11 gallon batches with only 1 pack of yeast.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #727
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRib View Post
Like wcarter1227 said...Notty is good. I generally use Safale-05 though.

A 90 minute mash will not extrude any flavors out of the rice hulls any more than a 60 minute mash would. I do it all the time.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #728
KC10Chief
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd like to make this beer as one of my first AG beers when I get home from my deployment next week. I don't have a prior slurry or anything since I've been gone for a long time. What yeast can I use for this? I usually use Wyeast smack packs. Which one would you recommend? It was probably in this thread somewhere, but I missed it. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #729
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm going to use Wyeast 1056 American Ale or WLP001 California Ale

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #730
PapaRib
Recipes 

Forgive my ignorance to the saying, but when you say BMC drinker, does it mean Bud, Miller, Coors? I see it everywhere and that is my best guess!

Quick Reply