Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Brad's Vienna Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #31
bluebrew17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The SRM is really low on this, shouldn't you add like 2oz of black patent or something to get a slightly darker vienna color?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #32
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrew17 View Post
The SRM is really low on this, shouldn't you add like 2oz of black patent or something to get a slightly darker vienna color?
If you're looking to brew totally to style you probably should. I don't have much interest in that myself as it adds nothing to the flavour in this case.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #33
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrew17 View Post
When I'm trying to brew one to style I use a little Carafa Special II (i.e. dehusked, ~410 SRM). I think my last one used 1.5 oz but it had some dark munich too.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #34
Bugaboo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewed this a while back. Drank it pretty fast. Added some carapils i had left over from another beer just to get the color right for style.

Good beer. Wouldn't make it again because it's a smash beer, therefore simple. And that's to point. Really helps you understand what the ingredients taste like, which helps me think about what will happen to future recipes if I add vienna malt or hallertau.

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
-Deep Thought, Jack Handy

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #35
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

After much anguish and deliberation, I've decided to try this first w/o doing my first decoction attempt.

So, I'm going single infusion and thinking about a mash temp of about 154 for 60 minutes. So, no melanoidins for me

But, we'll see how she goes. I still have high hopes for it and I'm beginning the brew now so if anyone has any tips or suggestions, feel free to let me know

Cheers

Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #36
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2
After much anguish and deliberation, I've decided to try this first w/o doing my first decoction attempt.

So, I'm going single infusion and thinking about a mash temp of about 154 for 60 minutes. So, no melanoidins for me
Do the decoction I did it for my 2nd all grain and its not hard at all, I just did plenty of reasearch and watched youtube videos on it, it'll help so much with the traditional malt flavor

Old 06-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #37
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have brewed this recipe 4-5 times now and I love it. I have brewed it multiple ways as well, decoction, single infusion, multiple infusion. It's an awesome beer that shows how great a simple recipe lager really can be.

Quick Reply