Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - World's Best Oktoberfest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #101
hbr2547
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ
No, two packets of saflager 34w70 rehydrated.

Mine was out of recipe anyway. I didn't get the efficiency I needed (converted from F to C incorrectly during mash) so had to add in light DME.
Excited to try my first double decoction. Read thru posts and watched online videos...to confirm thick part of mash for all but mash out decoction which is thin part?

Also, any tweaks to recipe ct? Thanks in advance this beer looks amazing!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #102
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbr2547

Excited to try my first double decoction. Read thru posts and watched online videos...to confirm thick part of mash for all but mash out decoction which is thin part?

Also, any tweaks to recipe ct? Thanks in advance this beer looks amazing!!!
No expert on decoction mashing, but I just did my first (for a different beer) and shortened to a single decoction. Here are some tips.

1.) plan for plenty of ADDITIONAL time during the brew day, three extra hours is not unreasonable.
2.) get a long handled ladle that holds 16-32 oz to make decoction a easy to pull without making a mess. I got one at amazon 32oz, SS under $20
3.) if you recirculate your mash, with direct fired mash tun, be prepared for the main mash to stick while you are waiting for conversion on the decoction. Consider use of rice hulls. Oh and also, when you are recirculating your mash prior to run off and sparging, you might need to "cut" the mash due to the probable massive amounts of teig that will be covering the grains, like a thick blanket of goo. Next time I intend to add some rice hulls to mine. Be sure to pre soak them so as not to lose efficiency, or add them first or while heating the dough in water.
4.) took WAAAYYY longer to convert the decocted THICK mash than said in recipe, perhaps because my decoction was too thick? I added back a couple quarts of the main mash liquid (which contains the enzymes) to promote faster conversion. Took over an hour. For me, and that was before brining the decoction to a boil.
5.) be sure to boil that decoction for a good 30-45 minutes. YUM! Stir to prevent scorching.
6.) when adding back to main mash, if you've scorched any crud in the decoction, try to leave that behind. Watch those temps as well. Beersmith did not accurately model my temp changes from the decoction and I needed to add ALL THE decoction back in plus heat it some to get to proper temp.
7.) you may need to adjust your main mash temp (like I did) so keep some boiling water ready just in case, unless you can directly heat your mash tun.

All in all, some reasonable tips that might save you some time. Be prepared for some extra efficiency!

For me, since my first decoction was so massive, quite nearly all the grains, I opted to cancel the second decoction (for mash out) and just did my recirculated mash with direct fire mash tun. Plus I got started late and was exhausted.

Good luck!

TD

Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #103
hbr2547
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick

No expert on decoction mashing, but I just did my first (for a different beer) and shortened to a single decoction. Here are some tips.

1.) plan for plenty of ADDITIONAL time during the brew day, three extra hours is not unreasonable.
2.) get a long handled ladle that holds 16-32 oz to make decoction a easy to pull without making a mess. I got one at amazon 32oz, SS under $20
3.) if you recirculate your mash, with direct fired mash tun, be prepared for the main mash to stick while you are waiting for conversion on the decoction. Consider use of rice hulls. Oh and also, when you are recirculating your mash prior to run off and sparging, you might need to "cut" the mash due to the probable massive amounts of teig that will be covering the grains, like a thick blanket of goo. Next time I intend to add some rice hulls to mine. Be sure to pre soak them so as not to lose efficiency, or add them first or while heating the dough in water.
4.) took WAAAYYY longer to convert the decocted THICK mash than said in recipe, perhaps because my decoction was too thick? I added back a couple quarts of the main mash liquid (which contains the enzymes) to promote faster conversion. Took over an hour. For me, and that was before brining the decoction to a boil.
5.) be sure to boil that decoction for a good 30-45 minutes. YUM! Stir to prevent scorching.
6.) when adding back to main mash, if you've scorched any crud in the decoction, try to leave that behind. Watch those temps as well. Beersmith did not accurately model my temp changes from the decoction and I needed to add ALL THE decoction back in plus heat it some to get to proper temp.
7.) you may need to adjust your main mash temp (like I did) so keep some boiling water ready just in case, unless you can directly heat your mash tun.

All in all, some reasonable tips that might save you some time. Be prepared for some extra efficiency!

For me, since my first decoction was so massive, quite nearly all the grains, I opted to cancel the second decoction (for mash out) and just did my recirculated mash with direct fire mash tun. Plus I got started late and was exhausted.

Good luck!

TD
Thanks for the tips

Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #104
hbr2547
Recipes 

Brewed ALL day today and just finished(chilling to 50 to pitch). Ended up getting 91 percent efficiency - jeez - didn't expect that high I'm usually a 75 percent guy

Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #105
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Told ya! How did it taste? Congrats on the first decoction brew.

Td

Old 08-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #106
hbr2547
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick
Told ya! How did it taste? Congrats on the first decoction brew.

Td
Tasted good and the smell was even better!!!! Here is a pick

image-543320806.jpg

Not a great pic but shows the great color

Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #107
TrickyDick

Recipes 

I should post a pic of mine done with step mash. Not nearly as colorful as what that looks like.

TD

Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #108
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly View Post
Do it. I did and it was delicious. I mashed @ 155F. OG 1.054, FG 1.012
Shelly, did you do a 2 hour mash ?---- Would a 90 min mash and 90 min boil be ok ?
what do you recommend? I will be doing the single infusion for sure. Wont have time to do a decoction for a couple of months

thanks

Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #109
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss

Shelly, did you do a 2 hour mash ?---- Would a 90 min mash and 90 min boil be ok ?
what do you recommend? I will be doing the single infusion for sure. Wont have time to do a decoction for a couple of months

thanks
I know folks have done this without decoction, including me, and liked it. If it was me, and I was skipping the decoction, I'd use the grain bill from beirmuncher oktoberFAST ale, which has a bit more complexity and malts to flesh out the malt flavor. I haven't brewed that one myself, but go take a look.

TD

Old 08-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #110
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss View Post

thanks
I did a 90 minute mash and a 90 minute boil.

Quick Reply