Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #1571
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passload View Post
I think you would have a sour mash starting
No if kept above 140f. Just wrap it in a sleeping bag and a bunch of comforters and it shouldn't drop that much at all. I've done 2 overnights now and I can keep it within 5-8 degrees of my target (151 +/-) over 8hrs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #1572
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 684 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Like some of the others, I'm having trouble clarifying mine, too. I brewed this on Oct. 27, with Irish Moss in the boil. Last Saturday (Nov. 17), I moved it into the fridge to cold-crash. Last night, I added gelatin. I checked this morning, and it's still quite cloudy in the carboy.

Does this take several days to clear up? My other beers have all been crystal-clear by this point, but this is the first beer I've ever made which uses rice and corn. Do these adjuncts result in a longer clarification process?

Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #1573
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Mine has always cleared quickly doing just what you are. Not sure what to suggest. Not sure how much more clearing you can expect at this point

Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #1574
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Like some of the others, I'm having trouble clarifying mine, too. I brewed this on Oct. 27, with Irish Moss in the boil. Last Saturday (Nov. 17), I moved it into the fridge to cold-crash. Last night, I added gelatin. I checked this morning, and it's still quite cloudy in the carboy.

Does this take several days to clear up? My other beers have all been crystal-clear by this point, but this is the first beer I've ever made which uses rice and corn. Do these adjuncts result in a longer clarification process?
What kind of yeast are you using? Do you use a starter?

I did notice that the first couple batches I made using dry yeast with no starter the beer cleared quickly. With washed yeast and a starter it seems more cloudy.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #1575
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
What kind of yeast are you using? Do you use a starter?
I brewed it with Wyeast 2112, "California Lager" (but at ale temperatures). Yes, I made a 2L starter.

Come to think of it, this is the first beer to come to kegging stage which was brewed with a starter. I've done several starters for other batches, but they're all still fermenting. Is liquid yeast more susceptible to producing cloudy beers?

Maybe I'm just being impatient. I only put the gelatin in last night, it barely had 8 hours to work before I checked it this morning. I'll check it again tonight.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #1576
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
I brewed it with Wyeast 2112, "California Lager" (but at ale temperatures). Yes, I made a 2L starter.

Come to think of it, this is the first beer to come to kegging stage which was brewed with a starter. I've done several starters for other batches, but they're all still fermenting. Is liquid yeast more susceptible to producing cloudy beers?

Maybe I'm just being impatient. I only put the gelatin in last night, it barely had 8 hours to work before I checked it this morning. I'll check it again tonight.

Maybe it's coincidence but every beer I've made with a starter has been harder to clear than those I just pitched in dry yeast directly to the carboy. Maybe I'm overpitching? Not sure. The beer tastes great but just doesn't clear until it's been bottled in in the fridge for several weeks.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #1577
jajao44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed this last night with BIAB. Just got a new burner so I had some trouble hitting temp right but stayed around 150 for the most part. Got 1.052 before I pitched. Sitting in swamp cooler this morning bubbling good.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #1578
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Maybe I'm just being impatient. I only put the gelatin in [Monday] night, it barely had 8 hours to work before I checked it this morning. I'll check it again tonight.
UPDATE: Nope, still pretty cloudy Wednesday morning. I was hoping to keg this batch Thursday night, now I'm thinking I might need to give it at least a week to clear a little more.

Seriously, has anyone else encountered this with this recipe?

Old 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #1579
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat

UPDATE: Nope, still pretty cloudy Wednesday morning. I was hoping to keg this batch Thursday night, now I'm thinking I might need to give it at least a week to clear a little more.

Seriously, has anyone else encountered this with this recipe?
When I made it I do not remember it taking a while to clear. Did you try cold crashing (just reread that you did)? If not, I would just keg it and allow it to cold crash in the keg. I bet it will be sparkling clear in a week, maybe two.
I made this, yoopers yellow fizzy beer, and another beer similar to this all at the same time. I used washed yeast for one, dry yeast for another, and liquid yeast on another and they all seemed to clear about the same. Obviously, the longer I let them keg condition, the clearer they were. After a few weeks in the keg, they were all crystal clear and tasted much better.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #1580
amh61
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm planning on brewing this soon (as my first AG brew) and plan on using US-05 for yeast. What is a good temp to ferment at with this brew? I tried searching in the thread, but had no success.

Bucket #1: Zombie Dust Clone
Bucket #2: Empty
Bottled: Midwest Furious IPA Clone; American Amber Ale; Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale
Planning: Simcoe IPA
Killed: Citrillo Pale Ale; Irish Red

Quick Reply