Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > Partial - Cinco de Mayo Kolsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 01:49 AM   #11
wolf08gang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Here's a newb question for you. What's DMS?

I'm planning on brewing this one this weekend. Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #12
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Dimethyl sulfide. Its precursor MMP is present in grain but is converted to DMS and driven of at higher temperatures. Most domestic/English 2-row it is killened at a high enough temperature to drive it off, pilsner malt is not. So, most people say to boil for atleast 90 minutes when using pilsner malt.

This is why you should boil with the lid off and cool quickly. You need to cool quickly since DMS can be formed at and temperature above 140F and when boiling it is carried off with the steam. You should leave the lid off during the boil and until you are below 140 since the steam will collect and drop back into the wort.

DMS has a cooked vegetable, corn flavor. I have been told that this flavor is common in Rolling Rock beer.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 AM   #13
wolf08gang
Recipes 

Brewed it today. The only hang up I had is the 90 min boil evaporated my 6 gallons down to 4.5 instead of 5 like I'm used to. I suppose if I had taken a minute to think about it I'd have collected 6.5 gallons.

She's in the primary right now doing her thing. When it comes time to rack over to secondary, I might boil and cool .5 gallon of water and add it to the secondary carboy before racking to make up for the lost water.

What do you think, is that a terrible idea? I haven't decided yet. I may just leave it a alone.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf08gang
Brewed it today. The only hang up I had is the 90 min boil evaporated my 6 gallons down to 4.5 instead of 5 like I'm used to. I suppose if I had taken a minute to think about it I'd have collected 6.5 gallons.

She's in the primary right now doing her thing. When it comes time to rack over to secondary, I might boil and cool .5 gallon of water and add it to the secondary carboy before racking to make up for the lost water.

What do you think, is that a terrible idea? I haven't decided yet. I may just leave it a alone.
Depends on what your OG was. I would probably not unless you could add it before the start of fermentation.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
wolf08gang
Recipes 

I ended up leaving it alone. The AG variation turned out great. This beer likes to age for a month or two. I've been drinking this one off and on over the last month. I have the majority sitting under my stairs in the hopes that I can actually see what it tastes like six months from now.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #16
wolf08gang
Recipes 

Update!

So I was digging around under my stairs, having believed that I drank the last of my beer months ago, when I came upon a Christmas Miracle! Or at least a Memorial Day weekend surprise. Alas! One more sixer of Kolsch. Being that I was wrapping up my first brew day since winter, thinking all the while that it is entirely impossible to RDWHAHB without the crucial HB, I immediately hauled it upstairs, threw one in the freezer and set the timer. Fifteen minutes later... sheer heaven. This beer improves immensely with age. Not that there was anything wrong with it when it was fresh, but now it's the kind that I want to offer to my neighbors just to show off my (well Beerific's) brewing prowess. Trouble is, I only have five left, and my greediness outways my pride at least two to one.

From now on, when I make this beer it needs to go directly under the stairs to be forgotten for six months.

Once again Beerific, thanks for this superb recipe.

Wolfgang

Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #17
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this back in early June as my first all grain attempt in a 5gal rubbermaid MLT. Naturally I was off on some temperatures and thus the OG, but it still turned out to be fantastic. I had to modify the recipe a bit based on the hops I had access to.

8 lbs pilsner malt
1 lb white wheat
1 lb vienna malt

1 oz hersbrucker hallertauer ~4% AA, boil
0.5 oz hersbrucker hallertauer 30 min
0.5 oz saaz ~3% AA 30 min
0.25 oz hersbrucker hallertauer 5 min
0.25 oz saaz 5 min

Mashed at 148F (dropped to 146F) for 60 min
Batch sparge #1 at 159F
Batch sparge #2 at 166F

90 minute boil
OG: 1.036
FG: 1.009
Yeast: WLP029 Kolsch

I gave it 1 week primary, 1 week secondary each at 65F, then lagered at 39F for 7 weeks. Bottled, primed with dextrose. Surprisingly, the bottles were pretty well carbed after just one week, even after the fairly long lagering phase. The beer is GREAT. Unbelievably smooth and crisp. It could use a bit more body, but that's my fault for mashing at too low a temp.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
DonArmando
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

the "white wheat malt" is 100% wheat?

just because - what a shame! - in italy it's quite impossible to find 100% wheat

Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #19
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonArmando View Post
the "white wheat malt" is 100% wheat?

just because - what a shame! - in italy it's quite impossible to find 100% wheat
That is strange, I wouldn't think they would mix the malted grains up.

Well, if it is like 50%/50% mix with pils malt, just use 2lbs and reduce the pils malt by 1lb.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #20
DonArmando
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
That is strange, I wouldn't think they would mix the malted grains up.

Well, if it is like 50%/50% mix with pils malt, just use 2lbs and reduce the pils malt by 1lb.
i'm sorry, i made a big mistake:

you said white weat meaning "grains" but i was accidentally referring to dry extract, which is 55% wheat and 45% barley.
and,to cast more shadow upon all this (sigh!) we don't have at all malted/raw/white wheat for homebrewing....just Dried/liquid extracts mixed as i said with barley.......what do you suggest?

so the recipe would be

2 lbs pils
1 lbs vienna
2 lbs 50-50 wheat/barley?

Last edited by DonArmando; 10-07-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply