Munich Dunkel Munich Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Bavarian Lager (#2206)
Yeast Starter
3000ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 48F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
60 days @ 35F
Tasting Notes
Fantastic!
4 lbs Munich Malt (8.5 SRM) 39.51 %
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.0 SRM) 39.51 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Munich Malt, Dark (16.0 SRM) 17.28 %
4.0 oz Caramunich (47.0 SRM) 2.47 %
2.0 oz Carafa II, Dehusked (430.0 SRM) 1.23 %
0.25 oz Hallertau [4.30 %] (75 min) (FWH) 3.9 IBU
0.75 oz Spalt [5.60 %] (60 min) 16.9 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertau [4.30 %] (15 min) 4.6 IBU

Sounds good, 5 gal? What type of yeast technique? And did you boil for 75 mins? Thanks

I'm very interested in this recipe also,what yeast? What ferm temps?

would it be possible to ferment as an ale with ale yeast? And if so what would be a good yeast to use? Sadly I don't have lagering equipment :(

Wow sorry about the small font on that last post lol, don't know what happened there...

I brewed it up yesterday but just munich malt, carafa ii, san fransico lager yeast, and hallertau hops. Smelled amazing during the boil. I figured I could use the san Fran lager yeast since I'm fermenting at warmer temps (I'm from FL.) I keep the fermenter at around 72F. I know it won't be a real Munich Dunkel but I'm hoping for something in the ball park :). Maybe I could cold crash it for a night before bottling? I usually carb with honey, any suggestions there for this one?
I bottle.

I'm a very new brewer (not much equipment, and still learning the terms and choices). Does primary and secondary fermentation require me to transfer material from one vessel to another, to add something (like more or different yeast) or is it just a time at which to change temperatures?
I have a basement storage room that's running at 46 degrees right now. When the outside temp rises from the current 10 deg F, the room temperature will rise some, but even in summer it won't go above 65. But I can't tightly control it (I like to think it's like a 19th century brewer's conditions). While it's still winter, would it be dumb to put the recipe together, and just ferment until the specific gravity stops changing?

Let er rip! Secondary is not always necessary. You should secondary (transfer to another vessel) a lager if you plan to lager (store at cold temps) for many weeks.

I'm a very new brewer (not much equipment, and still learning the terms and choices). Does primary and secondary fermentation require me to transfer material from one vessel to another, to add something (like more or different yeast) or is it just a time at which to change temperatures?
I have a basement storage room that's running at 46 degrees right now. When the outside temp rises from the current 10 deg F, the room temperature will rise some, but even in summer it won't go above 65. But I can't tightly control it (I like to think it's like a 19th century brewer's conditions). While it's still winter, would it be dumb to put the recipe together, and just ferment until the specific gravity stops changing?

I believe you'll be okay for the primary fermentation. The "secondary" for a lager usually requires you to move the beer off the yeast and then store (i.e., "lager") it at a temperature just above freezing for the required period. Then package, and Bob's yer uncle.

Note that you may want to do a diacytle (sp. ?) rest before the transfer to secondary. You'll raise the temperature to 60-60 degrees fro 2-3 days, then transfer to secondary and slowly bring the temp down. Alternatively, you could go ahead and prime, bottle, carb, and then lager in the bottles.

HTH!

-Dan

To secondary, you rack (transfer) your beer from your primary vessel to your secondary vessel, typically without adding anything, so that it may sit longer, allowing the yeast in suspension to continue cleaning up the beer, removing intermediate phases of fermentation and giving the yeast more time to flocculate (fall out). That being said, many of us take our ales straight from primary to the keg or bottling bucket and bottle.

As far as your temps in the basement, you may have a perfect situation to make ales when the temps are 60-65 and lagers when it is 48-52 degrees (primary fermentation). Lagers would require a transfer to secondary and (ideally) a temp of around 38-42 for a week per 10 points (ie lager for 4 weeks for a beer that had a starting gravity of 1.040, 5 weeks for one that started at 1.050, etc). Pröst!

i believe you'll be okay for the primary fermentation. The "secondary" for a lager usually requires you to move the beer off the yeast and then store (i.e., "lager") it at a temperature just above freezing for the required period. Then package, and bob's yer uncle.

Note that you may want to do a diacytle (sp. ?) rest before the transfer to secondary. You'll raise the temperature to 60-60 degrees fro 2-3 days, then transfer to secondary and slowly bring the temp down. Alternatively, you could go ahead and prime, bottle, carb, and then lager in the bottles.

Hth!

-dan

+1

Back