Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #1201
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Did using pilsen have similar/comparable results to using the pale ale malt? (ie, was there a noticable difference?)

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #1202
DavesNotHere
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Has anyone tried making with beer with White labs cream ale yeast? I have been thinking of trying this with BIAB on a my stove top for a 2.5 gallon recipe.
I have made this recipe with both Safeale-05 and WhiteLabs cream ale yeast. The grain bill/recipe was exactly the same, save for the yeast. The WhiteLabs one has a noticeable cleaner taste, even during the fermentation process. However, it does take longer than the 05 dry yeast, so plan accordingly. Also, so far...appears to leave the beer a bit cloudier. I'm hoping this can be cleared up in a secondary with gelatin. Either way, this is such a good, clean, easy drinking beer, it won't really last long enough to make too much of a difference.

I'm probably going to let this run a 3-week primary instead of the 2 week, because it is taking longer. Then cold crash in a 2ndary w/ gelatin for 48 hours before kegging. Making this for a party, and will have to transport the keg, so I want it as clear as possible before transporting and shaking it all up.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #1203
pkincaid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I surfed through some of the pages, because I thought for sure someone had posted about what a decent trade off was for the flaked corn...I didn't come across it though. SO with that said, what's an alternative for flaked corn? Please and thanks guys.

Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:Rootbeer, apple cider, sweet mead
Kegged apple ciderUp Next: 3 honey mead

Old 03-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #1204
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincaid
I surfed through some of the pages, because I thought for sure someone had posted about what a decent trade off was for the flaked corn...I didn't come across it though. SO with that said, what's an alternative for flaked corn? Please and thanks guys.
Some people have used corn starch and others have used corn meal which would need to be cooked. I think on page 71 you will find some info.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #1205
pkincaid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Thank you muchly! We will be brewing this next weekend!

Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:Rootbeer, apple cider, sweet mead
Kegged apple ciderUp Next: 3 honey mead

Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #1206
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Currently boiling away. Slight adjustments for what I have available here. Used cracked corn and rice prepared in a rice cooker and mashed together with Chinese malted Australian grown pilsner malt instead of 2-row. Adjusted for a 90 minute boil due to the pils. Hopping with Hallertau. Still hit my numbers perfect so far. Brewing it up specifically to have a keg on hand for my boss' under developed tastes.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #1207
Woodbury419
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Currently boiling away. Slight adjustments for what I have available here. Used cracked corn and rice prepared in a rice cooker and mashed together with Chinese malted Australian grown pilsner malt instead of 2-row. Adjusted for a 90 minute boil due to the pils. Hopping with Hallertau. Still hit my numbers perfect so far. Brewing it up specifically to have a keg on hand for my boss' under developed tastes.
nice! I never understood why people fear pilsner malt so much from DMS. As long as you boil vigorously w/o the lid you don't need to boil for 90 mins. I use pilsner malt as my base malt of choice for all of my beers. I love it when my brew sessions go according to plan! =D

Old 03-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #1208
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OK, I jinxed myself. With 25 minutes remaining, I took a volume and gravity reading. Clearly ignoring what I know and neglecting to account for temp accurately. I thought I was coming in high, so I added water to correct my gravity. Surprise, surprise that once chilled my OG is low. I'm off by exactly the amount of water I added. Never dilute while boiling. That's easily done later if needed. Second time I've done so. I need to trust my formulations which are proving themselves correct. Oh well. It'll keep my boss from getting drunk as quickly.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #1209
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Can you provide any more detail on how you used the cracked corn and rice in your rice cooker to make a cereal mash?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #1210
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I had scaled the recipe up, consistent with the volumes used by CYBI or Brewing Classic Styles. So I had 2.33 pounds cracked corn and 0.56 pounds plain white rice. I put them together in our rice cooker with about 1.5-2 L of water leaving about 1.5" of space in it. I was afraid it would swell too much and create a mess, but it didn't. It cooked on the normal setting for rice. Once cooked, I mixed it in with 6.7 lbs of pilsner and broke up the balls as much as possible. It stabilized at 122 deg F. I used Beer Alchemy to calculate my strike water temp considering a 122 F grist at roughly 12 pounds when the water was factored in. That actually enabled me to hit my mash temp on the nose. I had forgot to turn the burner on to heat the strike water until the cereal was almost done. So the rice, corn, and pilsner mixture rested in a fairly dry state at 122 for almost 30 minutes. Since it was relatively dry, I doubt it acted as a protein rest, activating the enzymes. But I really don't know for sure. I mashed for 90 minutes to give plenty of time for full conversion.

Quick Reply