Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Revvy's Vienna Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #41
trevorsteen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Brewed this today. Used southern germany lager yeast (WL838 ). Probably my smoothest brew day to date. Will post results in 60 days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #42
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts

Just curious, have you ever lowered the mash temp to dry it out a bit?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #43
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Great recipe. Brewed this around the first of November and after 60+ days of lagering, it,s great. The only change I made from the original was to drop the mash temp to 151f. Very smooth and well balanced. Will definitely brew again. Great job Revvy!!!

Old 05-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #44
BucksPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Also, to make a note again. This is an excellent bottle brew. Some bottles, like hefes require a glass for consumption. This is one of those brews you drink right from the bottle after a day or yardwork, etc

40 Gallons brewed in 2013....and counting
33 Gallons brewed in 2012
159 Gallons brewed in 2011

My Brutus 10

Old 06-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #45
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

While I've been gathering parts for my keezer, I've started designing little graphics for my tap handles. I've designed just a simple little handle idea with a lamnated graphic for each beer. I'm fiddling with a way just to slip the little laminated graphics into the handles so I can easily change them. But I've made a little Icon that is 2.25" wide x 3" long.

Right now I'm doing the ones for the beers that are going to be regular house beers. This one is obviously one of them.

Here's the one for this beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #46
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hello,
I picked sixes up of negra modelo and amber dos equis recently and really like that style of beer.
Dos equis seems to have a bit more balanced taste with some adjunts added maybe?
Modelo might have more crystal malts added to it and it is a bit darker.

Anyway - can anyone tell me how close in taste this recipe is to either of those mexican beers?

Thanks Kevin

Old 06-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #47
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr View Post
Hello,
I picked sixes up of negra modelo and amber dos equis recently and really like that style of beer.
Dos equis seems to have a bit more balanced taste with some adjunts added maybe?
Modelo might have more crystal malts added to it and it is a bit darker.

Anyway - can anyone tell me how close in taste this recipe is to either of those mexican beers?

Thanks Kevin
I haven't tasted either of them in years. But I would say this is probably closest to Negra Modelo, but with a bit more flavor.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #48
tommygunn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the great recipe Revvy!

I brewed this back in April, with minor modifications. My LHBS only had caramunich I, which is 39L rather than the 56L caramunich listed in your recipe. I also decided to substitute a bit of munich dark (9L) for some of the vienna malt, to add another level of flavor complexity; it ended up being about 9-10% of the recipe, so mine was about 75% vienna malt.

Overall this is a very nice, drinkable beer that's quite interesting on the palate. I do find it rather heavy compared to most mexican-style vienna lagers on the market, so please don't expect it to be light and easy-drinking like Dos Equis Amber (which I really like too). It's a good fall beer....a bit too heavy for the hot North Carolina summer we're having this year!

If I make this again I think I'll decrease the amount of caramel malt and see how that changes the result. The caramunich of ~10.5% plus crystal 60L of ~5.25% is quite a bit of caramel malt for me....I think it adds a bit too much body and some cloying syrupy sort of notes, at least with the 152-4 mash temp I used. These have mellowed some with 6-8 weeks of lagering, but it's still a bit much for me. Still, it's a great beer!

I'll probably enjoy this beer much more when October comes around, which is kinda the point of a Vienna lager/Oktoberfest style of beer I guess! Most likely I'll keep much of it lagering in the garage fridge/kegerator for the next few months.

Haeffnkr, if you want to make something more like Dos Equis amber I'd aim to decrease the SRM and alcohol by cutting down the caramel malt amount and decreasing the mash temp a bit. A 4% or so ABV beer made with mostly vienna and with a touch of crystal for color/body is likely closer to what you're looking for.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #49
Mrtickel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone done a 5 gallon partial mash with this recipe if yes could you please post the recipe for me.
thanks

Old 09-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #50
Brewskier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtickel View Post
Has anyone done a 5 gallon partial mash with this recipe if yes could you please post the recipe for me.
thanks
I'd be interested in hearing about this too.

Quick Reply