Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Brad's Vienna Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #31
bluebrew17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The SRM is really low on this, shouldn't you add like 2oz of black patent or something to get a slightly darker vienna color?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #32
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrew17 View Post
The SRM is really low on this, shouldn't you add like 2oz of black patent or something to get a slightly darker vienna color?
If you're looking to brew totally to style you probably should. I don't have much interest in that myself as it adds nothing to the flavour in this case.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 06-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #33
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrew17 View Post
When I'm trying to brew one to style I use a little Carafa Special II (i.e. dehusked, ~410 SRM). I think my last one used 1.5 oz but it had some dark munich too.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #34
Bugaboo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewed this a while back. Drank it pretty fast. Added some carapils i had left over from another beer just to get the color right for style.

Good beer. Wouldn't make it again because it's a smash beer, therefore simple. And that's to point. Really helps you understand what the ingredients taste like, which helps me think about what will happen to future recipes if I add vienna malt or hallertau.

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
-Deep Thought, Jack Handy

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 12-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #35
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

After much anguish and deliberation, I've decided to try this first w/o doing my first decoction attempt.

So, I'm going single infusion and thinking about a mash temp of about 154 for 60 minutes. So, no melanoidins for me

But, we'll see how she goes. I still have high hopes for it and I'm beginning the brew now so if anyone has any tips or suggestions, feel free to let me know

Cheers

Old 09-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #36
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2
After much anguish and deliberation, I've decided to try this first w/o doing my first decoction attempt.

So, I'm going single infusion and thinking about a mash temp of about 154 for 60 minutes. So, no melanoidins for me
Do the decoction I did it for my 2nd all grain and its not hard at all, I just did plenty of reasearch and watched youtube videos on it, it'll help so much with the traditional malt flavor

Old 06-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #37
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have brewed this recipe 4-5 times now and I love it. I have brewed it multiple ways as well, decoction, single infusion, multiple infusion. It's an awesome beer that shows how great a simple recipe lager really can be.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:36 AM   #38
dye4me
Recipes 

I would really like to try this beer out but I seem to be struggling with understanding the mash schedule. Could someone help me the following:

-How long is this mash in total?
-At what time in the mash are the decoctions pulled and added back in? I don't understand the note " step time represent how far back decoction is pulled" How far from where?
-Is the rest time the duration of the rest or the time in the mash that the rest begins?
-Do i pull the decoction and heat it to infusion temperature, and just keep it boiling until its ready to go back in?
-Could someone help me with the ratio of the decoction, Im used to ratios expressed as 1:3 not as 1.36 or 3.13. How much water and how much grist should be pulled for first and second decoction?

Sorry if these question seem dim and obvious to everyone else but ive been reading this for quite some time and it still makes not alot of sense so if someone could help me sort it out that would be great.

Thanks

Quick Reply