Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #521
GunnerMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure on the water to much however I did find a link on ProMashes idea of a water profile for this beer style: http://www.battlegroundbrewers.com/r...Cream_Ale.html

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #522
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

just finished sparging and waiting for the boil to start. i changed it up a bit and used 1 oz williamette and 1 oz saaz . this is my first ag so i am excited. Had some minor set backs so we will see what happened. Overshot my mash temp by 10 degrees. panicked and added cold water then temp was too low so i had to turn the burner back on. Also forgot to calculate in loss of water due to grain absorbing.

Worst case scenario Ill add in some dme to boost the gravity.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Last edited by wcarter1227; 03-02-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #523
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
just finished sparging and waiting for the boil to start. i changed it up a bit and used 1 oz williamette and 1 oz saaz . this is my first ag so i am excited. Had some minor set backs so we will see what happened. Overshot my mash temp by 10 degrees. panicked and added cold water then temp was too low so i had to turn the burner back on. Also forgot to calculate in loss of water due to grain absorbing.

Worst case scenario Ill add in some dme to boost the gravity.
Always give your mash some time for the temp to equalize out, 5-10 minutes will make a big difference, unless, that is, you heated your strike water in the mash tun. Stirring with the lid off also drops temps. If I'm still high on the temp I will stir more and add a handful of ice cubes at a time while stirring if needed. For me, 5-6 cubes in the mash, stirred in well, will make about 2˚ difference.

Last edited by bendavanza; 03-02-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #524
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
Always give your mash some time for the temp to equalize out, 5-10 minutes will make a big difference, unless, that is, you heated your strike water in the mash tun. Stirring with the lid off also drops temps. If I'm still high on the temp I will stir more and add a handful of ice cubes at a time while stirring if needed. For me, 5-6 cubes in the mash, stirred in well, will make about 2˚ difference.

thanks, i think i just rushed through everything and then freaked out. ive done a huge amount of extract batches, a partial mash and decided to make the jump. im using deathbrewers stovetop ag style.

Cant wait to see what this turns out to be like.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #525
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah my first AG was more stressful than work even though everything went right. Slow down RDWHAHB I just brewed this beer and Murphys Law was in full effect however I know it is very hard to screw up a beer so I am not worried.

Secondary:
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #526
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

6 hours later boil is done, chilled to 60 pitched notty at sealed the fermenter up. I guess i freaked out earlier cause I was ok on post boil volume, only missed 5 gallons by half of a gallon. Not bad on my first try, My og was slightly higher than the op of 1.040, mine came out to 1.050. Drinking a stout to celebrate a job well done.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #527
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No worries I did just as bad, my Pre Boil gravity was 1.040 with about a gallon to much wort. I screwed up big time somewhere :P Luckily I didn't boil off to much so I get more beer.

Secondary:

Quote:

Life is good...

Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #528
iamatuna
Recipes 

Default Lagering this?

I know this has probly been asked already but well their are tons and tons of posts on this recipe

but has anyone experimented with different yeast for this one?

i was thinking of splitting it into 5 1 gallons and trying out a lager, Irish yeast, hefenweizen (sp?) and nottingham plus possibly trying a lambic

other than the lambic anyone tried any of these for this?

As well has anyone ever tried to boil this way down and add more sugar to make a really strong beer out of this? i picked up a 25abv tolerant yeast strain and i wanna try it

Old 03-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #529
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

lager and irish would both turn out fine, souring a cream ale would be...odd to say the least

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 03-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #530
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I agree with philrose. As for your 25 abv yeast I would probably try to use it in something a bit larger, something like an Imperial Stout. I don't think this beer would be very good for high ABV as it is too light and the alcohol would come out way too much.

I have made this beer and IMHO I don't think it is anything special; just a beer for your run of the mill folk to drink, don't go trying to make a Rogue from a Miller.

Secondary:

Quote:

Life is good...

Quick Reply