Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #1491
austintxeric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just wanted to add another picture of this very crisp and refreshing beer! This was my first attempt at BIAB and it worked great. This is a picture of the batch I brewed only 17 days ago...

Old 10-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #1492
RVB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Thanks for the recipe. I made this and it is as advertised. I'll try to keep some of this on hand for 'them'.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #1493
jorgemog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll be brewing 2 5gal batches this weekend. A good friend of mine is getting married and she wanted to buy some kegged beer. I'll give this and a pale ale as a wedding gift.

I'll keep you updated!!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #1494
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

So I am brewing my second batch of this stuff. going to brew 10 gallons and split the batches between two 5 gallon fermenters. half on Wyeast cream ale blend and half on US 05 to compare the differences. The first batch I made was with US 05 and I really like the result, but want to see if I can get it even cleaner.

This is going to be for my brother in laws birthday on November third that leaves me 3 weeks from brew date to have this ready, do you think that's enough time?

Any tips on how to get this nice in clear and clean and ready to go by then? My plan was 10-14 days primary , cold crash with gelatin for 3 - 5 days, then keg and hold at 40 degrees in till serving... tips appreciated

Old 10-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #1495
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Just tasted my third batch after 2 weeks in the keg. Spectacular. Clean and crisp. A delightful experience without any fireworks. Thanks BierMuncher!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #1496
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin View Post
So I am brewing my second batch of this stuff. going to brew 10 gallons and split the batches between two 5 gallon fermenters. half on Wyeast cream ale blend and half on US 05 to compare the differences. The first batch I made was with US 05 and I really like the result, but want to see if I can get it even cleaner.

This is going to be for my brother in laws birthday on November third that leaves me 3 weeks from brew date to have this ready, do you think that's enough time?

Any tips on how to get this nice in clear and clean and ready to go by then? My plan was 10-14 days primary , cold crash with gelatin for 3 - 5 days, then keg and hold at 40 degrees in till serving... tips appreciated
I like the taste of this recipe made with both US-05 and Cream Ale blends but the cream ale yeast usually takes longer to finish and then to drop out of suspension. Thus, the us-05 might be batch to try to have completely finished in the short time you have to work with. Have you ever tried transferring the beer to the keg, cold crash for 24 hours and then add the gelatin while the gas is on for the keg? I do this method and it work just fine if I am trying to get something ready sooner.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #1497
OCBrewin

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967

I like the taste of this recipe made with both US-05 and Cream Ale blends but the cream ale yeast usually takes longer to finish and then to drop out of suspension. Thus, the us-05 might be batch to try to have completely finished in the short time you have to work with. Have you ever tried transferring the beer to the keg, cold crash for 24 hours and then add the gelatin while the gas is on for the keg? I do this method and it work just fine if I am trying to get something ready sooner.
You have a good point. I'll take the US 05 to the bday and save the cream ale yeast batch for myself....

On another note, Im planning on using a small amount of clean, but high alpha Magnum for a single bittering addition. Since the hops aren't really meant to shine in this one, I'm thinking this will be ok. I'm doing .6 oz of 14.7% Magnum at 60min for about 15 IBUs. Does this pose any problems? Brewing tomorrow so advice appreciated!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #1498
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Anyone throw some wlp530 in here... I have an extra I was thinking of just for the fun of it to see how it comes out.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #1499
grasshopperfirestarter
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Brewed this 28 days ago. It's been on gas 7 days. I like it more and more with each glass. My lady just took a sip and said it was good. Normally she wouldn't like a beer like this so that's exciting. I did dry hop in keg with 1/4 once of Cascade leaves using a ss herb ball but I'm not sure that little bit is coming off. Very refreshing on this hot day in southern California!

"I'd Tap That!"
HaPpY yEaSt HaPpY fEaSt

=BEARDEN BREWERY=

Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #1500
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Just wanted to add my experience using Nottingham Ale yeast.

I made 3 batches of this before using US-05 and always had a fruity (green apple) taste for the first 2 weeks in the bottle, then it would crisp up with more aging.

With the Nottingham the initial taste is much crisper and after 3-4 weeks it is SUPER crisp, very BMC like, more so than it is with US-05. Also the Notty tends to flocculate a bit better so the beer clears faster especially when cold conditioned for 1-2 weeks before drinking.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Quick Reply