Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Pilsner > All-Grain - Something Like "Stella"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2014, 03:54 AM   #101
Greatbreweh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love Stella...............

but for what everyone says is such a simple recipe it sure sounds like a very complex one.

bumping... want to hear perfection for me to pursue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 AM   #102
DrWill
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbreweh View Post

but for what everyone says is such a simple recipe it sure sounds like a very complex one.

Looking at the original recipe the grain bill is just 2 row and pilsner, maybe some rice if you want. I think that's what people mean when they call it simple; no "character" or high colour malts.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Magic.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #103
spark_plug
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatbreweh View Post

This recipe is super easy, I've done it or similar around 6 times now. The one variation I did that produced one of the best pilsners yet was a 90 minute boil with Hallertau Tradition for bittering, and then hit real hard with about 5 oz of Saaz over the final 30 minutes. Recipe adjusted for 6% abv, and I used some corn sugar late in the boil to get a good ferment. 10gal keg full literally disappeared.

Mashing means a fair bit here as well, I prefer on recipes like this to mash lower and longer, 90 minutes minimum if you like your beer dry. (149/150F but wouldn't go much higher.) I've mashed this recipe for 4 hours and was able to get 1.006 as a final reading.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #104
handp
Recipes 

OK, It appears as though some folks didn't actually take the time to read my entire diatribe regarding our initial attempts at this recipe in a 10 Gallon All Grain. Which I understand completely, it was really really long...

So...here goes again.

We have Beersmith. We scaled the recipe to 10 gallon all grain.

Our two biggest mistakes were not stirring the wort after the boil and dumping in the bag of ice. Our hydrometer reading was low for very good reasons. We made some very stupid rookie mistakes that ended up in us creating a beer that was absolutely gorgeous to look at....ridiculously crystal clear even with no filtering, irish moss or isenglass, with a beautiful head on it....but with absolutely no flavor or alcohol in it. It was pretty much beer tea.

The funny thing about homebrewing is...no matter how many books you read or forums posts or dvds you watch, everybody seems to leave out a little bit of information along the way. Everybody from the masters to the amateur homebrewer with an opinion harps and yells about things like sanitation, ferment temps, grain and yeast profiles on and on and on....

Yet noone including John palmer for instance takes the time to touch on the very very basics. Things like gently stir the wort with your wort chiller to bring the temp down quickly....well how fast is too fast? Is there such a thing as chilling it too quickly? Everything i've read points to getting it down below 75 as quickly as you can.

What about reading the hydrometer? What do all the little lines mean? How do you read a brix meter properly? What do you do if the readings are off...how can you correct it? It's little things like this that you never really get much discussion of that leads to stupid little mistakes.

Our last go round...we hit all our numbers perfectly. Got the wort chilled in 12-15 minutes...got active fermentation right out of the gate etc. But we switched to an ESB, we'll be doing the Stella Clone again in a month and i'll report back on the outcome of that one.

Quick Reply