Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #1621
lex990
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brewing today with halletaeur we shall see

Honey... I'm just going out for a like an hour. We are only going to drink one or two and head home... I promise ;).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #1622
StinkyVp
Dictator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
I do not want to hyjack this thread but I am interested in your BIAB thing . I brew small amounts , a couple pounds or so for adding to no boil kits . I just crush them as normal and steep them in a gallon or so of water for 45 minutes and pour through a strainer into bucket . Would this be about the same end as BIAB ?
I guess the basic principal is the same as long as your temperatures are right. I don't get the whole thing about adding an extra pound either. I have actually done that and had to eventually back off because my numbers were a little high (but what's so bad about that?). Since I got a refractometer it's so easy to monitor the mash I get 80% all the time but sometimes have to mash a little longer.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #1623
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Has anyone brewed this beer with White Labs American Ale yeast (WL060)? Curious to know if it gives any lager like characteristics that would satisfy some of BMC drinking friends.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #1624
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

What about brewing with frosted flakes instead of corn flakes..?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #1625
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I'm going to brew this using White Labs San Francisco lager yeast. Then I got to thinking I have 50lbs of pilsen sitting around. What if I used the pilsen instead of 2row? Never done a lager before so I'm wondering what kind of difference it would make

Secondary EMTPY

Kegged Double Chocolate Stout, Probie (Light Lager), Berliner Weisse, Bourbon Barrel Milk Stout

Bottled Skeeter Pee

Coming Soon Flashover (Red Ale), Yuengling Clone

www.backdraughtbrewing.com
Email us at backdraughtbrewing@gmail.com

Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #1626
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

just a note on Minute Rice . the stuff is rather pricey . i went to Aldi and got a 1 LB 12 OZ box for I think $1.65 and 14Oz for .99 . I cooked some up to see how it tasted and it was about the same as the minute rice which I think is $4.53 for 14 OZ .

Word to your mother ...

Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #1627
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyVp View Post
I guess the basic principal is the same as long as your temperatures are right. I don't get the whole thing about adding an extra pound either. I have actually done that and had to eventually back off because my numbers were a little high (but what's so bad about that?). Since I got a refractometer it's so easy to monitor the mash I get 80% all the time but sometimes have to mash a little longer.
I just brewed my version of a cream ale and was going to mash at 148 for 75 minutes . had it just right and decided to add a bit more hot water as it dropped a degree and went up to 154 . After topping off at 6 gallons I got 1.056 and was shooting for 1.053 so pretty close .
I am going to post my recipe to see what others think of it . Next one I am going to try this recipe as it is simple and cheaper and looks good .

Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #1628
Aboo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default My first AG

Well, I brewed this yesterday. It was my very first AG brew session. I made the mistake of waiting till the last minute to cut slots in my manifold... big mistake. 4 dremel blades later, only had two pipes slotted. So I went and bought a stainless steel screen and 20 minutes later, boom, Mash-tun is done.

I made two big mistakes. One - I didn't pre-test my fittings and completely forgot to plumbers tape them, so everything leaked. Had to pull the fittings out of my stock-pot and cooler and tape em up.

Two - I did not pre-check my thermometer accuracy. The thermometer in my kettle was 10 degrees high. Which meant when I started my mash, the temps were 10 degrees to low. I ended up having to add 1.5 gallons of hot(er) water to bring it up to 154 degrees. AFTER it had sat at 144 for an hour. I have no clue how that will affect the outcome at all. But I let it set at 154 for an hour and 20 minutes too.

On the plus side, my mash-tun held temp awesome!

6 lbs - 2 row
2.5 lbs flaked corn
1 lb minute rice
3/4 oz. Willamete and Crystal @ 60.

My boil never did get "roiling", but it boiled, for 90 minutes.

The resulting wort is... nasty looking. Like frothy mud. But I chilled it, OG was 1.050 on the nose. Pitched at 60 degrees and stuck it in my closet.

Here's hoping! I'll post back when I get to drink it

Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #1629
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

not that I am any expert in the matter but I would say a low mash temp will not matter any since you raised it up. ( now we wait for the experts to chime in ) I also mashed my cream ale at 154 but beer smith said to use 148. Willamette and crystal sound tasty. My wort was also that color except when I was siphoning it into fermenter then it was almost clear .
I bet it turns out quite tasty .

Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #1630
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo View Post
Which meant when I started my mash, the temps were 10 degrees to low. I ended up having to add 1.5 gallons of hot(er) water to bring it up to 154 degrees. AFTER it had sat at 144 for an hour. I have no clue how that will affect the outcome at all. But I let it set at 154 for an hour and 20 minutes too.
You may end up with a more fermentable wort, which will leave your beet dryer. Not a bad thing for this recipe, I usually mash this beer at 148-150 which is perfect for me. What I would be more concerned with is your lack of a good boil. I'd say its about time to invest in a good outdoor burner. You can get a turkey fryer for cheap this time of year! A good rolling boil is key for good hot break, good hop utilization, and the reduction of DMS. Just my $0.02

Quick Reply