Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - BierMunchers “Helles Belles” (Munich Helles, AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #101
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have been using WLP029 yeast a lot lately, I just got a little cocky and racked off my Kolsch after a week into a secondary, then Keg, and drinking after 13 days.
So Now....
And now I am learning a lot about Diacetyl and how nasty it smells and tastes.

Today - I have the kegged/carbed beer back into a primary with a big WLP029 starter and hoping this starter will eat the Diacetyl so I dont have to dump 5 gallons of beer that I was really looking forward to drinking.

Lesson learned, dont rush it too much and make sure there is no Diacetyl before you rack it off.

thanks Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #102
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think it best that I use another fermentation vessel for the brew I am doing at present and leave this one for a couple more weeks in the same container.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 AM   #103
Bombeque
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just brewed this today. Added double the carapils by accident. Collected 8.5 gallons of wort and boiled for 90mins, ended up with 5 gallons at 1.049. So I added the half gallon back in water and ended up at 1.043. Pretty close! Mash was right on 154 for 90.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #104
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombeque View Post
Just brewed this today. Added double the carapils by accident. Collected 8.5 gallons of wort and boiled for 90mins, ended up with 5 gallons at 1.049. So I added the half gallon back in water and ended up at 1.043. Pretty close! Mash was right on 154 for 90.
Double the Cara is fine. You'll have rock solid head retention.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #105
billym99
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wanted to post my results with this recipe. First, it's been awhile since I've brewed, between family and a couple of moves and job changes it's been a crazy year. This is the second brew that got me back into home brewing after four good years of brewing my own.

Anyways, I brewed this on 12/13/12 using White Labs 029 (kolsch) yeast. Primary for about 21 days, an average temp of around 62-64. Kegged and stored around 50 degrees on average in my garage for the last month. Carb'd and tapped for about a week now... What a great beer! It's wonderful to look at, clearest beer I have made with a thick white head. A "bready" taste, it's light at first but the malt really gets you after the initial taste. It's an excellent version of a good Munich Helles. I spent a week in Munich last September and drank plenty of Helles during Oktoberfest, this reminds me of my trip.

I have another 5 gallons kegged for the last month of this same recipe, although I used a lager yeast for this one, WLP838 Southern German Lager. Primary around 50 degrees for 30 days. I'm very excited to try it after the success with this version.

Cheers!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #106
LateraLex
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by billym99 View Post
It's wonderful to look at, clearest beer I have made with a thick white head.
Looks really good. Mine was like that for a few weeks in keg, then I added Gelatin Finings about a week ago. Since then it has been super clear, which matches the crisp taste. Great brew, glad I did 10 gallons as well.

forumrunner_20130213_170537.jpg
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #107
billym99
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateraLex View Post
Looks really good. Mine was like that for a few weeks in keg, then I added Gelatin Finings about a week ago. Since then it has been super clear, which matches the crisp taste. Great brew, glad I did 10 gallons as well.

Attachment 100959
That's a good looking beer, incredibly clear. I have gelatin finings in the fridge but failed to put them in this batch.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #108
Bombeque
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just kegged and tapped this. Waited overnight to let the beer settle, but its still pretty cloudy. Can see particles floating around in there. It tastes great though. Has somewhat of a lemony flavor. Is this from the hopps? I fermented for 2 weeks and then lagered for a week or so.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #109
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Munich Helles is a very light German beer that was created in Munich in 1895 at the Spaten brewery by Gabriel Sedlmayr to compete with Pilsner-style beers. It is a malt-accentuated beer that is not overly sweet, but rather focuses on malt flavor with underlying hop bitterness in a supporting role.

This is the kind of beer I expect to taste when I see those pictures of huge mugs at a German beerfest. Very pilsner like in color, but the head retention suits this malty beverage just perfect. I added some Vienna to really bring out the malt profile.

A very simple recipe, this beer is also easy on the hops budget. For a 5.5 gallon batch, just divide everything in half.

Attachment 3780

Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 13.16 gal
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM
Attachment 3779
Estimated IBU: 16.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Attachment 3778

Ingredients:
------------

15.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

3.00 oz Tettnang [3.20%] (60 min)

1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

Irish Moss, 15 minutes

Mash at 154 for 90 minutes.

I've brewed this twice in the last 5 weeks and it's a real favorite. At only 3.8%, you can imagine filling a few large mugs and quaffing this on a cold afternoon.

Here's mine, second from the left...Clearer than the picture shows...

Attachment 3781

I did something similar, only I used 5 pounds of Pils and 3 pounds each of Munich and Vienna. For hops I used all of the "Noble" hops and made a medley of all 4 and it turned out awesome:

I want to enter this into NHC and had planned on entering it in the Kolsch category, but should it be in the 1D Munich Helles category?

Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #110
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer

I did something similar, only I used 5 pounds of Pils and 3 pounds each of Munich and Vienna. For hops I used all of the "Noble" hops and made a medley of all 4 and it turned out awesome:

I want to enter this into NHC and had planned on entering it in the Kolsch category, but should it be in the 1D Munich Helles category?
I wondered the same. Could you enter it in 1D if you didn't you a lager yeast? It's closer to a Helles than a Kolsch but you are using a Kolsch yeast.

Quick Reply