Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Marzen/Oktoberfest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #71
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

as soon as AHS gets munich back in stock, this is getting brewed. haven't found a better place that lets you build recipes with grain in OZ increments

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #72
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 65 Posts

I'm going to brew this again next Friday. Gotta make a 3 liter starter before then. I was impressed with this after it sat in cold storage long enough . Still may be late for Octoberfest but, I'm looking forward to brewing it just the same.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #73
Brewskii
Recipes 

Hey Yooper; question: I know you are fairly well versed in water chemistry. I used bruin water and beersmith to try to approximate Munich water for this beer but it looks like the addition requires chalk which I don't have and seems ill- advised by AJ as it is unpredictable at best.

I used distilled h2o and usually build with gypsum, calcium chloride, and/ or Epsom salts.

What do you recommend for salt additions/ water profile for this brew. I think I read about you installing a RO unit so I guess I'm asking what your additions look like the last time you made this( or something like it).

Old 06-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #74
badgerbrew14
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just brewed this - first lager. It's now sitting in the ferm chamber, which is having a bit of difficulty staying about 48. But I pitched the starter at high krausen, so hopefully we'll get some fermentation temp change here shortly. Little high on the OG at 1.056, but it looks and smells great. Looking forward to October! Thx, Yooper.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #75
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Did this tonight, first beer where i pretty much nailed everything.

I mean all the beers come out good, but the Preboil gravity is a bit high or low, volumes are off by 1/4th of a gallon...small things that dont really affect much.

This though, got the exact preboil volume, exact preboil gravity, exactly 5 gallons, and ended up .003 high or so on the final gravity so im happy.

Its sitting in my ferm fridge now chilling to 50 so i can throw in the yeast tomorrow morning before work. Cant wait for this one!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #76
Brewskii
Recipes 

Started at 1.064 so she's a bit on the strong and full bodied side ( for an O-fest). This is my third time with this recipie and it seems to be better this time around. I pitched at 48F and let it free rise around day 5 before ramping down to lager (34F).

Started this journey July 1. Plan is to bulk age at 34 till end of August and then bottle.

image-4193272925.jpg   image-2388861949.jpg  

Old 11-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #77
Iceman6409
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Question. I made the original posted recipe and followed everything. It has been in the primary/secondary now for two months at about 33-35 degreesF. Would this be long enough where I can now think about bottling or should I let it go longer? Also when bottling would I bring it up to room temperature to bottle?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #78
Brewskii
Recipes 

I would bottle it, then leave it at room temp for 2-4 weeks. Check if to be sure its carbonated ok and then put the bottles in the fridge for another month or so. The longer you keep it in the cold, the better this ones gonna be.
It's my experience that home-brewed lagers need to age to really hit their stride. Cold temps ( after its carbonated) will help speed the aging process up a bit.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #79
Iceman6409
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Keep in mind the recipe did call for an ale yeast, no a lager yeast. Will that have any effect or make any difference?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #80
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409 View Post
Question. I made the original posted recipe and followed everything. It has been in the primary/secondary now for two months at about 33-35 degreesF. Would this be long enough where I can now think about bottling or should I let it go longer? Also when bottling would I bring it up to room temperature to bottle?
It should be in the primary at 50 degrees, and only once it's done put into the secondary at 33 degrees.

Check the SG and see where you are. If it's done, you can bottle it cold, no problem.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply