Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Revvy's Vienna Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #51
Duffman870727
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm thinking of brewing this soon, question about the hops: How does the aroma profile come out since you are only adding them at the start of the boil? I am an IPA fan, so while I do enjoy a nice lager I prefer it to have a little hop character showing. Would adding another 16gm (0.5oz) at flameout give me the tweak I'm looking for?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #52
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman870727
I'm thinking of brewing this soon, question about the hops: How does the aroma profile come out since you are only adding them at the start of the boil? I am an IPA fan, so while I do enjoy a nice lager I prefer it to have a little hop character showing. Would adding another 16gm (0.5oz) at flameout give me the tweak I'm looking for?
Then it won't be THIS beer. Most lagers have little if any hop character . This especially is a malt driven lager. There's not SUPPOSED to be any hop flavor or aroma. This isn't a black iPa. It's a specific style of beer, and its brewed true to style.

I can't really speak on extra hops in this recipe since there's not supposed to be any for this style of beer. Some beer styles, and some beer recipes can be played with, my Belgian Blonde for example, some folks use it as a base beer with fruit. Or may change the yeast or hops. That's fine, I think with Belgian Blondes there's some space for exrpession.

But I don't think this one is like this. Viennas are sort of a lost style, there's very few commercial examples out there, and there's very few folks who brew this style. This recipe was create by me through the research cited above. If you're looking to brew a true Vienna lager, then this, I think is, the recipe to brew...As is. Except for perhaps changing to another lager yeast which might lend a different character, but still stay within the style.

But to add different hop additions, because you like hoppier beer, i can't really help you with, because this is not supposed to be a hoppier beer. You might want to look at a cascadian dark ale, if you want something like that.

If you did want to experiment with this, I would day, brew this AS IS the first time.....Then perhaps play with it. But you might find, that this recipe is pretty damn good just as it is.

Have you ever actually had a vienna lager? Why don't you try some commercial examples before you decide to change this one....Not every beer you brew has to be the same, does it?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #53
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I put together a PM version of this. It's my first lager, and the yeast choice is driven because I am going to do some bocks, so this was something of a "giant starter" for those.

My recipe was:

5 lb vienna malt
1 lb caramunich
0.5 lb crystal 60L
mashed at 154°F then sparged to yield about a 3.5 gallon starting boil

24 IBU worth of german spalt select at 60 min.

3.5 lb light DME 15 minutes before the end of the boil
[*]

Topped up to about 5.75 gallons (including probably half a gallon of trub and hops debris) and fermented with a decanted 3L WLP833 German Bock Yeast starter, using two vials. This hit the OG right on the nose, but you will probably need to tweak numbers based on your process efficiency a little bit. These numbers work for about 60% efficiency.

I used spalt select because I have it lying around. By no means do I suggest that this is a good idea, but it's what I did. As I said, I've not done any lagers before. This one is nearing the end of primary and will go to lager this weekend. The sample today, at about 1.012 SG, was very encouraging flavor-wise.
[*] I am a bit frightened to admit this, but in a gametime decision, I added another ounce of spalt select at 10 minutes. Obviously, for the reasons Revvy expressed above, that blows the style on this one. In this case, I opted to in order to get a better feel for the character of this variety of hops. If you're aiming to do a PM version of this, definitely stick to the original hops schedule. From what I've tasted so far, I will definitely be doing this recipe again, and I think next time I will stick to Revvy's hops recipe.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #54
Revvy

Recipes 

Sounds good Zeg let me know how it turns out. I can't wait to hear when you do it with my original hops. You might have come up with the pm version of this beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

zeg Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #55
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

What a coincidence, just today I decided I would try my first lager, then was hoping someone on this thread would post a PM.

Going to give zeg's recipe a shot with Hallertauer hops. I'll try to report back in a few months.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #56
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

revvy, your recipe looks nice. I usually don't like to alter lager recipes but I have all the ingredients for this vienna except the haller, what do you think of subing in tettnanger? I have 3/4 pound of this and since its a good german hop being utilized at 60 min as a bittering addition thought it would work. your thoughts.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #57
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonex View Post
revvy, your recipe looks nice. I usually don't like to alter lager recipes but I have all the ingredients for this vienna except the haller, what do you think of subing in tettnanger? I have 3/4 pound of this and since its a good german hop being utilized at 60 min as a bittering addition thought it would work. your thoughts.
It should work fine. It's a noble hop. And it's only enough hopping on beers like this to bitter. Not necessarily to flavor it too much. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #58
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It should work fine. It's a noble hop. And it's only enough hopping on beers like this to bitter. Not necessarily to flavor it too much. Let us know how it turns out.
good you agree, I sure will report back.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #59
Duffman870727
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I had to search around and really the only commercial vienna available to me is from king brewery. I tried it and liked it so I brewed a 3 Gal batch of your recipe as is. I didn't realize style would be so limiting to experimentation, need to educate myself some more I guess. Im just about a week into primary with this, darker than I anticipated, what do you think? My first lager brew so im looking forward to opening the first bottle!

forumrunner_20121116_191842.png

forumrunner_20121116_192445.png

Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #60
atri
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Had a great time brewing this on my front porch. Had to do it because of rain. As it turns out the porch is a great place to brew!

Thanks for the recipe Revvy! I scaled it to 23L and used 50g of Saaz as I was short on the hallertau.

SG was higher than expected: 1060.

Made a 2l starter with wyeast Munich lager.

image-2317268363.jpg  

Quick Reply