Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Marzen/Oktoberfest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #41
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

OK cool. Thats what I was figuring. This beer needs a few months to mature. Atleast I hope thats what I'm tasting. Its hard not to drink one every week just to see how its progressing, They'll be gone by October

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #42
schoolcb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT View Post
From what I understand this is a beer you want to store to let it mature. How long would you say that is? I am storing mine at around 68F. I had one last night and the carbonation is great, its clear as a bell and is just a nice looking beer. However, it taste like it needs a bit more time to mature. How long do you normally let this age? October
Once fermentation is done, you want to lager it (I take mine down to 34F, for at least a month).

Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #43
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

What yeast is Yooper using for this? I can't open the bsm file at work...

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #44
BigBobsBrews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Gonna be out of town for awhile in July, so i figured this would be the perfect time to use the fermentation fridge for a lager. I scaled the recipe up for 15 gal & am brewing this with a buddy today. Cheers!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #45
coffeediver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A question on this recipe. I am going to be out of town during the fermentation time but will have someone who can change the fermentation temp for me. I will not be able to tell when the fermentation reaches 3/4 done. What would be a general rule of thumb be to change the temp for a diacetyl rest using time only?

Barry

Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #46
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeediver View Post
A question on this recipe. I am going to be out of town during the fermentation time but will have someone who can change the fermentation temp for me. I will not be able to tell when the fermentation reaches 3/4 done. What would be a general rule of thumb be to change the temp for a diacetyl rest using time only?

Barry
Hmmmm. That's a hard one. You could assume two weeks, IF fermentation started within 12-24 hours and was going well. It would probably be sooner, but it's hard to say.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #47
coffeediver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I ferment in a standup freezer with temp controller. The other issue I have is I am just coming off a surgery, will be OK to brew the first week of November, on vacation the 2nd and 3rd week and having surgery again the 1st week in December. I was hoping to get a lager done and let it spend the 6 weeks lagering and then will be able to take care of it after that.

I could do it a bit sooner and check my airlock before I leave and change the temp 10 days from activity and just hope for the best. I am just out of home brew and thought this down time could be spent lagering.

Barry

Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #48
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeediver View Post
I ferment in a standup freezer with temp controller. The other issue I have is I am just coming off a surgery, will be OK to brew the first week of November, on vacation the 2nd and 3rd week and having surgery again the 1st week in December. I was hoping to get a lager done and let it spend the 6 weeks lagering and then will be able to take care of it after that.

I could do it a bit sooner and check my airlock before I leave and change the temp 10 days from activity and just hope for the best. I am just out of home brew and thought this down time could be spent lagering.

Barry
That sounds like a good plan. Good luck with your surgery!

Old 10-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #49
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have just started a 1 imp gallon batch of this (currently on the second half of the mash), my second attempt at an all grain recipe using BIAB, really hoping I can pull this off

I have a couple of questions regarding slight changes to the recipe.
1) After I started weighing out the ingredients I realised that I didnt have the right type of Crystal Malt, mine is 200 as far as I can tell. As its only using such a small amount I went ahead and used it, i guess it will end up a bit darker but will there be any other differences?

2) When dividing all ingredients by 5 to bring it down to roughly the right levels I ended up with 725g Vienna and 91g of Munich. As I bought 1Kg bags this leaves me with only a little of the vienna left but loads of munich. If for a second batch I swapped the vienna and munich around, what sort of differences should I expect? Would it still be a lager?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #50
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ok, so I also just reliased that on yesterdays attempt I didnt notice that the two hop additions were different hops and used the Hallertau hops for both... oops.

Today, as my fridge is now going to be stuck at largering temps I figured I would go ahead and attempt the completely mixed up recipe anyway. So, I am trying to following recipe and will report back if it was any good!

725g Munich
100g Vienna
20g Crystal 200
70g CaraMunich
0.2oz Fuggles 40
0.2oz Hallertau 30

So, swapped vienna and munich over as thats all I have left, swapped much of the crystal for more cara to reduce the colour a bit, swapped in fuggles for one of the additions as thats what I have to hand. Who knows what it will turn in to, I'm following the procedure as listed will report back in a few months I guess!

Quick Reply