Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Revvy's Vienna Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #81
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Is there any reason this beer cannot be in a secondary for 3 months? I will be out of commission for about 3 months and need to brew this so it will be ready when I'm ready.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #82
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Lagering means "to store." Three months is going to make it pretty awesome actually.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #83
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Lagering means "to store." Three months is going to make it pretty awesome actually.
It will be my first lager, I've been thinking of brewing this for a.long time. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #84
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #85
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Some Questions

I am trying to iron out some process issues before I brew this. I have been having issues with the grind of my grain but I think i can get that figured out before i brew this.

Typically I end with about 2.25 gallons in my bottle bucket and i assume it would be the same for a secondary. Since i will be using the same container, 3 gallon better bottle, there will be about .75 gallon of air space above the beer.

Is is common practice to just leave it as air, or to purge it with CO2?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #86
ShaineT
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_stodd View Post
I'm now 'lagering' which means I covered my fermenter with a big plastic bag, then put it in a cooler thingy, and put the whole thing outside. I'm getting air temp highs and lows of around 40F and 28F, so I'm assuming with some insulation to smooth things out, it won't turn out too bad.

My primary was 10 days I think, the gravity was getting low (1.016), so I did a 40 hour rest at room temp, then put it outside. I read that the rest should be done before it's too attenuated, so that's why my primary was shorter than others. When I did the rest, I didn't detect any diacetyl, only large amounts of deliciousness. I'm curious what this will taste like in time, perhaps it will give me an idea of what diacetyl tastes like, or perhaps I just didn't have any.
I'm wondering how you calculate when to start the D-rest if trying to hit a certain FG. I'm brewing a Marzen soon but using a yeast with higher attenuation WLP830 rather than the 820 and planned to rest & rack to lagering before falls below 1.017 or so.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #87
spark_plug
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Well I finally kegged this beer, and it turned out fantastic! I think the White Labs Belgian lager was a great yeast choice. Very well received by friends that have tired it. Bravo to a fantastic recipe Revvy!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #88
YeasternStar

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dos Equis Dark is one of my favorite beers when it's on tap, not so much when it's bottled. I think Revvy's recipe will be the first lager I try once I get set up to brew that way. I won't change anything until I've brewed my first batch and sampled it.

Gaston Brewing Company
High in the Low Country!

-Brew unto others as you would have them brew unto you-

Introducing AutoBrew

Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #89
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I made this recipe 2 days ago and it is just starting to ferment now. The bubbles are about 4 seconds apart. I hope it gets going faster. I changed the yeast to Bohemian Lager, 2124. I am fermenting at 50F. I probably needed to use a starter but this is what I get for listening to the LHBS. My plan is to let it d-rest for 48 hours then rack to a secondary and let it store at 40 for about 3 months.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #90
YeastieBoys
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymadigan
I made this recipe 2 days ago and it is just starting to ferment now. The bubbles are about 4 seconds apart. I hope it gets going faster. I changed the yeast to Bohemian Lager, 2124. I am fermenting at 50F. I probably needed to use a starter but this is what I get for listening to the LHBS. My plan is to let it d-rest for 48 hours then rack to a secondary and let it store at 40 for about 3 months.
Sounds good. Make sure to do a yeast starter next time. Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply