Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Revvy's Vienna Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #31
Akavango
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks Revvy, knew that it wasn't a second fermentation but wasn't sure if i should rake in a secondary bucket.

60 days is a long time.

3940L brewed since August 2011.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #32
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akavango View Post
Thanks Revvy, knew that it wasn't a second fermentation but wasn't sure if i should rake in a secondary bucket.

60 days is a long time.
Not for perfection. Many beers are lagered or even secondaried for much longer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #33
BucksPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This beer is a homerun 2 weeks in the keg. Bottles aren't carbed yet so other recipients will just have to wait. The safale always ferments through in 10 days or so, so it was shorter than anticipated. I did cold crash and rack to secondary for lagering at 30 days though. Came out very clear. Im impressed and can't wait to brew it again. Gratitude!

40 Gallons brewed in 2013....and counting
33 Gallons brewed in 2012
159 Gallons brewed in 2011

My Brutus 10

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #34
dutchcanuck
Recipes 

Revvy,

I'm following in your footsteps and I currently have a bock 'lagering' in my shed. I have it wrapped in a sleeping bag in order to prevent it from freezing. I plan on kegging it this spring and I have you to thank for inspiring me to do this.

Cheers,
Ken

Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #35
Akavango
Recipes 

I was hoping to ghetto lager it but we never got the low temp as we did the last few winter in Ireland. Last year was so cold that water froze in the pipes and the toilet bowl.

So I will have to lager it in my fridge. The problem is that I have 3 beers in fermentation, 1 ale and 2 lagers, that have to be finished by lagering them. The second problem is that I only have a small fridge at home ( big enough for a 33l bucket but not much more when bucket is in the fridge).

So my question is what is the minimum amount of time you can lager it to make it descent? I was thinking 10 days each because I actually need my fridge for food stuff and such.
Should I go longer? or write them off and hope for the best?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #36
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akavango View Post
I was hoping to ghetto lager it but we never got the low temp as we did the last few winter in Ireland. Last year was so cold that water froze in the pipes and the toilet bowl.

So I will have to lager it in my fridge. The problem is that I have 3 beers in fermentation, 1 ale and 2 lagers, that have to be finished by lagering them. The second problem is that I only have a small fridge at home ( big enough for a 33l bucket but not much more when bucket is in the fridge).

So my question is what is the minimum amount of time you can lager it to make it descent? I was thinking 10 days each because I actually need my fridge for food stuff and such.
Should I go longer? or write them off and hope for the best?
I don't know, it really all depends on if there's "crap" from fermentation that needs to be lagered out of it. It's really one of those things that you do until it's "done."

One thing you might consider. I read MR Wizard's collumn in BYO just about a year ago this month where he was advocating not racking to a secondary and bulk lagering, instead he recommended bottling it and lagering in the bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wizard March/April 2011

I am making a classic style Pilsner and was wondering how long I can lager the beer in the secondary fermenter and in the bottles? Is two months in the secondary too long? Should I condition it longer in the secondary or in the bottles?
Dave Wood

I think this question probably will generate two very different answers depending upon who you ask. In this case you asked me and will get my take on it. Let’s back up . . . why lager beer at all? The most common reasons cited for lagering, or aging before serving, are diacetyl reduction, acetaldehyde reduction, clarification and carbonation.

Some folks talk about flavor maturation, flavor mellowing and beer stabilization when they talk about lagering, but these are all different terms for the four objectives I cited. The only thing that should be performed before bottling is clarification, and this only needs to be done partially since yeast is needed for bottle conditioning and the bottle bottom serves reasonably well to keep yeast sediment out of the beer, provided that some care is exercised when moving bottles around and when the beer is poured.

I suggest fermenting your lager until the final gravity is stabilized and then allowing it to sit at the fermentation temperature for a few days to give the diacetyl and acetaldehyde reduction steps a solid head start, if not more than enough time to be complete. Move the beer to a cold place, such as a refrigerator or snow bank for about a week. The cold temperature will knock a lot of the yeast out of solution and make racking easier prior to bottling. I then would rack, prime and bottle.

If you want to hold your Pilsner for a couple of months prior to drinking I would suggest the hold step after bottling because the bottle has everything you need for lagering; yeast, beer, fermentable sugars and a mechanism to hold the carbon dioxide in the container (the bottle cap). This is of course not traditional for lagers. Most lagers brewed in the old days, which is what brewers often reference when discussing “traditional” methods, were aged in large tanks or barrels and then moved into smaller barrels where they would be transported to the tavern for serving.
Can you bottle and fit them all in your fridge or something?

It's funny you posted this question about this particular beer. I'm in the process of trying to build an uber-ghetto lagering box to lager this particular beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #37
Akavango
Recipes 

It would amount of the same 54 pints size bottles or a 33L sized bucket. I haven't racked it in a secondary. I think I will just leave them 10 days in the fridge then bottle. Just wanted to try a lager or 2. No biggies if they are not perfect.
Thanks Revvy.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #38
beeboy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this as my superbowl beer this year. Yeah, I've been 'sampling' it. Wow Revvy, this is fantastic! The maltiness of this brew just amazes me! It is one of the best that I have done!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #39
Carrion
Recipes 

I started 10 gallons of this on Thursday 2/9. I'll know how good it is in about 3 months. I have a fridge for lagering.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #40
Revvy

Recipes 

Wow guys. I'm honored.

Quick Reply