Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 AM   #201
wedward
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, since I had a small post boil volume, it seems the beer is pretty strong! Tasted GREAT to me and everyone, along with the Centennial Blonde brewed the same night.

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #202
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dloucks View Post

My shriner buddies absolutely HATED this beer. They were critical of every aspect of it. They all drink Miller Lite exclusively, so I consider this the ultimate compliment coming from them!
Some people can't even give another beer a chance. The funny thing about this is they probably couldn't identify Miller Light in a blind taste test.

Get these beers together; Miller Light, Bud Light, Coors Light, Busch Light, Natural Light, Michelob Light.

Pour these into plastic cups numbered 1-6. Add number 7 (like 3-crop)

Let them drink two beers before doing the test, but the beer should not be their favorite. Make them pick one or two substitutes.

Then write down on paper 1-7 with the beer types/brands.

Afterward when they figure out how far off they were they might be willing to accept the home brew as a worthy beer.

This will debunk the hardcore ML drinkers that they can only drink ML.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 03-20-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 AM   #203
PintOfBitter
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Finished this beer (first AG!) and learned some lessons: LOTS of rice hulls, I used about a cup's worth, this was not nearly enough and my sparge was troublesome. Also, be sure to have enough sparge water ready!! (newb mistake I guess). I ran more than a gallon low on wort to the kettle, and had to top off with a lot before pitching. Doesn't appear to have mattered much - i just tasted it after 2 wks primary, NICE. I was expecting this to be boring, but it is quite enjoyable and makes me anxious to do some yardwork

Not clear after 2 weeks, though. Time to crash cool and keg? Hopefully this won't need finings to get the advertised crystal clear shine. I forgot irish moss in the confusion. I was trying to get a handle on the new AG procedures.

Based on my sampling, this will be very popular.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #204
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Clear as Clear can be after 16 days.

My original and my final gravity were a bit high. 1.049 and 1.009

I think my friends that drink BMC will drink this. And that was the goal.

Thanks BierMuncher!

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #205
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is a long lasting white krausen normal on this brew. I've had krausen for 8 days now. White, creamy.. lotsa bubbles. I'm sure its fine , just wondering if it was the corn or rice that caused it.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #206
BaldAssCat
Recipes 

My LHBS was a shy on the corn by a pound so I doubled up on the rice. Didn’t use rice hulls, won’t make that mistake again. I’ve got another week before the keg and I’m curious to see how it comes out.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #207
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had the same issues with only 1cup of rice hulls. When I added more it got better, however I think wast really helped was opening the valve slowly and limiting the flow for the first 5min. After that I was able to open her up and it was fine.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 04-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #208
HangLoose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

7lbs 2 row
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lbs rice
Kolsch yeast
Hallertau hops for 20 or so IBUs with light aroma

plus rice hulls and irish moss

When I put this recipe into beersmith with 5.5 lbs of two row the % alcohol is listed as about 4.5, and I was hoping fpr something a little higher - say 5.5

Does anyone think that upping the corn to say 3 lbs would too much? If I up the two row to 7lbs and leave the corn at 2 lbs that puts me right at 5.5, just upping the corn to 3lbs will give me 5% alc which is cool.

I'm looking for a nice crisp light lager like ale that I can enjoy along with my BMC buddies, I wouldn't mind a corn taste (I guess! I have never used corn before so I really don't Know). Maybe 4.5% alc is fine...

Old 04-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #209
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
7lbs 2 row
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lbs rice
Kolsch yeast
Hallertau hops for 20 or so IBUs with light aroma

plus rice hulls and irish moss

When I put this recipe into beersmith with 5.5 lbs of two row the % alcohol is listed as about 4.5, and I was hoping fpr something a little higher - say 5.5

Does anyone think that upping the corn to say 3 lbs would too much? If I up the two row to 7lbs and leave the corn at 2 lbs that puts me right at 5.5, just upping the corn to 3lbs will give me 5% alc which is cool.

I'm looking for a nice crisp light lager like ale that I can enjoy along with my BMC buddies, I wouldn't mind a corn taste (I guess! I have never used corn before so I really don't Know). Maybe 4.5% alc is fine...
I'm just about to bottle mine tomorrow after 2weeks in 2ndry and it tastes VERY corny w/ 2lbs.If I had to re-do it I would probably up the rice & lower the corn.Maybe a little corn sugar or honey to dry it out.Mine finished at 1.008.Keep in mind light beers have around 4.2% alc. Any more might give too much alcohol taste and 5.5 will just be a different beer--not a bad beer but just a different one.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #210
HangLoose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so may be I'll keep to the original-ish recipe of
5.5 lbs 2row
2 lbs flaked corn
but double the rice to 2 lbs
That will yield 5% on the nose (a compromise!). Now will this make it too...

ricy? (ok I'm a noob I guess since I've no experience with anything but grain and a little honey)

A pound of honey would defiantly do the trick though, didn't even think of that. Maybe I'll try that instead.

Quick Reply