Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #631
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toivo View Post
I have my second batch of Cream of Three Crops in the primary since June 6th. I am going out off town on the 25th through July 3rd. do I bottle Weds the 23rd at day 17 or do I transfer to secondary and wait til I get home on July 3rd to bottle. I am leaning towards racking and waitning. What does anyone else think?
I would bottle, but it really depends on how clear your batch is and how clear you want it to be. It's definitely finished fermenting.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #632
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm the dope who forgot to add rice to his recipe that posted a while back. This finished really dry @ 1.008. I've never had a beer get that low before so I even checked the calibration on my refractometer using distilled water, and then used the morebeer spreadsheet brix to FG calculator to make sure my math was right. It tastes okay before carbing it up. Anybody know if the lack of rice would cause it to finish so dry? It did start lower due to lacking the rice, but I didn't think the OG necessarily affected the FG on a beer. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #633
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjmac View Post
I'm the dope who forgot to add rice to his recipe that posted a while back. This finished really dry @ 1.008. I've never had a beer get that low before so I even checked the calibration on my refractometer using distilled water, and then used the morebeer spreadsheet brix to FG calculator to make sure my math was right. It tastes okay before carbing it up. Anybody know if the lack of rice would cause it to finish so dry? It did start lower due to lacking the rice, but I didn't think the OG necessarily affected the FG on a beer. Thanks.

Um, check your FG with a hydrometer. I don't think refractometers are accurate for measuring alcohols, just sugars. Although I'm sure there are some conversion equations that can account for it.

EDIT: Wait a minute! The original recipe estimated a FG of 1.005. You're not low.

Last edited by Reelale; 06-23-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #634
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Ya, for the recipe you aren't low. I also finished at 1.008 (had better efficiency so started at 1.052, so similar attenuation). I believe the 90 min mash also aids with the lower finish

Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #635
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys. I had entered 1.015 into Brewsmith for some reason when I copied over this recipe. Reelale you're right about the alcohol refractometer thing. The morebeer excel spreadsheet calculator uses some formula to compensate for that. I am without a hydrometer ever since SWMBO set a pot on it while it was drying on the counter.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #636
Shamrock28
Recipes 

Been sitting in the primary for three weeks. Got my kegging system in the mail today. Ready to keg this beauty. Biermuncher, what was your kegging method on this beer. Thought id ask the creater. What PSI did you force carb it at?How long?Shake it at any point?Serving PSI?

Old 06-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #637
hollywoodbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Making this one today!

6.5lbs two-row
1.75lbs corn
.75 rice

.5oz willamette, .5oz crystal

On Deck: Wee Heavy, Special Bitter
Fermenting: Maibock
Conditioning: Pilsner 66, Pottsville Common
Drinking: Pilsner, West Coast IPA, Celebration Ale, Dunkel Very Much

Old 06-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #638
hollywoodbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Oops! I had much better efficiency this time around, I hit 1047 OG, is this still going to be a crisp cream ale? Or will it have more body than anticipated?

On Deck: Wee Heavy, Special Bitter
Fermenting: Maibock
Conditioning: Pilsner 66, Pottsville Common
Drinking: Pilsner, West Coast IPA, Celebration Ale, Dunkel Very Much

Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #639
agroff383
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wow I brewed a 5 gallon batch of this for my first brew to be kegged, to be drunk on July 4th. Wow.

It isn't a complex flavorful beer like I usually make. It is just an awesome quaffer. I used Hallertau hops because that's what I had, primary for 10 days at 66F, racked to keg, forced carbed at 30 psi for 4 days at 40F. Bled off gas and served, me and 4 good friends kicked the keg in two hours. 10 gallon batches for this one from now on. What a simple, great recipe that anyone who drinks beer will drink. They don't need to be explained anything, just get a glass and here is some beer.

Thanks BierMuncher!!!

Can I have your business card?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #640
saltydawg
Recipes 

I'm brewing a 10 gallon batch of this today. Made a few changes to suit my tastes, balanced the corn & rice and added a 5% table sugar to dry it out further. Also made a tincture with Key Lime & Everclear and will add that to the secondary or at kegging time. Should be a nice Lager like lime infused ale, maybe like BLL or a Corona with the lime in it.

Thanks, BM!

Quick Reply