Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Revvy's Vienna Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #61
YeastieBoys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the recipe Revvy. Just finished my batch. 5.5 gallons, 1.049 og. I added 1 oz of hallertauer at 60 mins and realized I was going to be under for ibu's. Added .25 oz hersbrucker at 30 mins. I know that it's a little out of style, but it gave me 20.3 ibu's.
I have a nice 50 degree spot upstairs in my bungalow. Perfect for a late Michigan fall.
Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #62
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My thoughts are you did the right thing by adding some more hops.

I brewed this last night as well and since my 1 oz of hallertauer was only 3.8% AA, I added 0.5 of tettnang (probably not the best substitute but it's the closest I had) to get me above 20 IBUs. Decided to only use 0.5 lbs of Caramunich and made up the difference with more Vienna malt. OG was 1.050. Got temp down to 58-60 degrees, then pitched re-hydrated S-23 (first time using it) after giving a blast of O2, I put in garage where it currently reads 50 degrees this morning. Been a little over 12 hours, and I already see bubbling.

Mashed at 152 instead of 154, since lately I've been having trouble getting my FGs down low enough. (I wonder if my thermometer is out of wack). The smell of Vienna mashing was definitely unique since I'm used to brewing ales mostly with some sort of 2-row base malt.

Looking forward to this one.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #63
atri
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default has anyone seen this happening?

photo-2.jpg

I'm a little concerned about the stuff on the ridges. Yeast? Hops? Trub?

Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #64
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Just floculating yeast clinging to the ridges of the carboy. Happens all the time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #65
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

After 5 days my hydrometer reads around 1.022. Initially I was a little worried that it was fermenting too fast, but then I realized that I used a yeast starter, so there's a lot of yeast in their doing there thing, even if it is at a cooler temperature. Does this seem correct? There was some time where I'm sure it got too warm, but it's been pretty cool for the most part.

The hydro sample smelled awesome, and I'm super excited about this one!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #66
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atri View Post
Attachment 86983

I'm a little concerned about the stuff on the ridges. Yeast? Hops? Trub?
No concerns like Revvy says, but this obviously isn't his Vienna lager recipe. Did you modify it with darker malt?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #67
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

That picture isn't too different from how mine looked. A flash can make it look more opaque than it really is, also.

I just bottled my PM version and it's tasting pretty good. To save anyone having to dig through the thread, this was made using 5 oz (!) of Spalt Select (1.3 %AA) and another 1oz of it thrown in for the last 10 minutes. Fermented with WLP833. I think I only gave it 3 weeks in primary, with a probably unnecessary D-rest and then a month of lagering at 32-34°F. OG was 1.051, FG was 1.012.

It's my first lager, but zomg is that crystal clear. It's like looking through a caramel-colored window pane. It has a nice maltiness and some nuttiness which I presume is from the vienna. It does have some spicy hoppage that's probably out of style, but I have to say I don't regret throwing that in. I was a bit worried that there'd be some grassiness from using 6 oz of hops in a lager, but I don't detect any. The only flaw I see right now is a dull but fairly strong bitterness late in the aftertaste. A minute after a sip, it's still with you. In an ale, I wouldn't think twice about this because it tastes like something that would age out quickly. I'm not sure what to expect in a lager, though, since I'd think it'll evolve somewhat less in bottles. But we'll find out!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #68
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

I'm now 'lagering' which means I covered my fermenter with a big plastic bag, then put it in a cooler thingy, and put the whole thing outside. I'm getting air temp highs and lows of around 40F and 28F, so I'm assuming with some insulation to smooth things out, it won't turn out too bad.

My primary was 10 days I think, the gravity was getting low (1.016), so I did a 40 hour rest at room temp, then put it outside. I read that the rest should be done before it's too attenuated, so that's why my primary was shorter than others. When I did the rest, I didn't detect any diacetyl, only large amounts of deliciousness. I'm curious what this will taste like in time, perhaps it will give me an idea of what diacetyl tastes like, or perhaps I just didn't have any.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #69
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Tried the first one this evening after 3 weeks carbonating and 3 days in the fridge to settle. It's pretty good, but I think it's still a bit green. It has a bit of a bitter bite to it. The hop flavor from my 10 minute addition is ok, but I think a bit much. It helped to let it warm a bit, which accentuated the maltiness, giving a better balance. I think a bit more time in the bottles will help balance the flavors and improve the carbonation a bit. It was pleasantly effervescent, but the head was small and short-lived.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #70
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

What would you think of using ale yeast instead of lager yeast? I know it wouldn't have the same clean crisp taste, but I was just kicking the idea around. Cheers!

Quick Reply