Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #1911
ten80
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Made a large 8 gallon batch with a SG of 1.048. Substituted agave nectar for corn sugar for a 3-gallon carboy but used corn sugar for the remaining 5 gal in a separate carboy.

To make things interesting I waited 6 days till fermentation was starting to slow (1.018), then added to 5-gal primary a blended mixture of 4 large, super ripe bananas (no peel) and 22oz crushed pineapple with juice. Also added 1.5 cups of toasted non-swetened coconut flakes. Fermentation has slowed a lot after 3 more days (9 total) and the beer has a subtle pina-colada, tropical taste, with a hint of pineapple acidity to counteract the banana sweetness. Exactly what I was looking for. Will rack to secondary with gelatine to remove the serious haze resulting from the fruit.

3-gal carboy to be kegged in two days for a bachelor party this weekend. Will be a little young, but very drinkable nonetheless.

Cream of three crops seems like a great beer to add fruity flavorings to.

Edit: looking back, I see I'm not the only one to think of "Cream of Pina Colada." Seems I'm not crazy after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhamer View Post
I think I have some. Hoping it's unsweetened though. Trying to decide on tossing it in towards the end of boil or in a secondary with the pineapple.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #1912
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Pretty good stuff! Head retention is a little lacking.( maybe a little carapils next time) but overall...great summer quaffer!!

forumrunner_20130430_152205.png

Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #1913
Dougie63
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did this a couple weeks ago and man the results so far are awsome OG 1.046 after 2 weeks 1.009 and into the secondary clear as gin (almost) and a nice crisp lagerlike flavor cannot wait to bottle next week and pop the first one open 3 weeks later! I ferment all my beers in an igloo cube cooler with water and change out the refreezeable ice bags temp stays in the high 50s. This will be one of my favorite goto beers will do 10 gallon batch next.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #1914
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten80 View Post
Made a large 8 gallon batch with a SG of 1.048. Substituted agave nectar for corn sugar for a 3-gallon carboy but used corn sugar for the remaining 5 gal in a separate carboy.

To make things interesting I waited 6 days till fermentation was starting to slow (1.018), then added to 5-gal primary a blended mixture of 4 large, super ripe bananas (no peel) and 22oz crushed pineapple with juice. Also added 1.5 cups of toasted non-swetened coconut flakes. Fermentation has slowed a lot after 3 more days (9 total) and the beer has a subtle pina-colada, tropical taste, with a hint of pineapple acidity to counteract the banana sweetness. Exactly what I was looking for. Will rack to secondary with gelatine to remove the serious haze resulting from the fruit.

3-gal carboy to be kegged in two days for a bachelor party this weekend. Will be a little young, but very drinkable nonetheless.

Cream of three crops seems like a great beer to add fruity flavorings to.

Edit: looking back, I see I'm not the only one to think of "Cream of Pina Colada." Seems I'm not crazy after all.
hmm, this sounds good and fun for summer!

Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #1915
Johnnyhamer
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have one 16oz can of pineapples. Any suggestion on how many to use? I'll dump the syrup it's in down the drain.

Drinking: Beer

Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #1916
chrislzh
Recipes 

Finally its ready to try after 4 weeks and force carb.

The beer taste a little light and a little sour after taste. Is it correct brew?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #1917
ten80
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhamer View Post
I have one 16oz can of pineapples. Any suggestion on how many to use? I'll dump the syrup it's in down the drain.
I threw ripe bananas and the pineapple into a blender and blended till super smooth. I figure this would improve fermentability of the fruits by increasing surface area. Pineapple is usually in juice rather than syrup. If yours is in juice, then throw it all in! I was careful to sanitize the pineapple can, can opener, and blender to avoid introducing any errant bacteria.

Bubbling has slowed to 2 bubbles/minute after a week on the fruit so I'm going to rack to a secondary, adding some gelatine and pectin enzyme to remove haze and a little yeast nutrient to make sure the beer ferments to a dry finish.

Taste at 12 days (7 with fruit) is pretty good with a subtle tropical flavor (I was expecting more!) and I'd almost drink it now but I think the beer could stand to clarify a little and the yeast still has a little activity left. I'm considering adding a little Kraken spiced rum prior to bottling if the pina colada flavor is still weak.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #1918
chrislzh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislzh View Post

The beer taste a little light and a little sour after taste. Is it correct brew?
Any views on this?

Old 05-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #1919
Johnnyhamer
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Mines not sour at all. Probably the best beer I've made so far.

Drinking: Beer

Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #1920
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislzh View Post

The sourness might be from the beer being a little green. Give it a couple more weeks in the keg and see if the sourness is still there. I've made this recipe before, in 2011, and it turned out fantastic.

Quick Reply