Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - BierMunchers “Helles Belles” (Munich Helles, AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #41
Brewbelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

For a 5 gallon batch, should I change the grainbill at all? I would assume that normally, the answer is yes.

So the real question is more as follows: I'd rather have a higher ABV, could I just do a 5 gallon batch with the same grain bill to raise the OG, or would it change the beer too much. Perhaps just cutting it all down a half is best for a 5 gallon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 AM   #42
Brewbelly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
i would like to give this a try but first does anyone know of a comercial version that is similar so i can give it a try and see if i like it. Im in the columbus OH area so it cant be anything to difficult to find.
I just had Sierra Nevada Summerfest the other day. It tasted a lot like a Munich Helles. Give that a whirl.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #43
Sockmonkey
Recipes 

BM, just wanted to give a big thanks for this recipe. I can not stop drinking this stuff and my wife has requested that it be on tap "all the time."

Old 07-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #44
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockmonkey View Post
BM, just wanted to give a big thanks for this recipe. I can not stop drinking this stuff and my wife has requested that it be on tap "all the time."
You've just reminded me that I am running low on this brew. Time to get crushing I guess.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #45
Cabbie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just giving a shout-out to BierMuncher for the recipe! Still going strong since 2007 it seems! I also see a Helles Belles recipe in the Beer Smith sample recipes which is slightly differend (basically just Hallertauer instead of Tettnang). Looks like originally from 2005. Is this yours too Bier?

Anyway, brewed this one last night and Im excited! LHBS only had WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt Yeast, so I will let you guys know how it comes out! OG 1.041 which will be a lighter beer for my taste, but its summer right?!

Will report back in 6 weeks!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #46
Lefe21
Recipes 

Brewing this up tomorrow. Unfortunately I only have dry yeast at my disposal, and no means of lagering. I'll be pitching two packs of Notty and keep temps at 60F.

"Homebrew will get you through times with little money better than money will get you through times with no homebrew"
- Charlie Papazian

Old 09-07-2010, 04:51 AM   #47
TRainH2o
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I just brewed up an AG 5 gallon batch today. After the boil I just had 5 gallons. I took a gravity reading and it came up 1.056. I'm new to AG so I haven't quite gotten my process dialed in yet.

I went ahead and pitched my yeast. Should I add some water to it in the morning? If so, how much? Or, just leave it and have a slightly stronger Helles?

Arrogant Bastard Clone
Imperial Red Ale
Blonde Ale

Fermenting
Munich Helles
German Pilsner
Mango Wine
Peach Wine

Bottled
Mango Wine
Westy 12 Clone

Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #48
Cabbie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRainH2o View Post
I just brewed up an AG 5 gallon batch today. After the boil I just had 5 gallons. I took a gravity reading and it came up 1.056. I'm new to AG so I haven't quite gotten my process dialed in yet.

I went ahead and pitched my yeast. Should I add some water to it in the morning? If so, how much? Or, just leave it and have a slightly stronger Helles?

Wsup Train, personally I would leave as is and just have a stronger beer. Im sure it will be good. If you see mine above, it came out at 1.041 and was a real nice summer beer, but I kinda wanted it a little stronger. I have added water before to beers (when i first starting brewing and batches came out short), although I would do so before you pitch your yeast. Also, I dont like adding water, becasue I think it takes flavor away. So relax, and have a strong homebrew!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #49
Cabbie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbie View Post
Just giving a shout-out to BierMuncher for the recipe! Still going strong since 2007 it seems! I also see a Helles Belles recipe in the Beer Smith sample recipes which is slightly differend (basically just Hallertauer instead of Tettnang). Looks like originally from 2005. Is this yours too Bier?

Anyway, brewed this one last night and Im excited! LHBS only had WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt Yeast, so I will let you guys know how it comes out! OG 1.041 which will be a lighter beer for my taste, but its summer right?!

Will report back in 6 weeks!

As a follow up, the Helles was a HUGE hit with my friends this summer. Everyone loved it! Many were surprised that it an ale could come out this clean and lite very much like a pilsner or lager. I also used the Dusseldorf Alt yeast (noted above) and was very tasty. Gave it a hint of sweetness, but was very clean and no aftertaste.

GREAT recipe BierMuncher! This one will definitely be added to my annual brewing list! Thanks again

Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #50
TRainH2o
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yes, I may just leave it as is. At 1.056, I'll have about a 5% ABV if it finishes at 1.014. Looking at the style guidelines, it is still within the ABV range. Not that it means that much to me personally.

Arrogant Bastard Clone
Imperial Red Ale
Blonde Ale

Fermenting
Munich Helles
German Pilsner
Mango Wine
Peach Wine

Bottled
Mango Wine
Westy 12 Clone