Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - BierMunchers “Helles Belles” (Munich Helles, AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #21
drunkatuw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was thinking about brewing this later this week, but I'm out of tettnang. I could stop by the LHBS and pick some up, but I have quite a bit of crystal and liberty on hand. Would either of those as a substitute? I looked at byo's hop reference chart and neither of them were substitutes, but I figured since there was just a 60 min addition, you wouldn't get too much flavor from the hops.

Secondary:
On Deck: Lake Walk Pale Ale, BCB IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #22
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkatuw View Post
I was thinking about brewing this later this week, but I'm out of tettnang. I could stop by the LHBS and pick some up, but I have quite a bit of crystal and liberty on hand. Would either of those as a substitute? I looked at byo's hop reference chart and neither of them were substitutes, but I figured since there was just a 60 min addition, you wouldn't get too much flavor from the hops.
I'd lean towards the Liberty. Hops don't play much of a role in this style, except to balance the beer. As long as you maintain a 2.5 to 1 (OG to IBU) ratio and keep this puppy malty (sweet), the hops really don't matter.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #23
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

brewed this about a month ago, just got around to bottling it, and can't wait to try the result. in typical tranceamerica fashion, I didn't do the exact recipe, but used nugget hops (don't ask...) and nottingham yeast. Yeah, not exactly the same but I'm a dry yeast kind of guy. excited about the results, with the sorta warm seattle summer coming...

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #24
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

brewed this about a month ago, just got around to bottling it, and can't wait to try the result. in typical tranceamerica fashion, I didn't do the exact recipe, but used nugget hops (don't ask...) and nottingham yeast. Yeah, not exactly the same but I'm a dry yeast kind of guy. excited about the results, with the sorta warm seattle summer coming...

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #25
Hoosierbilly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this about 6 weeks ago, fermented 2-3 weeks and kegged one fermenter, the other fermenter is still sitting....tastes realy great...cant wait to see how it will taste in another couple months...i am definately brewing a 15 gallon batch of this next march or early April to have for the warm months of June, July, and August (along with 15 gallons of my orange wheat that my friends seem to never get enough of...im brewing an oatmeal stout tomorrow to have ready by the colder months....and definately 15 gallons of my irish red and maybe a 5 gal batch of an oktoberfest to try it out, even though its pushing it time-wise for it...

"Because Beer makes you feel how you ought to feel without Beer"

Old 08-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #26
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Man, just pulled my first hydro after < 10 days and it's already fantastic!

I ended up doing a split batch (1/2 Kolsch and 1/2 Notty) and fermented between 58-60F. I raised the temp to 65F after 7 days and raised it again today to 70F to finish things up. I still can't get over how clean WLP029 is. When fermented this low, it really is almost lager like w/o the extra trouble. I remember it being somewhat of a bitch to clear, but that's not a huge concern to me when it tastes this freaking good!

Thanks again for another fantastic recipe BM!

Old 09-13-2009, 02:19 AM   #27
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Just wanted to update now that both batches have had time to "lager".

The Kolsch batch isn't quite as clear and has a little bit of a bready/yeasty aroma, but overall tastes really clean and is quite tasty. It definitely came out a little more malt forward than the Notty batch.

Surprisingly, I think I actually like the Notty better though. It cleared better, has little/no aroma, and came out a little drier/crisper/cleaner tasting than the Kolsch IMO. I was unhappy w/ the last beer I made w/ Notty, but this is probably the best beer I've made to date. Really, really close to the real thing and slightly better IMHO.

I highly suggest giving Notty a try for anyone not wanting to deal w/ liquid yeast...and if you do, definitely keep the temps really low if possible. I kept mine at 58F and it still fermented out almost completely within 72 hours.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #28
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlosCarlies View Post
I highly suggest giving Notty a try for anyone not wanting to deal w/ liquid yeast...and if you do, definitely keep the temps really low if possible. I kept mine at 58F and it still fermented out almost completely within 72 hours.
Rodger that. Can't wait to brew it up this weekend. Should I skip 5 gallons and just brew 10?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #29
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BierMuncher

How critical is the Carapils to this recipe in terms of flavor? I assume it imparts very little and can be ommitted? I'm brewing it this weekend.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #30
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthy View Post
BierMuncher

How critical is the Carapils to this recipe in terms of flavor? I assume it imparts very little and can be ommitted? I'm brewing it this weekend.
Cara imparts an important "malt" characteristic...but if you don't have it you can just mash higher...say 156 for 45-60 minutes and you should get that full-bodied mouthfeel.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply