Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #1521
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57
Any thoughts on adding some Falconer's Flight instead of Crystal? How do you think it would come out? I would keep it around the same IBUs.
It's a single bittering addition to around 14 IBU. You could use almost any hop with a minimal flavor impact. I'm not familiar with FF but I'm guessing it's not one like CTZ that will carry some flavor even at 60 min (although at 14 IBU there would be so little of it you could probably use that one too).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #1522
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
It's a single bittering addition to around 14 IBU. You could use almost any hop with a minimal flavor impact. I'm not familiar with FF but I'm guessing it's not one like CTZ that will carry some flavor even at 60 min (although at 14 IBU there would be so little of it you could probably use that one too).
Oh yah, I forgot they are both 60 minute additions. I was thinking of doing a 5-10 minute addition for it... but eh I think that would change too much and add more hop aroma/flavor than might be desireable...

Old 10-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #1523
Scubajay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not much of a lite beer drinker but I brewed this for friends that are. I brewed a 5 gal batch with 5.5 lbs pale 2 row 2.5 lbs flaked corn 1 lb flaked rice and .5 lb rice hulls. I used Safal 05 yest. I ended up with a pre boil gravity of 1.038 and a final gravity of 1.005. I left it in primary for 1 week and secoundary for 1 week kegged it on friday and tasted on sunday.
the problem is when I tasted the beer this morning it tasted really watery and the color was no where close to what I see on this thread. What could have gone wrong. I know it is a lite beer but on this thread I see a lot of people saying how much flaver it should have. Any imput would be helpfull.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #1524
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubajay View Post
I'm not much of a lite beer drinker but I brewed this for friends that are. I brewed a 5 gal batch with 5.5 lbs pale 2 row 2.5 lbs flaked corn 1 lb flaked rice and .5 lb rice hulls. I used Safal 05 yest. I ended up with a pre boil gravity of 1.038 and a final gravity of 1.005. I left it in primary for 1 week and secoundary for 1 week kegged it on friday and tasted on sunday.
the problem is when I tasted the beer this morning it tasted really watery and the color was no where close to what I see on this thread. What could have gone wrong. I know it is a lite beer but on this thread I see a lot of people saying how much flaver it should have. Any imput would be helpfull.
When I make this recipe I let it stay in the primary for 2-3 weeks and I don't use a secondary. I also up the grain bill slightly to reach about 4% ABV. The first batch I kegged tasted a bit thin of the first 1-2 weeks while it was on the gas. I added a few oz of maltodextrine that I boiled in 1 cup of water to give it a bit more body. This "thin taste" is not the fault of the initial recipe but was most likely due to my brewing methods the first few times I made this.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #1525
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 669 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I brewed this today, to turn into a Maple Cream Ale for my sister-in-law. I think I'm underestimating my boil-off rate. I had 6.5 gallons at the start of the boil, and had maybe 4.5 gallons that made it into the fermenter. As a result, I overshot my O.G. and hit 1.052. I can't wait to taste it!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #1526
Scubajay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
When I make this recipe I let it stay in the primary for 2-3 weeks and I don't use a secondary. I also up the grain bill slightly to reach about 4% ABV. The first batch I kegged tasted a bit thin of the first 1-2 weeks while it was on the gas. I added a few oz of maltodextrine that I boiled in 1 cup of water to give it a bit more body. This "thin taste" is not the fault of the initial recipe but was most likely due to my brewing methods the first few times I made this.
thanks for the heads up ill try that in another week or two if it needs a bump.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #1527
Nemleu
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubajay View Post
I’ve brewed this 3 times and have had success with this recipe. It doesn’t vary much from BierMuncher’s, and it’s a house favorite. I bottle and it’s hard to keep on the shelf so this is a recipe that’s in my regular rotation. My ABV comes in at 6%, but it's light, flavorful, and appeals to everyone.

Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

3 weeks in Primary
1 week in Secondary
3 weeks to condition (Gets better with age)

Ingredients:
------------
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 90.0 mins)
4.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2 lbs Corn, Flaked
14.1 oz Rice, Flaked
8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose)
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Old 10-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #1528
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've brewed two cream ales and both have had terrible head retention - as in completely gone within 30 seconds. The first was Jamil's recipe that calls for rice and sugar, the other used 10% rice, 10% corn and no sugar.

I'm going to brew Cream of Three Crops next but I'm wondering if I should add 0.5 lbs of flaked or malted wheat (5-gal batch) to help with the head retention.

Lately I haven't had head retention problems but I'm still not sure if this is typical/normal for the style or if there is something about my process that I need to fix. My previous cream ales had 77% and 81% efficiency, 50% RO water, plenty of 1056 yeast and temp controlled ferments at 67. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #1529
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140
I've brewed two cream ales and both have had terrible head retention - as in completely gone within 30 seconds. The first was Jamil's recipe that calls for rice and sugar, the other used 10% rice, 10% corn and no sugar.

I'm going to brew Cream of Three Crops next but I'm wondering if I should add 0.5 lbs of flaked or malted wheat (5-gal batch) to help with the head retention.

Lately I haven't had head retention problems but I'm still not sure if this is typical/normal for the style or if there is something about my process that I need to fix. My previous cream ales had 77% and 81% efficiency, 50% RO water, plenty of 1056 yeast and temp controlled ferments at 67. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.
It's typical of the style. It's even in the BJCP guide lines.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #1530
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

^ Agreed. And wheat would contribute a mouthfeel that's not really appropriate for the style.

And even ignoring stuffy guidelines that one may or may not care about, in my opinion it just wouldn't be very good. The crispness is really what's great about a beer like this, and wheat ruins that.

Quick Reply