Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Dark Lager > All-Grain - Uncle Crunkel's Munich Dunkel (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #21
Brewer Gerard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Really really good. I had intended putting up a picture at the weekend but I went to Ireland's only homebrew expo and things got a bit disorganized from there. All the feedback from other brewers was good so I think i did the recipe justice. It would be great to have one of yours to do a compare and contrast and see is there any benefit from the decoction approach but Pennsylvania is a bit far!

Don't see myself straying from this recipe when i do Dunkels in the future, cheers for sharing a great recipe!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #22
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not a great photo I know. I'll try to get a decent one up when i get the chance!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 AM   #23
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

looks awesome. Decoction is how this is traditionally done and would make the recipe a bit darker....The one i just brewed I used wlp029 kolsch yeast instead of the lager yeast to see what would happen. It's good but not nearly as awesome as the true lagered version. Haha yea Ireland is a bit far- but if you ever come to the states....

Thanks for doing this justice

Old 08-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #24
sideshow_ben
Recipes 

Has anyone tried this with a decoction mash? I am going to brew this as my first lager (very excited!) but I'm trying to decide if doing a modified double decoction (as explained by the BrauKaiser) will make a significant improvement or if I should focus on the lagering and then worry about the more advanced mash later. I'm well versed in turbid mashes so I don't think the decoction mash is beyond my skill level...just not sure if it is really necessary (especially since this recipe already includes dark malts).

Old 08-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
JakeFegely
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just did my first decoction mash this past weekend - it was also my first lager. If you are thinking about and have studied it a bit, I'd recommend you do it. The decoction was not that difficult. My brew was a marzen/fest beer.
My understanding is that the primary benefit of decoction is to develop the full flavor of the malt.
I think my next lager will be a munich dunkel and this looks like a pretty good recipe.

I thought raising kids required patience until I started trying to convince yeast to make beer.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #26
sideshow_ben
Recipes 

Well I just made this. I did a straight infusion as per the original recipe because I was also taking care of my 1-yr-old. Got a big starter crashing, completely rebuilt my kegerator to hold the carboy and I can't wait to watch 'er fly! Thanks for the recipe! I will compete it at my local club in a few months and report back.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #27
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How much chocolate comes through using 1/4 lb?

www.draconianlibations@blogspot.com

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490

Old 09-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #28
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The chocolate is as much for color as it it is just as a slight dark grain character. You dont actually get any "chocolate" per-se however it comes though and ballances nicely.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #29
voicelex
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This recipe looks and sounds wonderful! I am an experienced extract brewer and have done a BIAB 2 gallon batch with pretty good success but I'm starting to get more into Beersmith and would like to understand how to convert this recipe so that I might use this partial mash method.

I have entered the recipe into beersmith as is shown above, with a batch size of 5.5g and a boil volume of 4.5g (my pots are 5g). I exchanged the 3.5#s of Pilsner malt for 3#s of pilsner LME (which I have checked "Add After Boil" on). I assumed a 65% efficiency for the partial mash of the 7.5#s of munich malt but want to make sure this will actually work before I go brewing it.

Am I understanding this all correctly? I don't quite get some of the beersmith terms and it doesn't seem to account for my equipment when doing calculations, which makes me doubt its accuracy on things like IBUs and color.

Any help/advice/direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you ^_^

Old 01-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
DobrePivo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did a slightly modified version of this recipe (based on malt availability) as my second all grain and first double decoction. I'm 2 months in and it tastes downright authentic. I gave my distilled water a Munich profile and used Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager on a big starter. Taste is very clean, but still needs some aging. I racked it from primary a week ago when I purchased my first keg setup. This was the first beer pulled from my tap. I'm very pleased...It reminds me of a very good meal at Hofbräuhaus Las Vegas.

forumrunner_20120102_070744.jpg

Quick Reply