Argentine Gold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP029 - German Ale/Koelsch
Yeast Starter
1 L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
23.7 (Tinseth)
Color
3-5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 d @ 63-70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 d @ 70
Additional Fermentation
n/a
4.5# U.S. 2-row pale malt
2.0# Belgian Pilsner
0.75# Flaked rye
0.5# CaraPils
1 oz. Cascades (Argentine) 3.2% AA 75 mins (FWH)
1 oz. Cascades (Argentine) 20 mins
0.5 oz Cascades (Argentine) 10 mins
0.5 oz Cascades (Argentine) 5 mins
0.5 oz Cascades (Argentine) DRY

Mash: Protein rest - 20 mins @ 129; Sacc rest - approx 45 mins @ 152 (or until converted); Mash out @ 170.

Water: Soft. I added about a quarter teaspoon or so of Burton salts per 5 gallons of RO water.

This was inspired by BierMuncher's Sterling Gold, in that a wanted a good, crisp Summer drinker with spicy sort of hop character. Since I had the Argentine Cascades in the freezer, I took them for a spin.

Aroma is clean, a little sweet, with mild spicy, floral, and citrus notes from the hops. There is a mild Pilsner malt note, and just a touch more spiciness from the rye (which I might bump to 1.5#).

Appearance is light golden (around 4 SRM, as best as I can tell) with a meringue-like, white head that lasts and provides light lacing. It started off quite hazy at first, but it has been clearing up rapidly.

Flavor follows aroma: a little sweet with very mild hop flavor. It dries out quickly in the mouth and finishes mildly bitter.

Medium-light body gets a little support from the rye, and that keeps the beer from feeling watery. I kept the carbonation down on this one a little, as I do not like beers that get too fluffy or lose flavor and aroma to carbonation bite. There is no astringecy, diacetyl, or any other unexpected sensations.

I wanted a nice, Summer drinker, and I got it. This one also is very popular with the neighbors. So far, I've received comments along the lines of "delicious" and "refreshing" from them and other brewers.

I think it is important to keep this one clean or with very mild fermentation character. Anything more than a little flavor or aroma from the yeast, and you risk covering everything else up. Also, a little bit of DMS would be very pleasant here. I originally boiled for 75 minutes, but that was too much. The shorter boil also will help keep your color on the lighter side, which is nice with this beer.

I also like the Argentine hops very much, as they let me get a mild but complex hop profile without a complex recipe or measuring out quarter ounces. I may tweak this around when I brew it again, but just for the sake of playing. It is good as it is.

Just an update on this. I messed around with the grain bill a bit, and I now use 3.5# of both the pale and Pilsner malts. If I wanted to get back to the original ABV, I imagine I would trim off a quarter pound of both. Don't bump the rye up any more than 0.75#, though, or it's too much.

I also used U.S. Hallertauer for the hops, and they were very good. I still prefer the Argentine Cascades, though.

TL

Latest posts

Back