Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Revvy's Vienna Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #91
Mdsutton
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Pissed made this last night, OG way OFF! 1.04ish only second all grain batch. Using 70 QT cooler, bazooka screen. Thought I followed Rezzy's instructions ( well I did add Saaz for aroma at 5 minutes). Another thing that surely changed reading if only slightly I pulled 1.5 Qt of first running's for the yeast starter. Oh well pitched the yeast starter it will still be beer, and hopefully still taste wonderful.

Martin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #92
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I made this recipe on 8/5. my very first lager. I am about to start lagering it for 2.5 to 3 months. It tastes great, thanks for this recipe. Next time I have to do a better job of hitting the OG.

I used Bohemian Lager wYeast 2124

Here are some numbers for this batch.

OG was 1.044 compared to goal for the recipe of 1.051
FG is 1.016 compared to 1.010 for the recipe.

with an ABV 3.6%

Lagering at 1C or 33.8F :-)

Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #93
elpenoso
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Everything I have read on this style suggests to not use too much caramel malt. This recipe looks like it has twice the amount suggested in the OP BYO article (.75#).

I subbed the c60 for c40 but still worry it will be too sweet. This is important as I will enter it in a comp in which 300$ will be on the line.
Does anyone have any professional reviews/scores on this?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #94
elpenoso
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpenoso View Post
Everything I have read on this style suggests to not use too much caramel malt. This recipe looks like it has twice the amount suggested in the OP BYO article (.75#).

I subbed the c60 for c40 but still worry it will be too sweet. This is important as I will enter it in a comp in which 300$ will be on the line.
Does anyone have any professional reviews/scores on this?
Since the grain is already mixed, I will probably bump it up to 9lbs vienna and up the batch to 5.5g to be on the safer end of things.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #95
spark_plug
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Has anybody tried an extended mash on this to dry it out more? I absolutely inhaled my keg of it, and am definitely going to make it again but think I would like it just a bit drier.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #96
Sarge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I did a 2.5 gallon BIAB batch last year and "ghetto" lagered at 50 degrees. Turned out great and didn't last very long. Friends ask me all the time when I'm going to make another batch.

At 7 months of age it scored 43 & 44 in one comp and didn't medal (dang marzens ).

At 11 months it took 3rd at a different comp. Judges did note that it tasted a little aged.

I hope to brew this again within the next month.

Awesome beer!!! Thanks Revvy.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #97
Tarks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brewed this up 3 weeks ago. Brew day went well. Fermented at 50F for 20 days then diacetyl rest for 3 days at 65F. Today I transferred to secondary, took a gravity reading and it came out to 1.018. Ouch! Beersmith estimates a FG of 1.012 so I'm out 6 points. My bad as I didn't take a gravity reading after 20 days of primary. I figured the fermentation was near complete as the burping had slowed down to nearly nothing. Guess I was wrong. I used German Lager WLP830 with a 2 step starter to get me in the 400 billion cell count range.

Anyhow, my question is. Should I keep my secondary bucket at 65F for a few more days to see if the suspended yeast will clean up? Or would you just go ahead and lager at 35F right now?

Kegged: Cascadian Pale Ale, Electric Pale Ale, Muddy Water Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Captain Hooked Pale Ale, Moose Drool

Bottled: Chimay Reserve Clone, Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Strong Ale

Fermentation: House Pale Ale, Black Betty Porter, House Cream Ale, House Amber Ale

Old 12-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #98
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I brewed this recipe on 8/5 and and on 8/25 moved it to a secondary fermentor after I put a layer of co2 in the secondary to help prevent oxidation. I am finally able to bottle it this weekend. I wish I could keg it but I'm just not there yet. I do have a couple of questions, this is my very first lager.

Do I need to add a little yeast when I add the sugar for carbonation?

I should just add enough sugar for a regular carbonated brew?

Quick Reply