Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   European Amber Lager (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/)
-   -   Marzen/Oktoberfest (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/marzen-oktoberfest-37476/)

Yooper 08-30-2007 12:41 PM

Marzen/Oktoberfest
 
8 Pounds Vienna Malt
1 pound munich malt
8 oz crystal 80L
8 oz caramunich malt
1 oz Tettnang (40 minutes)
1 oz Hallertau (30 minutes)

Beta rest at 140 degrees for 30 minutes. Alpha rest at 158 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool wort to 50 degrees and pitch huge starter. Primary until 75% done, then taste for diacetyl. If needed, do a diacetyl rest. If not needed, rack to secondary for 14 days then begin to drop temp gradually until at 35 degrees. Lager for six weeks. Bottle, allow to carb at room temperature and then store at cellar temps.

Yooper 02-03-2008 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 4311

this is the Beersmith file!

ApolloSpeed 03-24-2009 04:42 PM

did this come out good??

How do you think the taste would be effected if the amount of Munich and Vienna were about the same?

And what about subbing in WLP830? Would it lose some maltyness ?

RCannin 04-28-2009 01:49 PM

In your notes you wrote: "Taste is a bit "sour" not infected but sour-ish." Any idea as to where the sournness came from?

greenbirds 05-12-2009 05:24 AM

Brewed this recipe tonight, subbed half an ounce of Perle for the Hallertau. Pitched a 4L starter of WLP838 (Southern German Lager). According to White Labs it makes a great Marzen/Oktoberfest, so we will see what happens.

944play 05-12-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenbirds (Post 1316666)
Pitched a 4L starter of WLP838 (Southern German Lager). According to White Labs it makes a great Marzen/Oktoberfest, so we will see what happens.

I used 838/2308 (1 pk of each, supposedly the same strain) on a 1.043 Vienna, then a 1.056 (SMaSH) Märzen, and a 1.055 Dortmunder. The Märzen is possibly the BEST BEER I HAVE EVER BREWED. I love this yeast! Very flocculent, really rich mouthfeel, and zero diacetyl.

Yooper 05-12-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCannin (Post 1288914)
In your notes you wrote: "Taste is a bit "sour" not infected but sour-ish." Any idea as to where the sournness came from?

I just saw the question- sorry! I don't know where that "sour" came from, but it did go away and it came out great! It might have been some effects from the yeast.

I was really happy with that recipe- I will probably make it again for my next Oktoberfest.

LooyvilleLarry 05-12-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YooperBrew (Post 366584)
Primary until 75% done, then taste for diacetyl..

Roughly how long is this (I've never lagered before)

Yooper 05-12-2009 12:48 PM

Maybe a week to 10 days in primary, depending on the fermentation. At 50 degrees, it's a bit slower than ales.

greenbirds 05-13-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 944play (Post 1316678)
I used 838/2308 (1 pk of each, supposedly the same strain) on a 1.043 Vienna, then a 1.056 (SMaSH) Märzen, and a 1.055 Dortmunder. The Märzen is possibly the BEST BEER I HAVE EVER BREWED. I love this yeast! Very flocculent, really rich mouthfeel, and zero diacetyl.

Way to get me all excited. Now I have to wait 3+ months til it's ready...


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.