Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Pilsner > All-Grain - Something Like "Stella"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #61
bmason1623
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I am currently drinking my second of four batches that I have brewed using this grain bill and hop schedule. The only thing I change is the yeast. Currently, I'm drinking a batch that used 2035 American Lager from Wyeast. It's quite refreshing and tasty. I love this recipe because of its simplicity. The last two batches are made with a Bohemian Lager 2124 and a Munich Lager (nomenclature escapes me at the moment). Those have been lagering for over a month so they should be ready. I have plenty of lagers for the impending hot summer. I'm ready!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #62
suicider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Brewing this as my first lager. What kind of water is everyone using? I was thinking of going half tap water half distilled water just to be onthe safeside.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #63
bmason1623

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider
Brewing this as my first lager. What kind of water is everyone using? I was thinking of going half tap water half distilled water just to be onthe safeside.
I just filter my Chicago tap water.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #64
suicider
Recipes 

Well, my. Mash temp was a bit low at around 145 so I guess it'll be a tad lighter than usual. I'm used to doing ales with mashes over 150 so seeing that far under made me a bit nervous. Anyway I plan on bottling this so when should I add pruning sugar and bottle? After lagering or after secondary or what? Also how high and long should I do a diacetyl rest for? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #65
suicider
Recipes 

alright, so after 70 hours i see no bubbles but at least an inch of yeast at the bottom. i know i underpitched cuz the lhbs only had one vial left of the yeast i wanted and i am as yet too laZy to make a starter. took a hydrometer sample and it went from 1.060 to 1.050 seem normal? should i maybe rouse the yeast or anything or rdwhahb? when i took my first sample on brewday it had a lot of trub in it. would that effect my og? I'll be glad when my first lager experience is over.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #66
suicider
Recipes 

Finally after pitching yeast late saturday , Thursday I finally started seeing krausen and bubbling. It's been at 50 degrees this whole time. Any need to worry with such a long lag time?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #67
bmason1623

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Finally after pitching yeast late saturday , Thursday I finally started seeing krausen and bubbling. It's been at 50 degrees this whole time. Any need to worry with such a long lag time?
I think you'll be fine but you may want to ferment at 52-53 maybe. Just my opinion.

Chicago Homebrewer's Yeast Bank Project

Chicago Home Brewers Group

Chicago Home Brewers Group Forum

Chicago Home Brewers Group Facebook Page

Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #68
suicider
Recipes 

I'm still getting a feel for my analog temp controller. It's like ten degrees warmer in the fridge than on the dial so I'm happy to be in the ballpark. Two or three degrees makes a significant difference ya think?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #69
bmason1623

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider
I'm still getting a feel for my analog temp controller. It's like ten degrees warmer in the fridge than on the dial so I'm happy to be in the ballpark. Two or three degrees makes a significant difference ya think?
I think it does

Chicago Homebrewer's Yeast Bank Project

Chicago Home Brewers Group

Chicago Home Brewers Group Forum

Chicago Home Brewers Group Facebook Page

Old 10-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #70
suicider
Recipes 

being as my fermentation took forever to start, should i wait a couple days to do a diacetyl rest? it was smelling kinda buttery there for a day or two but doesn't really smell that way now. bubbles were coming out every thirty seconds or so when i checked on it yesterday.

Quick Reply