Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - World's Best Oktoberfest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #71
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

pardon my french, but DAYAM is that a good looking beer. wow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #72
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3177 Times on 1984 Posts
Likes Given: 2699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Just saw this thread and figured I would post an old review I did of this beer that the King sent me back in 2009.

Reviewed August 3rd, 2009:

Aroma: 10/12
Caramel and bread with a sweet malt
Appearance: 1/3
Almost no head with a bit of haze, but the color is nice. (Obviously looking at the pics, the recipe can produce a very appealing beer, but my bottle wasn't quite as impressive)
Flavor: 17/20
Sweet malt, crisp finish, subtle hops, molasses high notes shine through
Mouthfeel: 3/5
Full up front, ends crisp, a bit more carbonation would brighten it up (I would guess this affected the appearance as well)
Overall: 7/10
Very good with nice depth and true to style. We felt a bit more carbonation would have been better. World's Best is a bold name, but this is a solid damn beer. I rarely score a beer this high.
Totals: 38/40
38/50. What are we if the math isn't correct?

Old 08-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #73
opteek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Gonna be brewing this tomorrow. This is my first all-grain lager and also first time doing a decoction mash. Lot of great info in this thread so I'm confident it'll be great!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #74
CrackShotHolmes
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
The wait will be worth it, you'll see!
I just couldn't wait any longer. Especially, with all the Oktoberfest and Harvest Style beers already on the shelves.

This beer is great! Flat out, great! I will brew this again and again and again.

Great recipe, thanks for sharing.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #75
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackShotHolmes View Post
I just couldn't wait any longer. Especially, with all the Oktoberfest and Harvest Style beers already on the shelves.

This beer is great! Flat out, great! I will brew this again and again and again.

Great recipe, thanks for sharing.
Glad you like it!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #76
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I'm about to go on vacation so I decide to rev up the ol' Bohemian lager yeast. Day before the trip I realize it's a triple decoction recipe. Although I was not looking forward to ~6+ hours of mashing/brewing, it ended up being a lot of fun and very interesting. I just got through reading "Tasting Beer" and was interested in traditional mash techniques so this worked out well. Hit 1.059 so I did something right.

I've brewed at my house about 10 times and have never had a single person come up and ask about what I was doing until today, when I was making this recipe. Had 6 people stop by asking what the "wonderful aromas" were coming from.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 10-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #77
opteek
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

I've had this kegged for about a week now and have to say that this is one of the finest beers I have brewed. And also my first lager success! I've got a temp controller hooked up and working on my fridge now so I will be making this again very soon. The first batch got upto 60F during the first day and a half in primary so I'm sure I can make it even cleaner the second time. Thank you!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #78
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Well I tapped her today. I see I'm only 3 months from brew day but this beer is a winner. Everyone is blown away. I am a double IPA guy and I'm loving this brew. This is going in the archive and I will brew a couple batches every year. I was pretty sure I was going to mess something up along the way, during the long mash or the lagering but all went well. Thanks again for the great recipe.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 02-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #79
Kirkwooder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Yum!
First off,let me say, that is one good looking brew!!!

Second, I'm thinkiing of brewing this and fermenting it on top of a wyeast 2035 American Lager cake that was my first lager. Will this yeast do this brew justice? This may be my first ever AG brew as well. Is this too "involved", "advanced", or difficult for a noobs first AG brew?

Beer is good, no beer is very bad!

Fridge is full and I can't stack anymore cases in the closet. I need to drink more!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #80
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwooder View Post
First off,let me say, that is one good looking brew!!!

Second, I'm thinkiing of brewing this and fermenting it on top of a wyeast 2035 American Lager cake that was my first lager. Will this yeast do this brew justice? This may be my first ever AG brew as well. Is this too "involved", "advanced", or difficult for a noobs first AG brew?
I don't have experience with that yeast buy I'm sure it would do ok. This is definitely on the more involved end of AG brewing, and as such, may not be the best recipe to start with. You'll already be struggling with your timing and temps and the flow, and the complexity of the process described in this recipe would only cause more confusion. I'd suggest cutting your AG teeth on a couple simpler recipes, and when you're comfortable with that process, then you can step up to this recipe. Cheers!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Quick Reply