Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Pilsner > Extract - Saphir Pils

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #31
HOOTER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I'm excited to hear how this turns out for you guys, especially since you're following a more proper procedure with your temps. I'll have to do this one again once I get more reliable temp control. It turned out great for me so I can only imagine how well your beers should turn out. Keep us posted.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #32
Korben
Recipes 

I racked mine to secondary this weekend. It was still rather cloudy, I am hoping that will it will clear. I am going to drop the temp by 5 degrees per day to get to 35 degrees and lager for 1 month. Also, is wlp800 a top fermenting yeast? I really couldn't see the top of the brew because of krausen residue left stuck to the better bottle. I did see some offwhiteish particles while racking at the top of the beer line. Slightly concerned about infection, but I have never had one before and don't really think I have one now. Just wanted to know a little more about how this thing went for everyone else. Really wanted a nice clear brew.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 AM   #33
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korben View Post
I racked mine to secondary this weekend. It was still rather cloudy, I am hoping that will it will clear. I am going to drop the temp by 5 degrees per day to get to 35 degrees and lager for 1 month. Also, is wlp800 a top fermenting yeast? I really couldn't see the top of the brew because of krausen residue left stuck to the better bottle. I did see some offwhiteish particles while racking at the top of the beer line. Slightly concerned about infection, but I have never had one before and don't really think I have one now. Just wanted to know a little more about how this thing went for everyone else. Really wanted a nice clear brew.
Lager yeasts are bottom fermenters. I'm sure those particles you're talking about are nothing. This beer will clear quite a bit in secondary. Are you kegging or bottling?

Quote:

Old 06-01-2010, 05:01 AM   #34
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
Puterbaugh Farms. Awesome prices. Someone on here just posted about their deals and I jumped on it. Bought 4 pounds total

Puterbaugh Farms = hopsdirect.com

Old 06-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #35
Korben
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOTER View Post
Lager yeasts are bottom fermenters. I'm sure those particles you're talking about are nothing. This beer will clear quite a bit in secondary. Are you kegging or bottling?
I knew that... about lager yeast man i have had a rough couple days. I think I got a serious case of the dumb.

I am bottling..

Also. I think it was just left over from my rather larger krausen/blow off material.

Last edited by Korben; 06-01-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #36
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korben View Post
WLP800 is bottom fermenting, as is all lager yeast. There is still going to be the krausen crud though, and that is probably what you saw on the top. As for clearing. It'll clear as it lagers and the yeast drops out. Lager yeast takes a lot longer to complete its process and go dormant than ale yeast. Also, dry hopped beers tend to have a slight haze to them anyway when unfiltered.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #37
Korben
Recipes 

Mine has been lagering for two weeks at 35 degrees now and has still yet to clear... but just a little smell through the airlock smells great. Hope it will drop clear soon.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 AM   #38
rpg
Recipes 

I've never done dry hopping, so I'm looking for some clarification... the recipe says ".5 oz. Saphir (dry hop-1 week secondary)" with a total time of 21 days in the secondary. Does this mean I add the hops for the last week in the secondary, or does it mean something else?

Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #39
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg View Post
I've never done dry hopping, so I'm looking for some clarification... the recipe says ".5 oz. Saphir (dry hop-1 week secondary)" with a total time of 21 days in the secondary. Does this mean I add the hops for the last week in the secondary, or does it mean something else?
Yep, just throw them in during the last week of secondary.

Quote:

Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #40
rpg
Recipes 

Thanks, Hooter! I have a honey ale coming out of primary in a few days, and I'm really looking forward to trying your pilsner.

Quick Reply