Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Marzen/Oktoberfest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #31
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricand View Post
You want to raise the bed temp to just below 170, I'd probably want to use around 180 water and mix quickly. Supposedly the husks will leach tannins above that or something. I try to mash out warmer to thin the sugars and get them to rinse better.
Ok so just mash out normally then. thanks for the help Ricand.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #32
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just got done brewing this. The Step mash was a bit of a pain in the a$$. I didn't hit any of my numbers except my mashout. My first infusion(2 gallons at 166F) was at 144 after ALOT of stirring to get the temp down. My second one (3 gallons @ 168) was Low at 148F so I had to decant about 2 gallons, heat it to almost boiling and add it back into the mash which after 20 minutes came out to 158 and droped to 156 by the time the 30 minutes was up. I then added 3 gallons of 192F water for mashout (mashed for 15 minutes at 167). I ended up collecting 6.25 gallons and did an 80 minute boil to end up at 5 gallons. My Starting gravity before boil was 1.047 and my OG is now 1.057 so a bit high but within tolerance. We'll see how it comes out in a July/August time frame

Old 02-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #33
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT View Post
Just got done brewing this. The Step mash was a bit of a pain in the a$$. I didn't hit any of my numbers except my mashout. My first infusion(2 gallons at 166F) was at 144 after ALOT of stirring to get the temp down. My second one (3 gallons @ 168) was Low at 148F so I had to decant about 2 gallons, heat it to almost boiling and add it back into the mash which after 20 minutes came out to 158 and droped to 156 by the time the 30 minutes was up. I then added 3 gallons of 192F water for mashout (mashed for 15 minutes at 167). I ended up collecting 6.25 gallons and did an 80 minute boil to end up at 5 gallons. My Starting gravity before boil was 1.047 and my OG is now 1.057 so a bit high but within tolerance. We'll see how it comes out in a July/August time frame
I'm betting this will be great beer, you hit the spirit of the rests if not the exact numbers. Looks like the calculations from BTP would have put you a bit closer. Let us know how it progresses through lagering.

If I was too drunk to remember it, it didn't happen.

If you got a good liver.. use it! - wife

CopperCat Brewery

Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #34
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricand View Post
I'm betting this will be great beer, you hit the spirit of the rests if not the exact numbers. Looks like the calculations from BTP would have put you a bit closer. Let us know how it progresses through lagering.
Just got back form Japan so thought I would take a gravity reading. Its been fermenting at 50F for 2 weeks, I am using WL 820 Oktoberfest yeast and its at 1.027, so it has a bit to go. This yeast is known for its slow fermentation. This yeast also likes to start out warm and then cool down to normal lager yeast temp once it Krausesns, which I did. I dont know if I will need a rest or not. I figure I will once it hits 1.022 or so just in case The hydro sample tasted very nice with no trace of Diacatyl.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #35
schoolcb
Recipes 

Curious if anyone has entered this recipe into a competition and what the results were?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #36
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I am brewing this tomorrow!

I had to substitute the caramunich malt with Crystal 60 as that is all my LHBS had. Hope that works.

will let you know how it turns out!

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! - The Dude

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #37
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

UPDATE:
This has been Lagering for about 4 weeks, decided to take a Hydro to see how it was coming along. Gravity is at 1.014. Hope it doenst drop any more for the next 2 weeks. Very tasty though, I know this one will age nicely.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #38
Ceedubya
Recipes 

So I FINALLY got around to brewing this, everthing went mostly well. I missed my 158 temp so had to pull off some liquid and boil really fast. mash ended up taking loger, but hit my effeciency. Then my new burner was having an issue. the week before it worked without flaw, but with all the changes in weather we have been having and all the wind the regulator was giving me hell so it took almost 2 hours to get to full boil

I had already started to boil the first and second runnings, but about the time I added the third it started being goofy. I was a LONG brew day.

but, in the end I nailed the OG, pitched a large starter at 60 degrees, let it sit until I had visible signs of fermentation, and then into the lager fridge. It is still chugging along at about 53 degrees.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #39
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

From what I understand this is a beer you want to store to let it mature. How long would you say that is? I am storing mine at around 68F. I had one last night and the carbonation is great, its clear as a bell and is just a nice looking beer. However, it taste like it needs a bit more time to mature. How long do you normally let this age? October

Old 05-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #40
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Mine is finising out the lager stage @40 degrees in secondary. after a few more weeks I will keg store it at fridge temps til September...... Or I will drink it and make another

Quick Reply