Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - World's Best Oktoberfest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #121
shelly_belly
Someday Never Comes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That should be fine. I just happened to brew mine at the end of March and drank it in September and October.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #122
hbr2547
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Can I bottle, carb then lager? Will it have the same impact ?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #123
Ply318ci
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I hope so that is what I am doing.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #124
laughingboysbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default cask conditioning

I am going to give this a recipe a shot... 10gal batch, half the batch will be lagering schedule then kegging, the other half partial lagering, then cask conditioning. I am planning to rack to cask after the diacetyl rest as the temp is coming back down around 54F. Then I'll re-prime with some slurry/DME and go through my normal ale routine for a cask. Condition for 2-3wks.

Curious, for those who have done a similar short clearing phase... and had a good product. Any thoughts on a good fruit/spice adjunct to infuse in the cask? would a citrus be good? coriander?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #125
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingboysbrew View Post
I am going to give this a recipe a shot... 10gal batch, half the batch will be lagering schedule then kegging, the other half partial lagering, then cask conditioning. I am planning to rack to cask after the diacetyl rest as the temp is coming back down around 54F. Then I'll re-prime with some slurry/DME and go through my normal ale routine for a cask. Condition for 2-3wks.

Curious, for those who have done a similar short clearing phase... and had a good product. Any thoughts on a good fruit/spice adjunct to infuse in the cask? would a citrus be good? coriander?
Oh god. Please don't go through all of the trouble of making this beer, a beer intended to showcase the flavor of the base malts combined with a decoction mash and careful fermentation, and then cover up those flavors with fruit or spices! Save that **** for a belgian or wheat beer. This beer needs no doctoring up.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #126
hbr2547
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI

Oh god. Please don't go through all of the trouble of making this beer, a beer intended to showcase the flavor of the base malts combined with a decoction mash and careful fermentation, and then cover up those flavors with fruit or spices! Save that **** for a belgian or wheat beer. This beer needs no doctoring up.
Although only about a month lagered, cracked first bottle last night...amazing cheers kingbrian

Old 09-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #127
laughingboysbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

don't get me wrong...I am not intending to ruin the recipe with a cover up. When trying a new recipe, I do half of every batch in a cask and keg the other (untouched). For the cask, I like doing a little experimentation with spices, etc. I don't want a "fruit beer", but something VERY subtle that will be unique.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #128
idigg
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Brewed 10.5 gallons of this on 9/15, used W34/70 in one carboy, and wyeast 2124 in the other. I did a 2L starter for the wyeast batch, that took off within 12 hours, the W34/70 took a full 36 hours to krausen. Both look healthy! Only my third lager, love watching the slower fermentation happen. Chest freezer is at 47*F carboys are at 51-52*F, should be perfect.

Once I nearly reach FG, I'm going to do a 48 hour D-rest. I'm then going to rack to corny kegs and then lager for 2-3 months. Is it advisable/can I serve out of that keg, or would I need to transfer to a separate serving keg? My other 2 lager experiences was when I was bottling.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #129
laughingboysbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default single infusion or double decoction

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
this is my first lager and first decoction recipe so I'm looking to simplify for this first go-round. thinking about a simplified decoction, like:

10 gallon batch:
1. dough in target temp ~100F, wait for 20 min
2. pull decoction (~22 qrts)
3. bring decoction up to a boil and boil for 10-20 min
4. add decoction back to main mash to get mash to 133 then protein rest for 20 min
5. continue to boil decoction
6. add more decoction back to main mash to get mash to 154 then sacc rest for 60 min

--OR--

Should I reverse it? Do my protein/sacc rests only in the decoc and then once reaching boiling raise main mash to sacc rest? Thoughts either way?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #130
Tarks
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I finally have a ferment chamber set up so I can now lager. I have everything I need to brew this recipe this weekend. I did a 3 step yeast starter to get me sufficient cell count so I am good to go. This is going to be my 1st decoc mash and Im trying to wrap my head around all this. For the like of me I can't figure out how to input the info into Beersmith so I made some notes for my brew day. Can you tell me if this looks right? Should I add 20% to these decocs or was that already taken into account? Cheers.

Step 1 - Add 4.72 Gal @ 101F for a step temp of 97F.

Step 2 - After 20 min pull 11.32 qt of mash and heat to 133F. Hold for 20 min (protein rest).

Step 3 - After protein rest heat mash to 160F. Hold for 20 min (saccharification rest).

Step 4 - After saccharification rest heat mash till boil. Boil for 15 min.

Step 5 - Slowly add boiled mash back into mash tun until mash temp of 150F is reached. Rest for 60 min. (Saccharification rest)

Step 6 - When 15 min is left in the saccharification rest pull 7.1 qt of mash and boil. Add boiled mash to mash tun until 170F is reached. Rest for 15 min.

Step 6 - Vorlauf

Step 7 Fly sparge with 4.7 gal of 168F water.

Kegged: Cascadian Pale Ale, Electric Pale Ale, Muddy Water Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Captain Hooked Pale Ale, Moose Drool

Bottled: Chimay Reserve Clone, Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Strong Ale

Fermentation: House Pale Ale, Black Betty Porter, House Cream Ale, House Amber Ale

Quick Reply