Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Eliot Ness Vienna Lager Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstrat View Post
Just polished off the last of my Keg of this recipe, it was very tasty, I can't wait to brew this again! The flavor of the Caramunich III took center stage for the malt flavors, which I really liked. I did a side by side comparison with mine and the Great Lakes Version and was suprised how close they were, maybe I'm biased but I liked this version more. A++ for the recipe, thanks Newbeerguy for sharing!!
Glad to hear you enjoyed it and thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback and really happy it was to your liking! I know my dad has been on me to brew some more of this up for him. This is one of his favorite recipes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #12
SeeFeeds
Recipes 

Brewed this back in March, primary for two weeks, D-rest for two days, and lagered at 34* for a full two months. I bottled this beer last month and just tried one - probably the best beer I've ever made. Big thanks for posting this recipe.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeFeeds View Post
Brewed this back in March, primary for two weeks, D-rest for two days, and lagered at 34* for a full two months. I bottled this beer last month and just tried one - probably the best beer I've ever made. Big thanks for posting this recipe.
Thats awesome to hear! I am glad you decided to give it a shot and it turned out great for you. I really enjoy this one as well. I give you props for waiting so long after brewing to taste, I think the additional time really makes it better. Cheers!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
idigg
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I'm going to brew this as soon as my Oktoberfest is done lagering. Will it be okay if use Wyeast Munich? Also, I was thinking of doing a 9.5 gallon boil to end up with 8 gallons and split between 2 buckets for primary then transfer to 2 better bottles. Will it be okay to have 4 gallons in a 6 gallon better bottle while lagering or is that too much headspace? Thanks!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #15
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigg View Post
I'm going to brew this as soon as my Oktoberfest is done lagering. Will it be okay if use Wyeast Munich? Also, I was thinking of doing a 9.5 gallon boil to end up with 8 gallons and split between 2 buckets for primary then transfer to 2 better bottles. Will it be okay to have 4 gallons in a 6 gallon better bottle while lagering or is that too much headspace? Thanks!
Glad to hear you're going to give this a shot! Yep, will be fine using the Wyeast Munich yeast. Just make sure you make a very nice healthy starter.

As for the lagering, personally if you have the capabilities, I'd lager right in a keg under a blanket of C02. I cannot say that lagering 4 gallons in a 6 gallon BB will affect anything or not, but I don't think I'd do it.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
idigg
Recipes 

Well, Oktoberfest is done lagering, and I'll be brewing 11 gallons of this Saturday (2 brew sessions unfortunately). Hopefully wyeast munich 2308 yeast will be okay for this as I have 2 starters going for this beer. Cheers.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
idigg
Recipes 

First brew is whirlpooling. Hit 1.062 and 5.5 gallons, mashing 2nd brew in 10min. I should have plenty of lager for winter!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
First brew is whirlpooling. Hit 1.062 and 5.5 gallons, mashing 2nd brew in 10min. I should have plenty of lager for winter!
Awesome! Please be sure to update and let us know how it turns out for you.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
idigg
Recipes 

Just bottled 5 gallons and I'm going to keg the other 5 gallons in just a bit. Smelled wonderful. A hoppy lager. Newbeerguy, do you keg by chance? I would like to possibly serve the keg portion next Saturday (12/22). I haven't kegged in awhile, could I put the PSI to 30psi for 30 hours then to 10psi and be able to possibly serve this in 7 days? Thanks!

Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Just bottled 5 gallons and I'm going to keg the other 5 gallons in just a bit. Smelled wonderful. A hoppy lager. Newbeerguy, do you keg by chance? I would like to possibly serve the keg portion next Saturday (12/22). I haven't kegged in awhile, could I put the PSI to 30psi for 30 hours then to 10psi and be able to possibly serve this in 7 days? Thanks!
Yep I do keg. Here is what I do when I carb....I will make sure the beer is cold (lagering temps), transfer to keg. Hook it up to gas 25-30psi. Shake it for 5-10mins. Leave it hooked up at that pressure for 12-24hrs. Turn down to serving psi and vent keg. You should have no problem having it carbed up within the week.

Quick Reply