Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Marzen/Oktoberfest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Now to resurrect a 3 year old thread. I'm brewing this today for my Oktoberfest party. I put the info into Beer Tools after having doubled it for 10 gal batch. I put in my efficiency, which is 83% and I'm still only getting an OG of 1.049, Yoop have you brewed this again and are there any modifications you would make?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
bo_
Recipes 

also to bump a very old thread (and stop lurking for once)

this will be our first AG batch. when he says primary until 75%, this means until the gravity is 1.024... right?

pardon the noob, i know you guys get a lot. oh btw, this is also our first lager. we (SWMBO and myself) really tend to go all in lol

Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_ View Post
also to bump a very old thread (and stop lurking for once)

this will be our first AG batch. when he says primary until 75%, this means until the gravity is 1.024... right?

pardon the noob, i know you guys get a lot. oh btw, this is also our first lager. we (SWMBO and myself) really tend to go all in lol
Well welcome.

SHE says 75% done that means when primary is aprox. 3/4 done and has 1/4 left to go to completion AND if there is no diacetyl noted, then rack to secondary for lagering.

Anyone else question the fact that Jamil Zainsheff don't secondary his lagers, but rather just drops the temp gradually until he reaches his lagering temperature?
I haven't beeen that brave yet but was wondering, not to totally hijack this thread.
I plan on a Octoberfest for my next lager.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 06-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
bo_
Recipes 

she, my apologies. i've had like 10 tabs open all day in various forums just reading, and was thinking the whole time that it was deathbrewers recipe for some reason.

i do understand that 75% = 3/4. i simply don't understand how to tell if it is 75% done. i have never lagered, this is our 5th batch overall.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3864 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_ View Post
she, my apologies. i've had like 10 tabs open all day in various forums just reading, and was thinking the whole time that it was deathbrewers recipe for some reason.

i do understand that 75% = 3/4. i simply don't understand how to tell if it is 75% done. i have never lagered, this is our 5th batch overall.
Well, if you're expecting 1.016 for a FG, and it's at 1.020, and it started at 1.060 for example, it's a good time to raise the temperature for the diacetyl rest. You want to do it while the yeast is still active, but when the active fermentation is slowing.

I did NOT do the math on the above- I was using a guess as an example. You don't have to be exact, you just want to do it at the end of fermentation, but while the yeast is still active. If you miss it, and the beer is finished, it's fine to go ahead and do it then. It just works better if you "catch" the yeast still active.

After the diacetyl rest, I rack and then lower the temperature 5 degrees per day until I'm lagering at 34 degrees or so.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
bo_
Recipes 

ah okay, i understand now. thank you yooper

can't wait for october to roll around.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I didn't really taste for diacetyl, I figured it couldn't hurt to help the little guys out at the end anyway. I just bumped it to 68 for a couple of days as a prophylaxis. I'm slowly chilling it 10 degrees a day (not sure why it needs to be slow, but everyone seems to think so) and will have it in the lager fridge in a couple days. I'll definitely use my carb cap and sprizzle up a bit to see how it tastes. I'll need to make other plans for my Oktoberfest party if I screwed it up somehow.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
bo_
Recipes 

alright, grain is all measured and we are ready to go.

the only thing i am considering is an acid rest. seeing as how i am learning as i go, i have no idea what our water profile is here. would it be smart to do an acid rest just in case? or just go ahead with the beta and alpha?

Last edited by bo_; 06-27-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #19
bo_
Recipes 

now fermenting steady at 50F, i did not do an acid rest after some more reading. OG was 1.052. i pitched a half gallon starter too.

using the old fridge that was in our house when we moved in, the range on it is about 32 to 55 degrees, so it is now the lagering fridge

Old 01-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hey Yooper, when you do your decoction for this, do you just add hot water to bring it up or do you heat your MT on a burner to the desired temp? How would this recipe do with just a Single Infusion Mash?

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Quick Reply