Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #1471
unfairbeef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I don't think that it has been discussed, but I have not ready every single page of this thread, albeit close. So. I made one of my first 'serious' mistakes with this brew. It is worth mentioning that this was my first BIAB batch, as well. So, I did not account for what the grains would soak OR boil-off. Obviously, I was left with a much smaller batch of beer than anticipated.

Here is the my real point/query:

Would you water it down (read: dilute it) until it reached the intended FG and consistency or would you try and serve it as some sort of freak "imperial" (lol) merikan yellow beer? Keep in mind I am serving to a bunch of barely adventurous (not that I'm knocking it) beer drinkers. They are BMC, all the way.

Help.

I need you, Liam Neeson of brewing.

Soon: Pumpkin Ale, Milk Stout and Dry Extra Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #1472
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfairbeef View Post
I don't think that it has been discussed, but I have not ready every single page of this thread, albeit close. So. I made one of my first 'serious' mistakes with this brew. It is worth mentioning that this was my first BIAB batch, as well. So, I did not account for what the grains would soak OR boil-off. Obviously, I was left with a much smaller batch of beer than anticipated.

Here is the my real point/query:

Would you water it down (read: dilute it) until it reached the intended FG and consistency or would you try and serve it as some sort of freak "imperial" (lol) merikan yellow beer? Keep in mind I am serving to a bunch of barely adventurous (not that I'm knocking it) beer drinkers. They are BMC, all the way.

Help.

I need you, Liam Neeson of brewing.
How far off? (What was your post-boil specific gravity?)

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 09-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #1473
unfairbeef
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
How far off? (What was your post-boil specific gravity?)
About 3 gallons...pretty damn far off, lol.
Soon: Pumpkin Ale, Milk Stout and Dry Extra Stout

Old 09-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #1474
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brewing this right now for a party we are having at the end of October and reading comprehension is difficult for me. I mashed for 60 instead of 90. Whoops....

Old 09-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #1475
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfan13 View Post
Brewing this right now for a party we are having at the end of October and reading comprehension is difficult for me. I mashed for 60 instead of 90. Whoops....
This won't be a problem. There are home brewers that will set the mash up the night before and let it mash overnight in order to brew the next day. You just want to be carefull that the temp of the mash did not drop too much.

I think your beer will be just fine.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #1476
LonestarHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, I am seven days in and it tastes like rice, is that normal? This is so far outside what I normally brew I have no reference for the flavor of the wort. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #1477
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I don't remember mine tasting like rice, but I didn't try it until I was racking it to a keg. Of the 3 beers that I brewed that were similar to this, I liked this one the best, though my friends liked Yoopers fizzy yellow beer better. Give it time, the off tastes should subside a bit. It could be that there was a lot of stuff still in suspension from the fermentation.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #1478
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarHB View Post
So, I am seven days in and it tastes like rice, is that normal? This is so far outside what I normally brew I have no reference for the flavor of the wort. Thanks in advance.
You still have very green beer! Give it time. I have my 3rd 11 gallon batch of Cream of Three Crops in bottles as you read this! I notice that it has a fruity taste for the first week or 2 after bottling but then becomes much crisper and more "BMC" like after 3-4 weeks. The flavor will also lighten up even further if you condition your bottles in the fridge for at least 7 days before drinking.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #1479
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem

You still have very green beer! Give it time. I have my 3rd 11 gallon batch of Cream of Three Crops in bottles as you read this! I notice that it has a fruity taste for the first week or 2 after bottling but then becomes much crisper and more "BMC" like after 3-4 weeks. The flavor will also lighten up even further if you condition your bottles in the fridge for at least 7 days before drinking.
Exactly what I have noticed as well
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #1480
mtngoat
Recipes 

That is very encouraging! I wasn't very happy after a week in the keg crazy fruity finish...hopefully it will be ready for Sunday's game.

Go Broncos!

Brian

Quick Reply