My first AG
Well, I brewed this yesterday. It was my very first AG brew session. I made the mistake of waiting till the last minute to cut slots in my manifold... big mistake. 4 dremel blades later, only had two pipes slotted. So I went and bought a stainless steel screen and 20 minutes later, boom, Mash-tun is done.
I made two big mistakes. One - I didn't pre-test my fittings and completely forgot to plumbers tape them, so everything leaked. Had to pull the fittings out of my stock-pot and cooler and tape em up.
Two - I did not pre-check my thermometer accuracy. The thermometer in my kettle was 10 degrees high. Which meant when I started my mash, the temps were 10 degrees to low. I ended up having to add 1.5 gallons of hot(er) water to bring it up to 154 degrees. AFTER it had sat at 144 for an hour. I have no clue how that will affect the outcome at all. But I let it set at 154 for an hour and 20 minutes too.
On the plus side, my mash-tun held temp awesome!
6 lbs - 2 row
2.5 lbs flaked corn
1 lb minute rice
3/4 oz. Willamete and Crystal @ 60.
My boil never did get "roiling", but it boiled, for 90 minutes.
The resulting wort is... nasty looking. Like frothy mud. But I chilled it, OG was 1.050 on the nose. Pitched at 60 degrees and stuck it in my closet.
Here's hoping! I'll post back when I get to drink it