Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Bock (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f61/)
-   -   Evil Goat of Ainpoekish (5C Doppelbock) (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f61/evil-goat-ainpoekish-5c-doppelbock-303472/)

osagedr 02-12-2012 02:12 PM

Evil Goat of Ainpoekish (5C Doppelbock)
 
20 lb 4 oz Weyermann Munich
2 lb Weyermann Pilsner
1 lb Caramunich
8 oz Chocolate

2 oz Hersbrucker (3.5% AA) 90 minutes (FWH)
1 oz Tettnang (4.8% AA) 27 minutes

Hochkurz Double Decoction Mash
Maltose Rest 90 minutes @ 146
Dextrinization Rest 60 minutes @ 160
Mashout 15 minutes @ 170

Half of this batch was used to make an eisbock which was freeze distilled at 19 degrees. I ended up with 24 twelve ounce bottles of doppelbock and 18 of eisbock. The eisbock (named Otto I) is incredibly rich--reminds me of a port. Would be a fantastic dessert beer.

Typo in the thread title: should be "Ainpoeckish."

**Gold Medal, 2012 Cowtown Yeast Wranglers Homebrew Roundup (Calgary, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 MALT Throwdown (Montreal, Quebec)
**Silver Medal, 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Silver Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Vanbrewer Awards (Vancouver, British Columbia)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Wert Contest (Lethbridge, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 ALES Open (Canadian Region NHC qualifier, Regina, Saskatchewan)

MrSpiffy 04-13-2012 08:30 PM

So, just to be clear, this is a 10-gallon batch that you split?

It sounds pretty delicious. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try some lagering after a few more batches, so I plan to bookmark this one and give it a shot.

osagedr 04-15-2012 03:32 AM

No, it was a 6.25 gallon batch. Both the doppelbock itself and the Eisbock it fathered turned out very nicely. IMO the keys are using the correct proportion of Munich and taking the time/effort to decoct. I can't wait to make 10g of this again this fall! In the meantime I think I'll do a Maibock soon.

NuclearRich 06-23-2012 03:28 PM

for a 6.5 gallon batch, I am calculating 1.099 OG... what is your efficiency?

MrSpiffy 06-25-2012 03:44 AM

Man... just saw this thread update... I seriously need a chest freezer.

What was your process for the freeze-distillation? Just pop the finished beer in the carboy in the freezer at 19F and let it sit? If so, for how long?

osagedr 06-25-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NuclearRich (Post 4195838)
for a 6.5 gallon batch, I am calculating 1.099 OG... what is your efficiency?

According to my notes, 65.4%. Unusually low but I have noticed my beers with a lot of Munich have lower efficiency.

osagedr 06-25-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSpiffy (Post 4199403)
Man... just saw this thread update... I seriously need a chest freezer.

What was your process for the freeze-distillation? Just pop the finished beer in the carboy in the freezer at 19F and let it sit? If so, for how long?

I racked half of my batch into a 2.5 gallon keg and the other half into a sanitized plastic pail with a tight-fitting lid. Purged with CO2 to minimize exposure to air, then into the freezer. I didn't take note of how long it was in there but not more than a few days.

MrSpiffy 06-26-2012 08:51 PM

Thanks. Man, I can't wait to make this... sounds soooo good!

Tinpanharry 10-21-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osagedr
20 lb 4 oz Weyermann Munich
2 lb Weyermann Pilsner
1 lb Caramunich
8 oz Chocolate

2 oz Hersbrucker (3.5% AA) 90 minutes (FWH)
1 oz Tettnang (4.8% AA) 27 minutes

Hochkurz Double Decoction Mash
Maltose Rest 90 minutes @ 146
Dextrinization Rest 60 minutes @ 160
Mashout 15 minutes @ 170

Half of this batch was used to make an eisbock which was freeze distilled at 19 degrees. I ended up with 24 twelve ounce bottles of doppelbock and 18 of eisbock. The eisbock (named Otto I) is incredibly rich--reminds me of a port. Would be a fantastic dessert beer.

Typo in the thread title: should be "Ainpoeckish."

**Gold Medal, 2012 Cowtown Yeast Wranglers Homebrew Roundup (Calgary, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 MALT Throwdown (Montreal, Quebec)
**Silver Medal, 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Silver Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Vanbrewer Awards (Vancouver, British Columbia)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Wert Contest (Lethbridge, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 ALES Open (Canadian Region NHC qualifier, Regina, Saskatchewan)

How did it turn out?

raymadigan 06-26-2013 05:55 PM

I can't find SafLager W-34/70 at any of the LHBS's, is there an alternative that would work just as well?


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.