Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Bock > All-Grain - Traditional Bock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I transferred to a corny keg last night and tasted the sample...no diacetyl so far as I can tell.

Another question:

I assume you are not transferring again after you rack to the keg and naturally carbonate. How much crud do you get when you first start serving this one? Also, do you cut off or bend your dip tube at all? Seems like there's be a lot of sediment on this, at least at first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #12
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I transferred to a corny keg last night and tasted the sample...no diacetyl so far as I can tell.

Another question:

I assume you are not transferring again after you rack to the keg and naturally carbonate. How much crud do you get when you first start serving this one? Also, do you cut off or bend your dip tube at all? Seems like there's be a lot of sediment on this, at least at first.
I do a closed keg-to-keg transfer after it carbonates. I carbonate in pin-locks (I designated my only 2 pin-locks to carbonating lagers) and I did cut the diptubes a little. I serve from ball-locks and genarally don't cut/bend the diptube in those.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #13
hatfieldenator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm about to attempt this recipe tomorrow and I've got a question for you regarding fermentation. This is my first lager so I'm not sure how the process works...I plan on fermenting in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy placed inside a keezer with temperature control. So, I understand that it first needs to ferment at ~45-50. Then, at some point I realize that I need to lager it at colder temperatures for (as you stated) as long as I can stand it. What do I do with it after that? Is it safe to bottle after that period? I plan on bottle conditioning it. Do you let it carbonate before you lager it? I'm just a bit confused on the process. Thanks for your help in advance!

Old 12-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

I serve in kegs so I carbonate it before cold-conditioning (or rather as I'm conditioning).

For bottling; I would ferment it fully, bottle it, then cold-condition. There is more than one way to do it.

Check out Kaiser's Fermenting Lagers. It shows some different ways to do it. I'd try to keep it relatively simple at first.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

making this again on Monday. Lager yeast, WLP #833 started, "cold room" @ 45F.

Secondary IPA, Brown ale
Primary
On Deck ESB, Belgian Dubbel, Evil Twin

Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #16
hatfieldenator
Recipes 

I have this recipe fermenting in my keezer now. Its hopefully going to be ready for lagering in the next couple of days.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #17
hatfieldenator
Recipes 

BTW, for anyone following this thread...I have a couple of questions. I'm basically following the same fermentation schedule as the author above. I left the beer in the primary until the gravity was 1.019 (expected FG 1.017?). I then racked to a corny and I'm allowing it to carbonate naturally now. I don't quite have enough time to leave it in there for a full 30 days as the recipe says (I want to enter it in a contest that's due on 2/25), so I was wondering when it would be okay to go ahead and start the lagering phase? I think its been in the corny for about 8 days now.

Update: I went ahead and checked my gravity tonight and it looks like I'm sitting right around 1.016. Should I go ahead and start lagering it now? Is there any reason I need to let it keep fermenting at 48 deg.? Thanks for your help, this is my first lager!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

If it's at FG then you can start lagering it. You're turning it around a bit quickly for a big lager (but you knew that). Good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
hatfieldenator
Recipes 

Well, the good thing is that I can let it lager up until the day I bottle it and hand deliver it to the drop off location on the last day (2/25). So, that will give it about 6 weeks of lagering time. Hopefully that will give it enough time to become a decent beer? The sample I tasted while checking gravity was already quite nice.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

If everything turns out 'good' then it should already be good at that time, just not at it's peak. It'll be good and ready for NHC.

Quick Reply