Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - Boston Lager Clone (Decoction/Krausening AG recipe)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

So I am planning on doing this brew with the Decoction mash as my first Lager in a long time and my first Decoction all together. I am planning on kegging the batch and force carbing instead of the Krausening. I was wondering however, once I have fermented the beer out for about 4 weeks at 50 degrees and am ready for the Lagering process, would it be ok for me to just transfer the batch from 50 degrees into my keg and put it directly into my kegerator and allow it to cold-age (Lager) for however long necessary? Or is it absolutely necessary to drop the temperature by a degree or 2 everyday until I reach ~30 degrees? I am trying to minimize the amount of time this lager takes up in my fermentation chamber allowing for me to continue cranking out Ales instead of waiting 2+ months in order to brew again. Also, would it be advisable to do a diacytel (sp?) rest for a day or 2 before transferring to keg?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #22
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Also, your water numbers seem a bit off to me. 12.5 quarts of water plus the other 15 quarts of sparge water add up to 27.5 qts = ~6.9 gallons of water. The grains ate up well over a gallon for me which would have left me with 6 gallons or less before the boil, which is stated to be the batch size (post-boil volume). After the boil I would have been left with under 5 gallons for a "6 gallon batch". If I am wrong in anyway could someone point it out to me, becayse I brewed this 2 days ago and luckily I was able to RDWHAHB and think on my feet and just add an extra gallon or so to the 15 qt's in order to reach my proper pre-boil volume. By the way, I hit the OG of 1.048 on the dot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply