Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Marzen/Oktoberfest

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #51
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Williamsburg
Posts: 1,155
Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Default


Ok... Finished primary ( checked at 5 days and there was no D at all).
Moved it to the carboy to secondary and at 21 days(14 days after primary) ramped it to 34 F which it reached today (dropping 2 deg per day).

A couple of days ago I noticed a few hazey flakey looking things on the surface that was otherwise clear along with a few small yeast globs. It's been 29 days since brewday and the move from primary to secondary has been 3 weeks ago. I am PRAYING this is not an infection.
Pulled a thief sample today and it tasted amazing and was clear, malty and not mouth coating as I would expect with diacetal.

Issue: It smelled strongly of Butterscotch and apples. More of AA than D. It tasted good; not sour or astringent at all.
Infected or expected?
This is a far as I have ever gotten with a lager so I don't know what I'm looking at here. I assume that it should taste a little not good or you'd be telling me to drink it rather than lager for another month and a half.

__________________
Brewskii is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #52
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,189
Liked 4505 Times on 3276 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
Ok... Finished primary ( checked at 5 days and there was no D at all).
Moved it to the carboy to secondary and at 21 days(14 days after primary) ramped it to 34 F which it reached today (dropping 2 deg per day).

A couple of days ago I noticed a few hazey flakey looking things on the surface that was otherwise clear along with a few small yeast globs. It's been 29 days since brewday and the move from primary to secondary has been 3 weeks ago. I am PRAYING this is not an infection.
Pulled a thief sample today and it tasted amazing and was clear, malty and not mouth coating as I would expect with diacetal.

Issue: It smelled strongly of Butterscotch and apples. More of AA than D. It tasted good; not sour or astringent at all.
Infected or expected?
This is a far as I have ever gotten with a lager so I don't know what I'm looking at here. I assume that it should taste a little not good or you'd be telling me to drink it rather than lager for another month and a half.
If it smells of butterscotch and apples, I would think it wouldn't be ready for lagering. "Apples" tends to be acetaldehyde while butterscotch is usually diacetyl. My advise would be to do the diacetyl rest, and not rack until that's gone. However, since you've already racked and begun lagering, you can hope that it's NOT diacetyl or acetaldehyde and that it will go away with some time.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #53
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Williamsburg
Posts: 1,155
Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Default


Thanks. Sorry to say I'm not going to see this one through.... "Flakes" was wishful thinking. It is a film on the surface (read: lactic infection).
30 days shot to hell!
I'm gonna do it one more time ( I am THAT confident that I'm going to love this beer) but it's gonna have to wait for the new year. I think I'm done with secondary too... At least on this one.
I picked up a new transfer hose and I'm gonna stay away from the palstic buckets for a while. That makes 3 times this year ( twice with this recipie if you can believe it).
Oh well.

__________________
Brewskii is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #54
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Williamsburg
Posts: 1,155
Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Default


Still a hazy film BUT.... Took a thief sample today and it is nothing short of AMAZING!
I had 2 brewing buddies taste it on new years and all agreed, it's really good and there are no evident off notes at this point.
I still will brew this again soon ( I love it that much) but was thinking about back- to back lagers to share the space in the fermentation freezer...
I love this beer

__________________
Brewskii is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #55
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Williamsburg
Posts: 1,155
Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Default


Bottled this last night. I guess I flaked a little...this beer is perfect in every way. This is a great recipe Yoop; Sorry if my technique leaves something to be desired.
Now that the lager fridge is empty, think I'll do a Doppelbock

__________________
Brewskii is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #56
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,189
Liked 4505 Times on 3276 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
Bottled this last night. I guess I flaked a little...this beer is perfect in every way. This is a great recipe Yoop; Sorry if my technique leaves something to be desired.
Now that the lager fridge is empty, think I'll do a Doppelbock
Sound great! I don't make too many lagers, but I like having one on tap just to have something totally different than my typical IPAs and APAs. I am glad this came out so well for you!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #57
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Williamsburg
Posts: 1,155
Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Default


Tasted today - 1 12 oz 'er to check how it's carbing. It only been 1.5 weeks and its carbed nicely already. This is clean as a whistle and has a wonderful maltyness that is in the nose as much or more than on the pallet. It's like sticking my head in my malt mill bucket and taking a big whiff.....
Crystal clear and really great beer

__________________
Brewskii is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #58
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Isle of Staten
Posts: 10,856
Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Default


We're using this recipe for our upcoming bi-monthly (sort of) group brew day. I'll definitely let you know how it goes. Thanks for this one!

__________________
Fermentor(s):
Lagering:
Bottled: Atonement Brown Porter
Airborneguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #59
coonz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Owosso
Posts: 38
Default


I thinking of doing this as my first lager, how long is it so post to be in the primary, secondary, and overall. And at what temperature?

__________________
coonz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #60
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Williamsburg
Posts: 1,155
Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by coonz
I thinking of doing this as my first lager, how long is it so post to be in the primary, secondary, and overall. And at what temperature?
For lagers in general, The primary temp depends on the strain to a certain extent but it will generally be 50F plus or minus a couple degrees. Once the primary/ secondary ferm is complete you will lager it for around 60-90 days at close to freezing ( I lager at 34 F as a rule but you can go as low as 28 or so before you have to worry about freezing it).

I would go to the website of the yeast you choose and use the lower fermentation temp listed. It should come out nice and clean.
__________________
Brewskii is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 week oktoberfest/marzen recipe blackwaterbrewer Recipes/Ingredients 1 08-31-2009 08:55 PM
My Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager wedward Recipes/Ingredients 9 08-30-2009 04:06 AM
Oktoberfest marzen balto charlie Recipes/Ingredients 42 06-11-2009 05:31 PM
AHS Oktoberfest/Marzen Mini-Mash Kit nostalgia Recipes/Ingredients 18 10-27-2008 03:18 AM
Help me with a marzen recipe rocketman768 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 03-07-2008 03:36 PM