Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Revvy's Vienna Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
BucksPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i think im going to brew this as a decoction this weekend. it will be my first decoction attempt.

40 Gallons brewed in 2013....and counting
33 Gallons brewed in 2012
159 Gallons brewed in 2011

My Brutus 10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Let me know how it goes with the decoction.... I was thinking about brewing it tomorrow at "Teach a friend" but I'm not ready for ghetto lagering yet this season.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #23
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Hey Revvy, have you ever made this without the caramel malt? I'm looking to change my recipe (look at the name btw in my sig, its a tribute to you) to an all- or at least close to all-Vienna version and I'm not sure if I'd like the caramel in there.

As a matter of fact, I wonder how this would be with only vienna and a good decoction mash.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Hey Revvy, have you ever made this without the caramel malt? I'm looking to change my recipe (look at the name btw in my sig, its a tribute to you) to an all- or at least close to all-Vienna version and I'm not sure if I'd like the caramel in there.

As a matter of fact, I wonder how this would be with only vienna and a good decoction mash.
No, I've based this on Chris Colby's research in the bYO and Basic Brewing pieces, and he says a tiny bit of caramel in the recipe is ok....

The only sub I've ever done was doing a 10 gallon batch where we were short like 2 pounds of vienna in our grainbill and we had cleaned out 2 stores...so we just went with two pounds of two row. It was still a good beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #25
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

How you seen Jamil's recipe? I don't think it even comes close after having brewed it. It's a mix of munich, vienna and pilsner. Yours is much closer than that. I'm thinking yours without the caramel and a single or double decoction for my next attempt.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #26
BucksPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Let me know how it goes with the decoction.... I was thinking about brewing it tomorrow at "Teach a friend" but I'm not ready for ghetto lagering yet this season.
That "detroitish" area isn't cold enough yet for some ghetto lagering? In southeast PA we aren't ready yet, luckily for me I have a Johnson Control in my chest freezer as well as a heater. The only thing that is hurting me is that I will have to observe the weather and switch between heat and cool manually. This weekend is chilly and next weekend is warm. My garage fluctuates a lot at this time of year.

My Brutus 10

Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #27
BucksPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

so i brewed it up single infusion...was planning on d-coc but had to invest in a 5 gallon kettle and didnt feel like rushing that purchase. anyway, held 154 for the mash, ended up putting too much runnings into the boil kettle, so i boiled away for a few minutes longer before starting my 60 minute hop addition and ended up at 1.055 and 11.25 gallons into fermenters instead of 1.052 and 11.5 gallons in the fermenter. i'll consider it a success.

My question though, being that I've never used S-23, is this. Is 30 days in the primary a bit too long? It's been 26 hours in the primary at 53 degrees in my chest freezer and already at high krausen, bubbling away. I think on the short side this will ferment out in 1-2 weeks, 3 on the low side. I was planning on doing a Diacetyl rest to be safe, but am told to do that when fermentation is >75% finished. So if it's at 1.020 in a week, pull it out for 48 hours, rack to secondary and lager????? What are your thoughts about a short primary ferment and then maintaining a 30 day period of lagering versus holding to 30 days in the primary and then lagering, both ways after a 2 day diacetyl rest?

danke

My Brutus 10

Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #28
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Revvy,

Quick question, I brewed this recipe this week end. You recommend to ferment at a temp and then do a second fermentation at a second temp.

I remember having a discussion with you about second fermentation. You stated that it wasn't necessary to change bucket and that you could have a better result while keeping it in the same bucket until bottling..

Is the second fermentation just about the change of temperature or should i consider changing bucket too?

Thanks
if this one is as good as the leffe, i can't wait to taste it.

4187L brewed since August 2011.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #29
Revvy

Recipes 

That's not a real seconday fermentation, that's just how Beersmith lists the lagering step. Your letting the beer mellow in the cold to clean up. I still leave my beer in primary for a month, then do a d-rest, rack it to a secondary and then let it lager in the cold for a few weeks.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #30
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2449 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

I was planning on making this for my first decoction, but sadly I am out of Vienna.

I'll double check, but I think I used it all up and almost out of munich as well.

Quick Reply