Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Marzen/Oktoberfest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #61
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just got a fridge for fermenting so I'm going to give this a try. My last attempt at an Oktoberfest came out really good but I used ale yeast so not a true Oktoberfest.

When you do the two batch sparges, do you let them rest or do you stir and drain?

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #62
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
I just got a fridge for fermenting so I'm going to give this a try. My last attempt at an Oktoberfest came out really good but I used ale yeast so not a true Oktoberfest.

When you do the two batch sparges, do you let them rest or do you stir and drain?
When I batch sparge, I just add the water and stir like a madwoman. Then vorlauf and drain, without waiting. Then repeat, if doing two rounds. I've done it several different ways- waiting 10 minutes, not waiting, doing one round, doing two rounds, etc, but I've never noticed any difference in the results so went back to the simplest and quickest way.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #63
superdelux
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We brewed this over the weekend. We had a problem getting it to cool down to 50deg to pitch the yeast and it was getting late so we pitched it around 70degrees, we left it out over night and it was bubbling by the morning so we threw it in the fridge to bring it to 50deg. Would adding the yeast at a higher temp cause a problem with anything?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #64
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdelux View Post
We brewed this over the weekend. We had a problem getting it to cool down to 50deg to pitch the yeast and it was getting late so we pitched it around 70degrees, we left it out over night and it was bubbling by the morning so we threw it in the fridge to bring it to 50deg. Would adding the yeast at a higher temp cause a problem with anything?
Not a problem, maybe just some esters and other off-flavors from beginning fermentation 20 degrees too warm. It may mean a fruity lager in the end.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #65
superdelux
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Not a problem, maybe just some esters and other off-flavors from beginning fermentation 20 degrees too warm. It may mean a fruity lager in the end.
thanks! cant wait to try this out, were gonna be a little past oktoberfest but it will still taste the same when we finally tap it.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #66
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I thought I would share a quick phone pic of a version of this most excellent brew, first pour, five days in the bottle. This is a 15 gallon all-grain batch; I brought up the caramalt as I was going for the more traditional dark amber version vs.. the lighter stuff they serve at Oktoberfest these days. I also stepped out of tradition and primed with brown sugar which really complements the strong caramel malt backbone. It was in primary for three weeks back in March, then lagered at 38 degrees for five months. OG 1.056, FG 1.012, 5.9% abv I believe. The crappy cell phone pic does not do it justice; such a brilliant dark red yet clear, and the taste is pretty fantastic, well worth the wait Thanks Yoop!

225135_10151133831084265_846629247_n.jpg  

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #67
YeastWrangler88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey everyone. Looks like some good recipes. I recently did a Oktoberfest, well actually it's been lagering for about 9 weeks, but I just kegged it to make room for a Munich helles that will accompany it for my Oktoberfest party. Anyways, I tried it and it tastes incredible, I mean it realllllly tastes good one of the best recipes I've ever done and one of the best beers honestly I've ever tasted, so I thought I'd share my recipe here In case anyone wants to give it a shot, still time to have it sometime in October even tho the festivities will technically be over lol.

I do 12.5 gallon batches but here's my recipe n stats
Efficiency on my set up is about 80% so adjust for yours.
IBU: 21 SRM: 10.6 ABV: 5.25%
OG: 1.053(13.25P) TG: 1.013(3.25P)

8lb Bries Pilsner Malt 33%
8lb Bries Vienna Malt 33%
5lb Best Malz Munich 21%
2lb Weyermann caramunich III 8%
1lb weyermann melanoidin 4%

1oz Hallertauer 5.2% AA 90 Min (yes 90 minutes.. Pilsner malt has a higher amount of DMS, so boiling longer will help rid that)
.75oz hallertauer ---- 50 min
.25oz hallertauer ---- 15 min

Make starter (I used a wyeast Czech pilsner yeast that I harvested off of a bohemian/Czech pils I did)
Aerate the crap out of the wort (I use pure o2 with a SS stone for a couple minutes)
Pitch yeast at 62, wait 24 hours and drop temp to 54
Let it ferment down to about 20% left to attenuate (around 1.022) and naturally let the temp rise to 60-62 for a diacetyl rest (even though the flavor profile has already been established by this point, i wouldnt go any higher than 62 as 62 is plenty high for just about every lager strain to complete a fermentation/D rest) - (usually 2-3 days- 12.5 gallons takes a while to raise 6-8 degrees in the basement so raising the temp usually takes a day itself)
Take a gravity reading and be sure beer has attenuated fully or within 1 or maybe 2 SPG points from TG
Begin reducing temp by 5 degrees per day until 33F - or higher if you are unable to lager as long, maybe 40 for 3 weeks and then 33 for final week before kegging and carbing/ bottling.
I would recommend racking to a secondary for lagering once temp is at 50 or just below. This will keep CO2 in solution better during the transfer, and will also keep the yeast compacted down since it is cold, plus more yeast will floc out so there's not as much in the lagering vessel/secondary.

I plan on force carbing very slowly to have a perfect carbonation rather than blasting it with 30psi or something.. After waiting 3 months by the time I drink it, All the small things will matter - to me at least.

And yes to all you other beer geeks, lol, I know the recipe is not 100% traditional, I know that Vienna traditionally make up most of the base and is balanced by the Munich, I like the less harsh flavor profile that the pilsner adds as it plays with the Vienna and added a nice full body without the "bock" like flavor, besides if you make a porter I'm sure most everyone now a days uses a pale base malt right? (not so traditional! Lol), and melanoidin isn't traditional either but I used to to imitate the effect of decoction which I love. also I know the hop addition at 15 may be unusual, but the aroma it adds is hardly none, but what it does add is subtle and is definitely way, way behind the aroma of the malt, and leads your smell into the subtle flavors of the earlier hop additions - and trust me the Czech yeast was good for this one, I'll be doing the same recipe with Augustiner yeast from TBSI that I got my hands on from a professional brewer from my work (so I'll post how that one is too) but that yeast fermented nice and clean which let everything else power through.

Tell me what you think if you end up brewing it anyone!
Oh yeah I'll post a picture when I tap it in a couple weeks - its crystal clear and as bright as any filtered beer I've ever had w/out filtering.

- the yeast wrangler

Old 09-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #68
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

WRT Yooper's original post...

When I brewed this it was a little heavy bodied for me. Very malty and a little sweet. Like a sweeter version of Magic Hat's HEX. I'm sure my mashing had something to do with this.

I gave a bomber of it to my father in law who put it in his fridge for 8 months before I found it; I wish I'd given him the whole batch cause it was awesome after what amounts to about a year of lagering!

Old 02-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #69
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I decided to give this spin rather than a Munich dunkel for my first lager. I added an extra half pound of Munich and am I heating my strike water right now.

Thanks Yoop.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #70
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Update. I kegged it last week to lager in my keezer. It turned out amazing. I stayed true to the recipe with the exception of a decoction mash and subbed Augustiner lager yeast. I cant wait to see how it improves after it lagers for a few months.

Quick Reply