Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Bock > All-Grain - Evil Goat of Ainpoekish (5C Doppelbock)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
osagedr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,480
Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default All-Grain - Evil Goat of Ainpoekish (5C Doppelbock)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: W-34/70
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: repitch from slurry
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.25
Original Gravity: 1.085
Final Gravity: 1.024
IBU: 26.0
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 24.2
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 47
Additional Fermentation: 10 weeks @ 32
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 65
Tasting Notes: rich maltiness balanced by moderate bitterness

20 lb 4 oz Weyermann Munich
2 lb Weyermann Pilsner
1 lb Caramunich
8 oz Chocolate

2 oz Hersbrucker (3.5% AA) 90 minutes (FWH)
1 oz Tettnang (4.8% AA) 27 minutes

Hochkurz Double Decoction Mash
Maltose Rest 90 minutes @ 146
Dextrinization Rest 60 minutes @ 160
Mashout 15 minutes @ 170

Half of this batch was used to make an eisbock which was freeze distilled at 19 degrees. I ended up with 24 twelve ounce bottles of doppelbock and 18 of eisbock. The eisbock (named Otto I) is incredibly rich--reminds me of a port. Would be a fantastic dessert beer.

Typo in the thread title: should be "Ainpoeckish."

**Gold Medal, 2012 Cowtown Yeast Wranglers Homebrew Roundup (Calgary, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 MALT Throwdown (Montreal, Quebec)
**Silver Medal, 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Silver Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Vanbrewer Awards (Vancouver, British Columbia)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Wert Contest (Lethbridge, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 ALES Open (Canadian Region NHC qualifier, Regina, Saskatchewan)

__________________

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

osagedr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Loveland
Posts: 289
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default


So, just to be clear, this is a 10-gallon batch that you split?

It sounds pretty delicious. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try some lagering after a few more batches, so I plan to bookmark this one and give it a shot.

__________________
MrSpiffy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
osagedr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,480
Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default


No, it was a 6.25 gallon batch. Both the doppelbock itself and the Eisbock it fathered turned out very nicely. IMO the keys are using the correct proportion of Munich and taking the time/effort to decoct. I can't wait to make 10g of this again this fall! In the meantime I think I'll do a Maibock soon.

__________________

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

osagedr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamden
Posts: 1,047
Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default


for a 6.5 gallon batch, I am calculating 1.099 OG... what is your efficiency?

__________________

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE
NuclearRich is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Loveland
Posts: 289
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default


Man... just saw this thread update... I seriously need a chest freezer.

What was your process for the freeze-distillation? Just pop the finished beer in the carboy in the freezer at 19°F and let it sit? If so, for how long?

__________________
MrSpiffy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
osagedr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,480
Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
for a 6.5 gallon batch, I am calculating 1.099 OG... what is your efficiency?
According to my notes, 65.4%. Unusually low but I have noticed my beers with a lot of Munich have lower efficiency.
__________________

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

osagedr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
osagedr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,480
Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpiffy View Post
Man... just saw this thread update... I seriously need a chest freezer.

What was your process for the freeze-distillation? Just pop the finished beer in the carboy in the freezer at 19°F and let it sit? If so, for how long?
I racked half of my batch into a 2.5 gallon keg and the other half into a sanitized plastic pail with a tight-fitting lid. Purged with CO2 to minimize exposure to air, then into the freezer. I didn't take note of how long it was in there but not more than a few days.
__________________

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

osagedr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Loveland
Posts: 289
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default


Thanks. Man, I can't wait to make this... sounds soooo good!

__________________
MrSpiffy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #9
Tinpanharry
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tinpanharry's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eureka
Posts: 125
Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr
20 lb 4 oz Weyermann Munich
2 lb Weyermann Pilsner
1 lb Caramunich
8 oz Chocolate

2 oz Hersbrucker (3.5% AA) 90 minutes (FWH)
1 oz Tettnang (4.8% AA) 27 minutes

Hochkurz Double Decoction Mash
Maltose Rest 90 minutes @ 146
Dextrinization Rest 60 minutes @ 160
Mashout 15 minutes @ 170

Half of this batch was used to make an eisbock which was freeze distilled at 19 degrees. I ended up with 24 twelve ounce bottles of doppelbock and 18 of eisbock. The eisbock (named Otto I) is incredibly rich--reminds me of a port. Would be a fantastic dessert beer.

Typo in the thread title: should be "Ainpoeckish."

**Gold Medal, 2012 Cowtown Yeast Wranglers Homebrew Roundup (Calgary, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 MALT Throwdown (Montreal, Quebec)
**Silver Medal, 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Silver Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Vanbrewer Awards (Vancouver, British Columbia)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Wert Contest (Lethbridge, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 ALES Open (Canadian Region NHC qualifier, Regina, Saskatchewan)
How did it turn out?
__________________
Tinpanharry is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
raymadigan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western
Posts: 239
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default


I can't find SafLager W-34/70 at any of the LHBS's, is there an alternative that would work just as well?

__________________
raymadigan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partial - prune doppelbock BelgianWannabe Bock 6 11-27-2013 02:47 AM
Partial - Drunk Monk Doppelbock binaryc0de Bock 4 11-27-2013 01:19 AM