Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #81
BlackNotch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just took a sip of the Kolsch...WOW, very good! This has been kegged for 9 days, and it tastes mighty fine, very similar to Victory's Prima Pils. I might like this one better than your pale ale...

-Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #82
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfd146 View Post
Just took a sip of the Kolsch...WOW, very good! This has been kegged for 9 days, and it tastes mighty fine, very similar to Victory's Prima Pils. I might like this one better than your pale ale...
Yes, it comes across like a Bitburger Pils. Victory Prima is the BEST domestic German style pils I have ever tasted. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #83
BlackNotch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Prima is one of my faves as well. This fermented in an Ale Pale that was placed in an Igloo "cube" cooler filled with water and 1-2 frozen water bottles. I tried to change the bottles twice a day. The water temp was around 60 degrees.

-Mike

Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 AM   #84
android
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i racked mine to secondary today and the beer was incredibly foggy coming out out of the primary. has anyone else experienced this? hopefully it will clear up a lot in the secondary. i suppose i should have tried gelatin, but oh well.

smelled damn good and tasted OK for flat and warm. this was my first all grain and the OG was only 1.040 and the FG was about 1.010, not quite the ABV i wanted, but it should be a good session beer.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #85
Bender

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So what happens if I don't cold crash this and use Isenglass the clear it in secondary? I'm guessing the worst thing is the beer might be cloudier than it would be otherwise.

Retired at the Jersey Shore.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #86
android
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i finally got around to kegging mine after an extended period in the secondary in my basement. it's been 'crash cooling' in the keg for 2 days and i pumped 30 psi on it for both days, not she's at 10 psi and the first glass is a little undercarbed but tasting very nice!

questions: do you normally get a few cloudy pints at first?

also, what pressure do you serve this at?

thanks for the recipe!

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #87
Pangea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Anyone not use finings or clarifiers in Edwort's Kolsch? I forgot to add my irish moss during the boil. I'm curious if it will clear up like it should after cold conditioning or will I be keeping it cold for extended periods prior to kegging for nothing.

Should be great either way - I hit all the numbers, mashed @ exactly 151 to 150 for 60 minutes, OG 1.052, just over 5.5 gal wort in the fermenter. I'm using the WYeast 2565 strain.

Thanks!

Pangea

Old 05-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #88
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Heh, I did that too...totally forgot to use the irish moss in the boil. I ended up adding some gelatin finings to clear it up about a week ago. It's almost totally clear now, but I'm still going to wait for a couple more weeks before I attack that keg in earnest.

On a kind of related note, I've found that Nottingham yeast produces a beer that tastes almost exactly like Lost Coast's Great White beer. It clears quickly, and is a great "grain to glass" in about 2 weeks. Definitely not a "kolsch" without the proper yeast, but a very tasty beer...maybe qualifies as a blonde ale?

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #89
Pangea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
Heh, I did that too...totally forgot to use the irish moss in the boil. I ended up adding some gelatin finings to clear it up about a week ago. It's almost totally clear now, but I'm still going to wait for a couple more weeks before I attack that keg in earnest.

On a kind of related note, I've found that Nottingham yeast produces a beer that tastes almost exactly like Lost Coast's Great White beer. It clears quickly, and is a great "grain to glass" in about 2 weeks. Definitely not a "kolsch" without the proper yeast, but a very tasty beer...maybe qualifies as a blonde ale?

This is the second time in a row I forgot to add the moss. But last time it was a weizen so it doesn't really make a big impact. I'd like this one to come out fairly clear, with maybe just a bit of chill haze.

I was also thinking about a new strain for this recipe, wondering about using US-05. Think I may try it next time istead of the kolsch to see what happens - the goal being higher flocculation and clarity without finings, plus perhaps a suitable beverage that is ready to be quaffed sooner.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:00 AM   #90
CharlosCarlies

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Just kegged this after ~3 weeks in primary and a couple days @ 38F. It came out crystal clear w/ just a little irish moss and no finings.

The sample I tasted was fantastic even uncarbed! W/ that being said, I just realized a few minutes ago that I had actually mashed at the wrong temp (154F) w/o even knowing it. It finished out at 1.011-1.012ish, which actually ended up making it taste a little sweeter like a "normal" kolsch which is perfectly fine by me! Next time I'll try it a little drier, but this looks like it's going to become one of my favorite beers yet. Thanks for the recipe Ed!

Quick Reply