Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Dark Lager > AG - chainsaw brewing "death by dunkel"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
EamusCatuli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, when I put the ingredients in my brew software I got a 1.074 OG, is there something wrong with my software or is there a typo somewhere????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
artbrewer
Recipes 

Is 165 degrees your mash temp?
I don't remember ever seeing a temp that high.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
jackson_d
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrewer View Post
Is 165 degrees your mash temp?
I don't remember ever seeing a temp that high.
Is it- 'mash in at 165' so you actually mash around 150 for 60 min?

or- 'mash at 165 for 60 min'?

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
phasedweasel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm confused by that as well - 165 can't be right?

Also, how does the Kölsch yeast behave at 70°? Is that the ambient temp, and the fermenter might even be 5° higher than that?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasedweasel View Post
I'm confused by that as well - 165 can't be right?

Also, how does the Kölsch yeast behave at 70°? Is that the ambient temp, and the fermenter might even be 5° higher than that?
I find kolsch yeast to be rather fruity at 70. You'd get a much cleaner profile at 65 or so.... and if you have temperature control, I would recommend just using a real lager yeast. I don't think the yeast would even floc very well at that temp and certainly not in 21days...but you may not be able to tell because of color, but you'd sure taste it.

And yeah, 165 mash temp cannot be right.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #16
phasedweasel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks. I don't have true "temperature" control, I have a swamp cooler and some icepacks Do you have any recommendations on a clean ale yeast, or would it be better to steam brew it at ~60-65 with a lager yeast?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #17
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if you can do 60-65 go with the kolsch yeast

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i apologize, i miss typed this recipe, and i didn't notice that, or the questions about this until today.
i heat the strike water to 165, which gives me a mash temp of around 150-155. i apologize for that typo/confusion.

as for the yeast, the temperature, and the other questions/concerns i've seen, here's my 2 cents. i've brewed this TONS of times. i usually rack out of the primary to the keg, and immediately brew and rack the new wort onto the yeastcake, because i can't hardly keep enough of this brew on tap to appease me, swmbo, and my friends appetites for it. it is very close to warsteiner dunkel, just a bit heavier, and more malty/flavorfull. i don't know how or why it works, but it does. like i said, i've brewed it many, many times, and it's delicious, and amazing. the only addition i will add to that, is as awesome as it tastes with only two or three weeks in the primary, then into the keg, it tastes even better with about one month of sitting carbed, in the keg. if anyone else has tried this recipe, or wants to, please, i encourage you to do so, and post up your tasting results, to help assure me i'm not crazy, because i've seen a lot of questions regarding my recipe, and my experience.

my bar build

Old 12-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #19
Turbulence
Recipes 

So I was reading about a sweet home bar in my new BYO magazine today and was surprised by the shout out to the death by dunkel, as I just recently tapped a version of this recipe.

So anyways cool bar and great beer! I used WLP800 instead of the kolsch yeast, and not using a starter I ended up with a bit of yeast character I wasn't expecting(maybe DMS). But it seems to compliment the beer well, really pronounces the malty flavor leading into a dry finish.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #20
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulence View Post
So I was reading about a sweet home bar in my new BYO magazine today and was surprised by the shout out to the death by dunkel, as I just recently tapped a version of this recipe.

So anyways cool bar and great beer! I used WLP800 instead of the kolsch yeast, and not using a starter I ended up with a bit of yeast character I wasn't expecting(maybe DMS). But it seems to compliment the beer well, really pronounces the malty flavor leading into a dry finish.
cool! you're the first person that i know that actually tried one of my recipes. i'm glad you like it. i just brewed another batch of this on monday. it's sitting in the carboy bubbling away.

my bar build

Quick Reply