Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Eliot Ness Vienna Lager Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #31
sgraham602
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

gonna brew this in the next few days. never done a lager before. Do you do a diacetyl rest for this? not sure if wlp830 gives off much.

also, is the yeast nutrient necessary? I've made a starter with 2 vials of wlp830

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #32
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham602 View Post
gonna brew this in the next few days. never done a lager before. Do you do a diacetyl rest for this? not sure if wlp830 gives off much.

also, is the yeast nutrient necessary? I've made a starter with 2 vials of wlp830
I usually don't run into diacetyl with 830, but it's worth keeping an eye on. I'd check gravity and for diacetyl at approx 8-12 days. More often than not I don't do one.

As for the yeast nutrient, I use it, is it necessary....probably not. I like the cheap assurance it offers though. Sounds like you are pitching a good amount of yeast....just make sure you oxygenate the wort well. Cheers!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #33
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts

So I made this on 12/29 and have it my garage which is a constant 50 degrees, however this Friday and Saturday it is supposed to get up to 60 degrees. I checked the gravity yesterday and it was at 1.03, should I throw it in my fridge (not temp controlled) or should I just let it go? What are the risks?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #34
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNningonbrew View Post
So I made this on 12/29 and have it my garage which is a constant 50 degrees, however this Friday and Saturday it is supposed to get up to 60 degrees. I checked the gravity yesterday and it was at 1.03, should I throw it in my fridge (not temp controlled) or should I just let it go? What are the risks?
It might be close to being finished up by then. The increase in temps will be just in time for a diacetyl rest. I would take another gravity reading Thursday. If it is under 1.023, I'd leave it out in the warmer temps. Since your fridge isn't temp controlled, it will get too cold and could cause the yeast to drop out early.

I think that you are risking more putting it in a fridge than leaving it out. It sounds like it is fermenting nicely and should be reaching the range (2/3 done) of doing a diacetyl rest anways. Good timing for the warm weather to hit! If you fridge it and the yeast drop out, you either will end up with an underattenuated beer, or you'd have to pitch more yeast to drop the gravity.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #35
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice, just checked the gravity it's at 1.020, I will let it sit another 2 weeks, then lager it for a month

Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #36
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, just checked the gravity it's at 1.020, I will let it sit another 2 weeks, then lager it for a month
No prob! Yep, 1.020 is right where it should be for your D-rest. Can't wait to hear how it turns out for you

Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #37
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Do you ever lager in the keg? If so do you put some co2 in to clear the headspace?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #38
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNningonbrew
Do you ever lager in the keg? If so do you put some co2 in to clear the headspace?
I have in the past, but lately I just rack to a secondary. Yes I always made sure to hit it with enough gas to deal the lid and clear any headspace O2.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #39
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Just took another reading, down to 1.016, I like the taste at this point so I think I'm going to throw it in my fridge for lagering for a month. How do you keg this? Force carbonate? Can you use priming sugar, if so what is the process take it back out at room temp?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #40
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Just took another reading, down to 1.016, I like the taste at this point so I think I'm going to throw it in my fridge for lagering for a month. How do you keg this? Force carbonate? Can you use priming sugar, if so what is the process take it back out at room temp?
I force carb everything. Yep you can use priming sugar, but you may want to repitch some yeast if you go that route. Yeah, if you were going to prime it, after you're done lagering, pull it out of the fridge and let it warm back to room temp. Add the new yeast (you can use something like US-05 or any neutral yeast since the flavor profile is already set). Add your priming sugar and let sit at room temp for 3 weeks.

Quick Reply