Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - AK's "Kolsch"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default All-Grain - AK's "Kolsch"

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP029
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 20.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 3.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 64deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): crash cool
Tasting Notes: Light and crisp with enough flavor and body to remind you that its a home brew

I have spent about a year tweaking this recipe, and with the last 3 batches turning out great I decided to finally share This recipe was developed for my wife and BMC drinking friends, and ended up becoming a staple on tap that I enjoy fairly often as well. I was trying to develop something BMC'ish, but still with a little body and flavor. This is a great beer right after mowing the lawn, or just sitting on the porch shooting the breeze on a spring or summer evening when you want something light that you can keep drinking all night long.

kolsch.jpg

Grains:
6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3.00 lb long grain white rice (1.0 SRM)
0.25 lbCaramel/Crystal Malt - 10/20L (20.0 SRM)
0.25 lbWheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)

Hops:
0.50 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (90 min) 11.7 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.40 %] (90 min) 9.0 IBU

Other:
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)

Mash:
Gum rest - Add 12.50 qt of water at room temp 105.0deg 20 min
Protein rest - Heat to 122.0 F over 10 min hold for 30 min
Sacchrafinication -Heat to 150.0 F over 15 min hold for 90 min
Mash Out - Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min

Sparge:
Batch sparge 2 rounds with ~2.35 gallons each at 170deg

Procedure:

I use long grain white rice in this recipe, but I am sure someone who wanted to use instant rice could do that as well. I put the 3lbs in a large pot on the stove, cover with water and bring to a boil. I let the rice simmer for 30 minutes until it is over cooked a slightly mushy.

Meanwhile, I mill the rest of my grains and put my strike water into my mash tun, but don't start heating it up! When the rice is done I have found adding it to the strike water brings the volume to ~110-115deg, which comes about to 105-110deg after you dough in with the grains. When I add the rice to the strike water, I use my hands to break up large clumps until I do not feel any more, then dough in. I direct fire and recirculate the mash with a march pump, and slowly bring it through the mash schedule watching to make sure I don't scorch the bottom or get a stuck mash. When I hit about 148-150 deg, I hold for 90 minutes.

Sparging and boil are pretty standard. I have sparged this with and without rice hulls, and while they help, are not necessary if you have a good false bottom. I use a 90 minute boil because I have found it makes the beer a bit "crisper" and to ensure there is no DMS left, because it will show through in the final product if it is there.

Fermentation:
I use a temperature controlled fermentation cabinet to maintain the temperature between 60 and 65 deg, and give this a couple weeks at that temperature. When fermentation is complete and the yeast have begun to slightly settle, I keg, crash cool to ~40deg, and force carb over a couple more weeks. This clears the beer up a bit more as the yeast drop out. You can drink it soon, but I have found a couple weeks at lower temps really do a lot to clean up the flavor a bit. I have no idea what longer storage would do because I have yet to have a keg last that long

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we do, and I will try to answer any questions that pop up.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Last edited by Dr_Deathweed; 03-27-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Traveler733 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
HI_SALENITY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This one interests me I may try it.

How do you think it would turn out with pilsner malt and no step mash?

Would I be better off step mashing in my keggle and then try to move back to my Lauder turn/cooler to sparge?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
HI_SALENITY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

3.00 lb long grain white rice ? That is a lot of rice!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im looking for a Kolsch extract recipe.
Anyone care to convert this for me?

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde